Apple protests against proposed Japanese App Store laws

Posted:
in iOS
Japan's government says that it is considering new regulations to ensure fair App Store competition, while Apple denies its practices limit competitors.

Apple Store in Japan
Apple Store in Japan

Apple's App Store has already been under scrutiny by Japanese regulators, and both it and Google became subject to an antitrust investigation in the country in 2021.

According to the Japan Times, local authorities have published an interim report that concludes Apple and Google's dominance can affect app developers and other related businesses.

The report by Japan's council on digital market competition recommends that legislation be considered that would limit the ability of Apple and Google to materially change market conditions.

"It's important to ensure innovation by various entities and provide consumers with opportunities to choose options," Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, and council chair, said.

"We respectfully disagree with a number of conclusions [in the report]," responded Apple. The company chiefly argued that its position is never one of market leader, and instead it continually faces "intense competition in every business segment" it works in.

Google has issued a statement say it has been actively cooperating with the authorities, and intends to further examine the interim report.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,294member
    I say it again. Follow the money. Who’s pushing this? What about all the Japanese companies that restrict access? Toyota would not allow CarPlay on their head units. Isn’t that something the Japanese government should have investigated? Apple produces products. Why do they have to let others play in their game? Plenty of other companies that are more restrictive. 
    viclauyyckillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,616member
    By the time the Japanese and Russians, authorities in Belgium, France, Brazil, the US, Korea, and much of the rest of the worldwide market finish addressing this Apple and Google will have no options other than compliance. End of story. The days of them running the show are done and over, but it was golden profits while it lasted. 
    ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,294member
    gatorguy said:
    By the time the Japanese and Russians, authorities in Belgium, France, Brazil, the US, Korea, and much of the rest of the worldwide market finish addressing this Apple and Google will have no options other than compliance. End of story. The days of them running the show are done and over, but it was golden profits while it lasted. 
    And customers will be left with a pile of garbage to sift through while governments will have front doors to everything on every system being produced. 
    bloggerblogchadbagviclauyyckillroyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,509member
    rob53 said:
    I say it again. Follow the money. Who’s pushing this? What about all the Japanese companies that restrict access? Toyota would not allow CarPlay on their head units. Isn’t that something the Japanese government should have investigated? Apple produces products. Why do they have to let others play in their game? Plenty of other companies that are more restrictive. 
    I for one am hoping Apple will make renting an iPhone or iPad more attractive than buying one, to keep their current ecosystem. It would be so annoying to have to deal with antivirus, third party stores, modes of payment, etc on a mobile device. I want the walled-garden, it's secure, easy, and frictionless. In the future my iPhone is going to store my drivers license, passport, credit cards, house keys, car keys, and other sensitive information, would not trust all that in an open system.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Sure Japan was innovative, 30 years ago. Not so much now. Sony is the only electronic giant still what relevant.