Apple launches Self Service Repair program for iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2022
Apple's promised Self Service Repair program is now available, with a dedicated Store for ordering iPhone replacement parts.

First announced in November 2021, with a little more detail following later, the new Self Service Repair Store is now open.

In future, the program will be expanded to include self repair parts for the Mac, but for now it is exclusively for the iPhone. It's not for every iPhone, though, and not even the iPhone 11 which Apple still sells as new.

Repair parts can be ordered through the new store for:

• iPhone 12

• iPhone 12 mini

• iPhone 12 Pro

• iPhone 12 Pro Max

• iPhone 13

• iPhone 13 mini

• iPhone 13 Pro

• iPhone 13 Pro Max

• iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Example of ordering replacement parts
Example of ordering replacement parts

The parts or "repair types" available come in what Apple is calling a bundle, for instance with the battery repair bundle consisting of a general screw kit, security screws, and adhesive, as well as the new battery itself.

It's also possible to separately order the individual elements of the bundle. A wide range of repair tools can be bought, and an overall iPhone repair kit can be rented from Apple for a week.

Apple is currently offering repair types for:

• Battery

• Bottom speaker

• Camera

• Display

• SIM Tray

• Taptic Engine

In each case, Apple quotes a price but also offers a rebate on receipt of the replaced parts. It costs an initial $70.99 to buy the iPhone 12 battery bundle, with the expectation that the broken, or "core," part will be returned. On return of the replaced part, Apple refunds $24.15.

Following core part return, that makes the battery repair $46.84 for the iPhone 12. The after-return prices for battery repair part swaps for other iPhone models range from $26.11 for the 2022 iPhone SE, to $46.85 for the iPhone 13 Pro Max bundle.

That $46.84 battery replacement cost is cheaper than Apple's own in-store repair charge of $69. However, a user will have to also spend $49 to rent the tools, if they don't already have them, and AppleCare+ customers can get a replacement battery for free.

The site includes a phone and online chat support service, available 24 hours a day. As yet, though, the whole service is solely available in the US.

As well as comprehensive repair manuals in the new store, Apple has also published detailed documentation on "Expanding Access to Service and Repairs for Apple Devices."

When it was announced, Apple was criticized for producing a service that answered the mounting pressure on Right to Repair, but ultimately did not help users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    The 12 and 13 should be covered under AppleCare so why would someone want to repair these phones themselves?

The 11 should be on the list as well. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ST3LL4ST3LL4 Posts: 3member
    rob53 said:
    The 12 and 13 should be covered under AppleCare so why would someone want to repair these phones themselves?

AppleCare doesn't cover user's mistake and AppleCare+(which covers) is quite expensive.
    Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:

Not for those purchased without AppleCare+ which covers accidental damage, or AppleCare which does not cover accidental damage, especially the 12. And those users who think of themselves as master repair techs won’t have purchased AppleCare in the first place. But no matter what Apple does or includes it won’t be good enough. That’s just how tech blog forums work. What about the 6,7,8,X,11 will be the battle cry. Apple bastards! I want a screen for my 4! C’est la vie.

As for myself, I don’t care. Any repairs or battery replacements will be done by Apple, period. If I spent $900 for an iPhone I won’t rust myself or any third party who hangs out a shingle that says “iPhone Repair”. 
    edited April 2022 rob53fruitstandninjajony0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    ST3LL4 said:
    rob53 said:

AppleCare doesn't cover user's mistake and AppleCare+(which covers) is quite expensive.
    As are parts and a new iPhone when you (others) can’t put it back together. I’ve worked on older iPhones and internal parts were larger but new ones have tiny parts, especially antenna connections, which are easily damaged. 
    Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:

Not for those purchased without AppleCare+ which covers accidental damage, or AppleCare which does not cover accidental damage, especially the 12. And those users who think of themselves as master repair techs won’t have purchased AppleCare in the first place. But no matter what Apple does or includes it won’t be good enough. That’s just how tech blog forums work. What about the 6,7,8,X,11 will be the battle cry. Apple bastards! I want a screen for my 4! C’est la vie.

As for myself, I don’t care. Any repairs or battery replacements will be done by Apple, period. If I spent $900 for an iPhone I won’t rust myself or any third party who hangs out a shingle that says “iPhone Repair”. 

edited April 2022
  • Reply 6 of 9
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    rob53 said:

If you bought AppleCare. Extended warranties are generally not worth buying. 

Reasons for repairing yourself would include not being able to do without your device while it’s away being repaired - it’s a minority of people who actually have good proximity to an Apple Store.

As for earlier devices - design for self-service repair has to be engineered into the product. So if you think about it, Apple planned this for the iPhone 12 model onwards which probably means they were engineering self-repairability into that model for the last 2-3 years. This is not a flash in the pan idea as many have claimed. It’s a deliberate direction they’ve been pursuing for some time. 
    ronnAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 7 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    y2an said:
    rob53 said:

If you bought AppleCare. Extended warranties are generally not worth buying

Reasons for repairing yourself would include not being able to do without your device while it’s away being repaired - it’s a minority of people who actually have good proximity to an Apple Store.

As for earlier devices - design for self-service repair has to be engineered into the product. So if you think about it, Apple planned this for the iPhone 12 model onwards which probably means they were engineering self-repairability into that model for the last 2-3 years. This is not a flash in the pan idea as many have claimed. It’s a deliberate direction they’ve been pursuing for some time. 
    You don't need to be near an Apple Store, there is an entire network of authorized third parties. I used a Best Buy last time. 

As for extended warranties, for TVs and microwaves, sure I agree. But not for iPhones. My partner and I have each dropped our phones and ruined the screen -- instant $400 to replace after taxes. AppleCare lowers this pain. Is it worth it every single year? In hindsight no, but not-knowing is the premise of insurance...if we knew which years we'd drop our phones we'd play the stock market too.
    Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    y2an said:
    rob53 said:

If you bought AppleCare. Extended warranties are generally not worth buying. 

Your argument fails when you consider that 99 out of 100 users do not have the skill or abilities to self-repair anything, including replacing a light bulb in their automobile.
    Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 9 of 9
    All I can say is that iPhone repair is a piece of cake compared to Apple Watch repairs...

I'm sure I could manage something like a battery replacement, but for $20 more, I'd much rather head over to the Apple store and let them do it. Plus, I trust them a LOT more than I do myself to get the water-tight seal correct upon completion than I would trust myself to do so.
    ronnjony0