MacBookPro mid-2015 (A1398) overheating and maxed out fans

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited May 2022
Hi All,

After experiencing a heavy lag and throttling in my MacBookPro mid-2015 model (A1398) recently, I had decided to check the fans for dust and thermal paste under heatsink.

Attaching my MBP specs:

And so, had successfully cleaned the dust and applied a new thermal paste - Cooler MasterGel Regular (https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/thermal-grease/new-mastergel-regular/). I've even formatted the SSD and reinstalled BigSur to start afresh.

Although my MBP is working fine now with no throttling/lag, the overheating is still persistent and the fans seem to be maxed out.
Attaching a TGPro screenshot for the same.
tgpro screenshotpng

Should i be worried about the fans constantly running at the max RPM and temp of 60-70°C always?

I'm thinking of reapplying a new thermal paste, like the Subzero Overclocking C14 paste

Would this be of any help?
Any other suggestions please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Assuming this is a legit post and not just a way to get your Amazon affiliate link in front of folks (that I've removed), the fans should not be running at full throttle all the time. CoolerMaster Gel Regular should be fine, so I suspect you have another issue.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kalykaly Posts: 2member
    Assuming this is a legit post and not just a way to get your Amazon affiliate link in front of folks (that I've removed), the fans should not be running at full throttle all the time. CoolerMaster Gel Regular should be fine, so I suspect you have another issue.
    Lol, if i wanted to promote the amazon link, why bother write up such lengthy article in first place?

• Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kaly said:
    Lol, if i wanted to promote the amazon link, why bother write up such lengthy article in first place?

1) Stranger things have happened in the forums in the interest of getting an affiliate link in front of folks.
    2) Yet, there it was.
    muthuk_vanalingam