Apple has another record-breaking quarter, reporting $97.28B in revenue for Q2 2022

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Meanwhile, in after-hours trading, the stock takes a complete nosedive. Go figure...
    Stock prices are speculative and forward looking. The warning of a 4-8 billion dollar hit in the next quarter is what is causing some short term investors to look at other options. It's not particularly complicated.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 22 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JinTech said:
    But but but but but but……………. /s
    Oh, the haters have already been chiming in. They always do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,046member
    lkrupp said:
    Welp, I guess we should start the death spiral clock, eh? Can’t wait to be told this is actually bad news by the usual crowd here, and why can’t Apple pay its retail workers $100K per week. You know, the usual backhanded slap-in-the-face kind of bullshit. /s
    The wealthiest company in human history working to prevent its own staff from collective bargaining for higher wages in the most expensive cities on the planet is not, in fact,  bullshit. You don't need to lick the boots of the wealthy.
    muthuk_vanalingamDAalsethtmayTRAG
  • Reply 24 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,046member
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Welp, I guess we should start the death spiral clock, eh? Can’t wait to be told this is actually bad news by the usual crowd here, and why can’t Apple pay its retail workers $100K per week. You know, the usual backhanded slap-in-the-face kind of bullshit. /s
    It's all great news, but the gross margin was obscene. Why not take the cash used to hire vulture lawyers to lie to employees about unionization, welcome unions, and negotiate some of that pile o' cash in wage and benefit improvements? If Apple can afford sizable wads of stock options for critical personnel in their engineering and design groups, why not a few $K a year for the folks who actually sell the stuff?
    The folks in the software engineering roles, by building and maintaining the online Apple store, sell more than the folks in the actual stores.  And the ones who build and maintain the App Store sell all the apps and subscriptions and in-app purchases, compared to none of that being sold in the physical stores.  Plus Apple Music and Apple TV+ and iCloud storage, etc.  None of that sold by the physical store employees.  So maybe Apple is paying the various employees equitably.  It takes a lot more talent, knowledge and skills to code than it does to great customers and direct them through a physical purchase.  
    And software engineering already make far, far more than retail workers. $200k+ equity is not unusual. Which has no bearing on the valid reason laborers need to be able to collectively bargain for higher wages in the most expensive cities on earth.

You're basically making the "but it's unskilled labor!" argument, but the reality is: there is no such thing. All labor is skilled, and it's all needed. If it wasn't the jobs wouldn't exist and you could close Apple retail. (Same w/ hospitality jobs -- if it was unskilled the robots would be doing it today, but they aren't because they can't because it's too complicated for robots).

Stop trying to pit workers against workers. I'm an engineer and it doesn't hurt me whatsoever for retail workers to get paid more by the richest company in human history. Cities are expensive (which is why you moved to a less expensive region of the world, right?) 
    muthuk_vanalingamDAalsethdanoxTRAG
  • Reply 25 of 32
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,970member
    At some point Apple WON'T have a record breaking quarter and then a lot of people on Wall Street will panic. 
    LOL
    jony0thtdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    At this point, no one should listen to any price targets or assessments of Apple's performance.  They announce record-breaking quarters on the regular and you still have several mainstream analysts expressing concern about the next quarter.  I've come to believe that's just how it is with Apple and Wall Street.  

I will also note that while it's news, headline after headline stating "X brokerage lowers price targets for Apple due to economic headwinds" really gives a skewed impression of Apple's incredible financial position.  It's somewhat misleading, because "lowerng the target" means predicting a $40/share (or about 30%) increase instead of a 45-50% increase from current levels.  I'm sure its not intentional on AI's part, other news outlets or the analysts themselves.  But the effect is it paints a negative expectation when the real story is Apple is doing incredibly well amongst challenging market conditions.  

edited April 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    The wealthiest company in human history working to prevent its own staff from collective bargaining for higher wages in the most expensive cities on the planet is not, in fact,  bullshit. You don't need to lick the boots of the wealthy.
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:
    It's all great news, but the gross margin was obscene. Why not take the cash used to hire vulture lawyers to lie to employees about unionization, welcome unions, and negotiate some of that pile o' cash in wage and benefit improvements? If Apple can afford sizable wads of stock options for critical personnel in their engineering and design groups, why not a few $K a year for the folks who actually sell the stuff?
    The folks in the software engineering roles, by building and maintaining the online Apple store, sell more than the folks in the actual stores.  And the ones who build and maintain the App Store sell all the apps and subscriptions and in-app purchases, compared to none of that being sold in the physical stores.  Plus Apple Music and Apple TV+ and iCloud storage, etc.  None of that sold by the physical store employees.  So maybe Apple is paying the various employees equitably.  It takes a lot more talent, knowledge and skills to code than it does to great customers and direct them through a physical purchase.  
    And software engineering already make far, far more than retail workers. $200k+ equity is not unusual. Which has no bearing on the valid reason laborers need to be able to collectively bargain for higher wages in the most expensive cities on earth.

You're basically making the "but it's unskilled labor!" argument, but the reality is: there is no such thing. All labor is skilled, and it's all needed. If it wasn't the jobs wouldn't exist and you could close Apple retail. (Same w/ hospitality jobs -- if it was unskilled the robots would be doing it today, but they aren't because they can't because it's too complicated for robots).

Stop trying to pit workers against workers. I'm an engineer and it doesn't hurt me whatsoever for retail workers to get paid more by the richest company in human history. Cities are expensive (which is why you moved to a less expensive region of the world, right?) 
    Well said and nice to see such posts from you.
    tmayTRAG
  • Reply 28 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:

Company CEOs don’t get paid hundreds of times the wages of average workers because they work longer hours or because headquarters are typically located in high-cost-of-living cities.  They get paid so much because their decisions and actions have an outsized effect on the success or failure of the business.  The same can be said for Apple’s software and hardware engineers.  The skills and intellectual talents they supply have a disproportionally higher impact on the success of Apple than the average Apple store employee.  It has a lot more to do with this than any other factor, such as needing to staff the stores or the cost of living in cities, not saying those factors don’t come into play.  

FWIW, my move from Boca Raton to The Philippines had little to do with a cost of living comparison; I can live very comfortably in either place.  My reasons had more to do with culture and lifestyle, a desire to travel and live a less staid life than is typical in the states.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,053member
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:
    You are absolutely correct about that. 

I’m curious, what did Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel make this quarter? I’m trying to think of other relevant players in the market right now but my brain is a bit fried at the moment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:
    You are absolutely correct about that. 

I’m curious, what did Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel make this quarter? I’m trying to think of other relevant players in the market right now but my brain is a bit fried at the moment. 
    QUALCOMM did well. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I think if Apple added just one more service to Apple One their Services segment will skyrocket. Something as simple as Stocks+ or an innovative untapped subscription. An extra service without charging more for the whole package.

Heres a wild idea:
    acquire iHeartMedia with all that cash and add all those radio stations to Apple Music. I just wanna see a big acquisition with all that cash. 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,280member
    sunman42 said:
    lkrupp said:

Company CEOs don’t get paid hundreds of times the wages of average workers because they work longer hours or because headquarters are typically located in high-cost-of-living cities.  They get paid so much because their decisions and actions have an outsized effect on the success or failure of the business.  The same can be said for Apple’s software and hardware engineers.  The skills and intellectual talents they supply have a disproportionally higher impact on the success of Apple than the average Apple store employee.  It has a lot more to do with this than any other factor, such as needing to staff the stores or the cost of living in cities, not saying those factors don’t come into play.  

FWIW, my move from Boca Raton to The Philippines had little to do with a cost of living comparison; I can live very comfortably in either place.  My reasons had more to do with culture and lifestyle, a desire to travel and live a less staid life than is typical in the states.  

There was a time when Apple had no stores and all the smart engineering people on staff in the back room for many years did not help sell crap, it was Steve Jobs opening the physical stores was the stoke of genius, Apple sitting it’s product in Comp USA or Best buy and hoping for the best that was a loser scenario. Apple (Steve Jobs) getting vertical designing the whole widget (a Apple thing) along with a Apple store is where Apple is killing it….

You have forgotten the bad day’s…..
    Beatswatto_cobra