Morgan Stanley lowers Apple price target to $195 on Covid disruptions

Posted:
in General Discussion
Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley has lowered her Apple price target to $195 from $210 because of tough economic conditions in the June quarter, but says Apple still remains a top pick for 2022.

Mac Studio
Mac Studio

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Huberty points out that Apple's March quarter results were better than anticipated. However, her June quarter revenue forecast fell by 3% as a result of Covid-driven supply constraints.

The key, however, is that Apple's constraints are driven by supply and not demand. In fact, Huberty says that Apple's demand is notably stable.

While the March quarter was yet another "clean" fiscal period for Apple and the company's June quarter commentary was "notably more positive," Apple is still facing headwinds from foreign exchange, a sales ban in Russia, and a resurgence of Covid-19 in key Chinese manufacturing cities.

As such, Huberty has trimmed her quarterly revenue forecast for Q3 2022 to $81.1 billion, down from $83.3 billion.

Despite the impact from Covid lockdowns and a small slowdown in the European market because of the Russia sales ban, Huberty believes that the the underlying health of Apple's product and services ecosystem is "remarkably stable."

"While management struck a more cautious tone given the uncertainty of COVID lockdowns in China and continued supply shortages, underlying demand commentary was more constructive, and we believe that an easing of COVID restrictions in China could drive upside to our new June quarter forecast," Huberty writes. "In a market beset by numerous challenges, Apple remains a beacon of stability, and we continue to see Apple as our Top IT Hardware Pick for 2022."

The analyst's new price target of $195, down from $210, is based on an implied price-to-earnings multiple of 30.3x on a new 2023 earnings-per-share estimate of $6.43.

Huberty's comments, like those from JP Morgan, come after Apple's reporting of a financial record-breaking March quarter.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,292member
    Record sales in a down market so of course AAPL drops. Too many people with agendas trying to make money off of nothing. It’s an embarrassment the world is controlled by the stock market.  
  • Reply 2 of 10
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 163member
    rob53 said:
    Record sales in a down market so of course AAPL drops. Too many people with agendas trying to make money off of nothing. It’s an embarrassment the world is controlled by the stock market.  
    The "agenda" is people who constantly want to ascribe a purpose to the stock market other than making money. Like that the market is there to celebrate your favorite brand. I use, appreciate, and prefer Apple products. However, I would short AAPL in a hot second if I felt like that move could make me money. Or any one of a number of other market related activities: Hold long, hold short, filter my mutual or ETF holdings based on how much (or how little) AAPL they hold, and so on. That's what stocks are for. They are for making money. Period. Never invest with your heart. 
    edited April 2022 crowley
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cg27cg27 Posts: 221member
    If Apple ever considered buying Disney now might be the time as DIS keeps falling.  Then again, it could backfire with certain folks perceiving it as Woke buying/rescuing Woke.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,424member
    neoncat said:
    Never invest with your heart. 
    Had I followed that extremely bad advice way back in 1999, I probably still would not have any AAPL shares today.  I've never sold a single share of AAPL over the last 23 years, and having been in the stock market since the late 80's, I've never shorted a single stock either.  Buy good and hold has been my own personal strategy that I have no regrets about.

Here's the better way to think about stock buying...

Never follow stock advice from somebody in the AppleInsider forums.  
    Be smart. Follow your heart.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 5 of 10
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 163member
    jdw said:
    neoncat said:
    Had I followed that extremely bad advice way back in 1999, I probably still would not have any AAPL shares today.  I've never sold a single share of AAPL over the last 23 years, and having been in the stock market since the late 80's, I've never shorted a single stock either.  Buy good and hold has been my own personal strategy that I have no regrets about.

Go ahead and choose 10 companies because you love them but don't do any research into their fundamentals. Buy $100 in stock in each. Let's circle back in a year and see how you've done.

"Buy good and hold" is not bad advice at all. By "good," the assumption is you've done your homework. Buying AAPL in 1999 was a pure risk play. If it wasn't an outsized portion of your portfolio, there was nothing wrong with chasing risk. That you held it for so many years because you "liked" the company is not causal—it could just have easily turned out very badly. Risk is risk, whether you love the source of it or not.

My point was not that AAPL or any stock should be viewed only through a negative lens. The point is that we make decisions with our investments based on a knowledge, not feelings.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,424member
    neoncat said:
    The point is that we make decisions with our investments based on a knowledge, not feelings.
    True, but because we are not Mr. Spock, it's difficult to know what percentage of our stock purchase is based solely on knowledge vs. emotion.  

For example, many years ago, I checked out the stock holdings of the big boys like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates to see if there were stocks common to their portfolios.  My thinking was, these guys either know what they are doing or pay people to help them choose stocks, so by following their lead, I might be able to pick some winners.  I found one stock named Waste Management (WM) in their portfolios that I decided to take a chance on.  The name along didn't sound very appealing but I decided to buy $1,000 to see what would happen.  Through the years, it's proved to be one of the better stocks I've picked outside Apple.  But if I were to say if I picked it solely on knowledge and not on an emotional gut feeling, then I probably would be wrong.  But how much emotion was involved in the purchase is hard to quantify.  Ultimately, I followed my heart about the purchase, and that was really the point of my previous post.  

I am not one to analyze all the boring details about a company or stock.  I'll do a little research, but in the end, the buying decision involves my emotions too.
    edited April 2022 retrogusto
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rob53 said:
    Stock market looks to the future not the past. Yes the past was great (new record etc) but the future looks tough. So stocks go down as always. Plus and that is totally on the emotional side 'Sell on good news.'
    Economics looks tough the next few month at least. As long as China insists on Zero-Covid the manufacturing industry is challenged (and the last few weeks have been particularly bad). That - obviously no longer viable - zero Covid approach in China is likely to last through fall (as long as Xi Jinping hasn't 'won' his reelection on the 20th National Congress). So it's likely to get worse before it gets better. (Plus the additional risk of a russian war beyond the Ukrainian borders).
    If you need money in the next 12 months, it's likely bad timing to sell stocks. If all goes well it'll look much better next year.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,133member
    jdw said:
    neoncat said:

Not bad advice, even if it is coming from a post on the AI forums! If you love a company, there’s a decent chance that other people do too, or that they will come around. That will be good for the stock—because others will buy the stock of the company they love, because your love for the company means they have good products and/or services, and customers are loyal to companies they love. Fundamentals matter, but really what matters is how people feel about the value of the stock, and the fundamentals may affect that to varying degrees. For years, Tesla has been ridiculously overvalued based on any rational take on their fundamentals, but so far it’s held up pretty well, partly because people love the idea of the company, partly because people love the cars, and now they’re actually starting to even make money. Ford has had the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. every single year for over four decades, but Tesla is worth $902bn, Ford is worth less than $57bn. Amazon was barely profitable for the first 20+ years (I remember seeing that they made less in their first two decades than Apple did in a single quarter), but Amazon stock did very well. I know these phenomena can be explained in various more complex ways, but in the end, valuation is about how much people feel something is worth.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,315member
    neoncat said:
    rob53 said:
    The "agenda" is people who constantly want to ascribe a purpose to the stock market other than making money. Like that the market is there to celebrate your favorite brand. I use, appreciate, and prefer Apple products. However, I would short AAPL in a hot second if I felt like that move could make me money. Or any one of a number of other market related activities: Hold long, hold short, filter my mutual or ETF holdings based on how much (or how little) AAPL they hold, and so on. That's what stocks are for. They are for making money. Period. Never invest with your heart. 
    Invest with knowledge and your heart, most of the market know nothing about which which they trade….it never fails long Apple like taking candy from a baby…
  • Reply 10 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,315member
    jdw said:
    neoncat said:

AppleInsider and many of the other Mac sites telegraphed Apple moves to their own desktop CPU’s years ago, most of the financial and PC sites as usual were clueless, long but not as long as 1999. That info made it easy to stay long.