Apple issues second Studio Display 15.5 firmware beta

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple's fourth beta for macOS Monterey 12.4 also includes a second beta firmware for the Studio Display, Apple's premium display.

Issued on Tuesday, macOS Monterey 12.4's fourth beta had an extra element, providing an update to the Studio Display. The version 15.5 beta update is the second for the display, following the first Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5 from the third Monterey 12.4 beta.

It is unclear exactly what the firmware changes for the Studio Display, but it is likely to include another attempt at a fix for the 12-megapixel ultra-wide webcam. The display had initial quality issues for the webcam, but Apple tried to improve the image in the release by taking advantage of software updates.

In AppleInsider's testing of the first beta firmware, skin tones were improved, with less noise seen on the screen. Center Stage was also tweaked to be less aggressive when cropping the picture.

The beta update is available to developer testers through System Preferences on Macs running the latest macOS beta, with it listed as an Apple Studio Display Firmware Update.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Apple's fourth beta for macOS Monterey 12.4 also includes a second beta firmware for the Studio Display, Apple's premium display.
    *cough* XDR *cough*
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    If the Studio display is Apple's "Premium" display, then what does that make Apple's XDR display?  "Ultra" premium?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Premium+   ;)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    If Apple had made the height adjustable version of the Studio Display the standard configuration while keeping the same base price, which is still a significant chunk of change, I believe the level of customer delight and wow factor would have increased substantially. The Studio Display is a nice product, but you’re paying a premium price for it so it had better be good.

I’m surprised that Apple never tries to surprise us every once in a while with a baker’s dozen perk on a product purchase, you know, just so we walk away with a Christmas morning smile on our face. The value in customer loyalty (and lifetime customer value) would seemingly be greater than the incremental financial benefit they gain from the upgrade’s additional price. If they want to pinch pennies they could tie certain perks to bundle purchases, e.g., free upgrade to the height adjustable mount on the Studio Display if you buy a Mac Studio on the same ticket. 

No, the Apple stickers in the box aren’t the kind of perk I’m talking about. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dewme said:
    I’m surprised that Apple never tries to surprise us every once in a while with a baker’s dozen perk on a product purchase, you know, just so we walk away with a Christmas morning smile on our face. The value in customer loyalty (and lifetime customer value) would seemingly be greater than the incremental financial benefit they gain from the upgrade’s additional price. If they want to pinch pennies they could tie certain perks to bundle purchases, e.g., free upgrade to the height adjustable mount on the Studio Display if you buy a Mac Studio on the same ticket. 

Because they don't need to? Customer satisfaction is already extremely high. You're asking for a $400 discount — quite a lot! — on an arbitrary combination of products for no good reason. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    dewme said:

Because they don't need to? Customer satisfaction is already extremely high. You're asking for a $400 discount — quite a lot! — on an arbitrary combination of products for no good reason. 
    Of course they don’t need to. That’s the whole point.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dewme said:
    dewme said:

Of course they don’t need to. That’s the whole point.
    lol what