Sonos Ray soundbar leaks, new Decora switches, and more on HomeKit Insider

Posted:
in General Discussion
On the latest episode of HomeKit Insider, your hosts discuss the unreleased Sonos soundbar, Leviton's updated Decora switches, and some great ideas for NFC tags.

HomeKit Insider
HomeKit Insider

It appears Sonos is getting ready to launch a more affordable soundbar. Leaked details of the Sonos Ray show a $250 soundbar that sits below the Beam and Arc in the lineup. To coincide with this launch, Sonos also looks to be announcing its own virtual assistant similar to Apple's Siri.

This week we also saw Leviton launch a new line of Decora switches that don't require a neutral wire. These switches are ideal for older homes that lack the neutral wire wiring that is commonly found in newer homes.

Finally, we wrap up the episode by discussing some great ideas for NFC tags. With just a tap of your iPhone, you can trigger all sorts of automations.

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    Regarding the Leviton 3-way dimmer setup discussed in the podcast…

You're going to have to follow all the instructions to set up and program the switches for them to work. The secondary switch sends data through the wiring to the master switch in order to control your dimmer. It’s not unreasonable to be expected to follow the instructions fully as you set them up to get them to work. Seriously. Once you’ve done that, the switches will work manually, even if your WiFi goes down. 

Leviton 3-way is different than some of the others you’re comparing because you can use Leviton in scenarios with up to four secondary switch locations. Most other smart switches with three-way capability will only work with one master and one secondary switch. The additional capability with Leviton means the devices are more complex, and you should try following the instructions to set it up before you criticize. 

I recently ditched a bunch of Wemo switches that were constantly failing and disconnecting, and replaced them with Leviton Decora switches, which have been rock-solid reliable. Please don’t do your listeners a disservice by giving Leviton a bad review because they don’t work when you don’t follow the setup instructions. 
    aplalex
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aplalexaplalex Posts: 1member
    Well said AppleZulu! I came here to say the same thing. I used to have the zWave version and YES, the wiring can be tricky. It is not like regular multiple way wiring. Please don't bash products until you install them correctly! These switches probably do exactly what Stephen wants and because he didn't follow the directions, and then they didn't work properly, he and Andrew make them sound like they're a terrible product.
    AppleZulu
  • Reply 3 of 3
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    aplalex said:
    Well said AppleZulu! I came here to say the same thing. I used to have the zWave version and YES, the wiring can be tricky. It is not like regular multiple way wiring. Please don't bash products until you install them correctly! These switches probably do exactly what Stephen wants and because he didn't follow the directions, and then they didn't work properly, he and Andrew make them sound like they're a terrible product.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Maybe a way to kick the podcast up a few notches would be to do things like read up on how 3-way switch wiring works and then use that knowledge to bring a journeyman electrician on and interview him on the subject. Get him to explain how the wiring works, and then how the smart switches work with that. Why is it that you need a second or secondary smart switch on the other end of the stairwell?  That would be truly informative, and help people understand what they're buying.