Applications open for Apple's WWDC in-person developer Special Event

Posted:
in General Discussion
Developers can now apply for a free place at Apple Park to watch the WWDC 2022 keynote video, and explore a new Developer Center.

Randomly selected developers will attend an in-person special event during WWDC 2022
Randomly selected developers will attend an in-person special event during WWDC 2022

Apple previously announced its developer Special Event was coming, but now qualifying developers are able to apply to join. Or as Apple puts it, to submit a request.

"We're hosting a special all-day experience at Apple Park on June 6 to kick off WWDC22," says the new developer application page. "Gather with others in the developer community to watch the keynote and Platforms State of the Union videos alongside Apple engineers and experts, explore the all-new Developer Center, and so much more."

"We can't wait to connect in person," it continues. "This celebration marks the start of an inspiring week of sessions, labs, and lounges -- all online and with more activities than ever."

The event is free and open to any member of the Apple Developer Program, Apple Developer Enterprise Program, or 2022 Swift Student Challenge applicants. The developers will be chosen randomly.

Applications are open from now until 9am Pacific on May 11, 2022. All applicants will be informed of their success or not, by 6pm Pacific on May 12.

The WWDC 2022 keynote, State of the Union, and developer sessions will again be available to watch online for all users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Interesting.

I previously and incorrectly guessed that this event would be large and offsite (away from Apple Park).

Now it appears to be limited, onsite and includes the unveiling of a new Developers Center at Apple Park. I'm wondering if they repurposed an existing building or if they constructed something new.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    mpantone said:
    Interesting.

I previously and incorrectly guessed that this event would be large and offsite (away from Apple Park).

Now it appears to be limited, onsite and includes the unveiling of a new Developers Center at Apple Park. I'm wondering if they repurposed an existing building or if they constructed something new.
    If they used one of the older building across the freeway close to the shops it would help keep local shopping vital while the staff numbers are down for covid.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm not convinced that would help at this point in time.

Vallco mall has been mostly demolished; even before the pandemic it was a derelict coffin. Note that local shopping has mostly rebounded back to pre-pandemic levels at least according to the owners of Valley Fair Mall. In a few months the new Eataly complex should be opening up at Valley Fair.

The developer/property owner and the residents have been arguing for years about the best way to use the Vallco property and they still haven't come to an agreement.

Can Cupertino be successful with a destination shopping mall for a handful of visiting developers and other guests to Apple? Or should the mall operator focus on servicing the local community? Personally I don't think Vallco can compete with Valley Fair/Santana Row. Mall visitation numbers had been plummeting for years before the pandemic hit.

And even if there were stores at Vallco (there aren't anymore), is the volume of Developer Center visitors enough to make an impact? If most of the stores are the same ones you can find in your nearby hometown mall (Abercrombie & Fitch, Victoria's Secret, The Gap, whatever) wherever you live (Des Moines, Boise, Raleigh, Austin) how special is Cupertino's Vallco mall?

And there's the question of what impression does a developer complex across the freeway communicate? There are security and access considerations of course as we've seen with the Apple Park Apple Store which is across the street from the spaceship.

The R&D campus in the southeast corner of the Apple Park property has its own security perimeter and parking facilities, isolated from the spaceship. Now that Jony Ives is gone, it's possible that the R&D team have been mostly assimilated back into the spaceship campus (and also working from home) leaving those buildings available for use.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I wrote:

"And there's the question of what impression does a developer complex across the freeway communicate? There are security and access considerations of course as we've seen with the Apple Park Apple Store which is across the street from the spaceship."

Unsurprisingly the new Apple Developer Center is not within the Apple Park Campus security perimeter. It is actually across the street next to the Apple Park Apple Store, east side of Tantau Avenue. It is physically isolated from Apple Park and its facilities.

Apple did not repurpose existing construction like the R&D complex at Tantau 9.
    edited June 2022