Best system and solution to add 5.1 surround to a new Mac Studio?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I just purchased the new Mac Studio.   My previous desktop Mac Pro had 5.1 surround via toslink (optical to 3.5 mm).   I have a very old Logitech speaker system and want to upgrade.   Is that still doable on the new Mac Studio or is there a better path.    Thanks in advance.

Ramjets
laptopleon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The simplest way is a USB-C DAC like the below link. Maybe a USB-C to toslink, but I haven't tried the latter yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Creative-External-Multi-Channel-Discrete-Optical-out/dp/B0953LL5R6/
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hi, I'm in the exact same situation as @Ramjets: Coming from a Mac Pro - via toslink - to Logitech 5.1 surround set, I now want to connect my new Mac Studio, that has no such optical output.

1) Ramjets, would you please share what device you used to make it work?

2) Also, since there is much higher quality audio available these days, I'd like to be able to play that higher quality. However, the stereo 3.5 mm sound-out of the Studio is limited to 96 kHz 32-bit while a € 100 headphone dac can often do much better. However, those usually are stereo / 2 channel only. Is there a device that can do both, without breaking the bank?