iPhone 14 Pro displays will be slightly larger than iPhone 13 Pro, says analyst

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2022
The new "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" displays will be larger by hundredths of a millimeter according to a supply chain analyst.

The 'iPhone 14 Pro' models are expected to have slightly larger displays
The 'iPhone 14 Pro' models are expected to have slightly larger displays

Leaks have shown that the "iPhone 14 Pro" models will feature a pill and hole cutout with slimmer bezels around the display. These changes will provide slight increases to the overall display area available.

Display supply chain analyst Ross Young has shared the exact measurements for these new models. He attributes the increase in size to the bezels and the cutout, although the cutout shouldn't affect display size, just effective display area.

According to his tweet, the "iPhone 14 Pro" would have a 6.12-inch diagonal versus the iPhone 13 Pro 6.06-inch diagonal. The "iPhone 14 Pro Max" has an even smaller change to 6.69 inches from 6.68 inches.

iPhone 13 Pro - 6.06"
iPhone 14 Pro - 6.12"
iPhone 13 Pro Max - 6.68"
iPhone 14 Pro Max - 6.69"

Differences due to pill + hole replacing the notch and narrower bezels.

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

It is unlikely that this display diagonal increase will be perceptible to users. The "iPhone 14" lineup is expected to be announced during an Apple event in September.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    I think it’s time declare that we’ve reached peak Apple news. 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jeff fieldsjeff fields Posts: 159member
    Bad copy editing once again: it's hundredths of an INCH, not hundredths of a millimeter.

0.06 inches is actually somewhat noticeable; that's basically 1/16".
    gregoriusmentropys
  • Reply 3 of 11
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    TSMC is raising prices again. Will Apple raise prices on new iPhone 14? 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Why not keep the damn notch, skip the pill and pinhole and go straight to neither in (hopefully) 2023.
    entropys
  • Reply 5 of 11
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    bluefire1 said:
    Why not keep the damn notch, skip the pill and pinhole and go straight to neither in (hopefully) 2023.
    So just never evolve?  Weird advice.
    mike1
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    It would be nice if I got more than a year from my cases; we'll see I suppose. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    igorsky said:
    bluefire1 said:
    He said, skip the I hole punch pill cut out and hopefully in 2023 just go to the hole punch camera look. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I think the mini is missing from this story. That is sad.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    igorsky said:
    bluefire1 said:

Changing from a notch to a "pill and hole" configuration doesn't seem much like an "evolution" to me.  It's just a change.  And a silly one if done just for the sake of change alone.  If Apple were to do such, and I'm still somewhat skeptical that they'll bother, I'd expect there'd be an actual reason for it that somehow makes the phone better.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    bluefire1 said:
    Because either way people are going to bitch. This way, at least the pillhole approach gives the appearance of progress, however minimal it may be. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    igorsky said:
    bluefire1 said:

Changing from a notch to a "pill and hole" configuration doesn't seem much like an "evolution" to me.  It's just a change.  And a silly one if done just for the sake of change alone.  If Apple were to do such, and I'm still somewhat skeptical that they'll bother, I'd expect there'd be an actual reason for it that somehow makes the phone better.
    It is change for the sake of change. I can’t really see how it will make the iPhone any better. It will just temporarily appease those who vocally complain about the notch, and it will look just different enough to give those people who care about such things a reason to brag about having the newest model.