Apple may release a cheaper Apple TV streaming device in 2022, says Kuo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    designrdesignr Posts: 700member
    dewme said:
    mattinoz said:
    dewme said:
    The thing that keeps me liking the Apple TV is the fact that I can access most of my Apple ecosystem content like my Photos, Apple Music, movies directly and from locally connected Macs. AirPlay is a big deal for me too. Being able to use the Apple TV as a substitute for my cable company's set top box is a bonus as well. I can use an Apple TV plugged into any HDMI monitor that has audio (or use in conjunction with a HomePod) to get a full TV experience anywhere on my property that has network coverage, no cable required. I even have one Apple TV connected to a monitor and my old analog HiFi system through an inexpensive DAC.

Last but not least, having a wired Ethernet connection on the Apple TV is actually a big deal for me. Given a choice I always prefer wired for devices that don't get moved around.

Sure, some or most of these capabilities are available via other devices that cost far less than an Apple TV. But the Apple TV has proven to be a very reliable and minimal-fuss workhorse. The only problems I've ever had with Apple TV are due to the devices becoming obsolete or losing support for an app that mattered to me, like YouTube. Apple's move to two-factor authentication for Apple ID based authentication made using the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Apple TVs a royal pain in the ass to use. There were some workarounds like appending the 2FA code to the end of your password, but it was ridiculously easy to get into an ambiguous timing and sequence state with the handshake and more often than not you ended up with your Apple ID locked. It's too bad because the Gen 3 Apple TV was otherwise quite usable.

Any talk of cost reducing the Apple TV would have to include a list of features you're willing to give up. I'd prefer that rather than cutting features to drive the cost down, Apple throw in a couple more features to justify its current price. I'd really like to see Safari on the Apple TV. I'd also like to see Apple include a remote desktop client app on the Apple TV that would allow me to remote into my Macs, locally and remotely. I suspect Apple will never allow the remote access feature, but it would clearly differentiate the Apple TV from the budget competitors while further enhancing the value of the Apple ecosystem. Yes, you would need to use a Bluetooth keyboard & trackpad or the Apple Remote app on an iOS or iPadOS device. No big deal.
    What if the smaller AppleTV was a power brick like the old AirPortExpress. With enough room for HDMI/Ethernet and a couple USBc to power an HomePodMini or two.  Could be then used in a secondary room and power charging cables for devices.

Or they just updated HomePodMini 2 that has 2 USBc ports instead of fixed cord so one can be used for HDMI output. 
    An Apple TV + HomePod Max fusion in a sound bar form factor would be a very compelling product in my opinion. This would allow audio and video streaming, casting, and with an optional camera attached, full room FaceTime. I suppose they could integrate the camera into the sound bar unit, but I’m not sure the placement would be ideal. Since we’re dreaming, why not optional wireless sub and satellites too - hence the “Max” designation. 
    That could be a killer product.
  • Reply 42 of 42
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,851member
    dewme said:
    mattinoz said:
    dewme said:
    The thing that keeps me liking the Apple TV is the fact that I can access most of my Apple ecosystem content like my Photos, Apple Music, movies directly and from locally connected Macs. AirPlay is a big deal for me too. Being able to use the Apple TV as a substitute for my cable company's set top box is a bonus as well. I can use an Apple TV plugged into any HDMI monitor that has audio (or use in conjunction with a HomePod) to get a full TV experience anywhere on my property that has network coverage, no cable required. I even have one Apple TV connected to a monitor and my old analog HiFi system through an inexpensive DAC.

Last but not least, having a wired Ethernet connection on the Apple TV is actually a big deal for me. Given a choice I always prefer wired for devices that don't get moved around.

Sure, some or most of these capabilities are available via other devices that cost far less than an Apple TV. But the Apple TV has proven to be a very reliable and minimal-fuss workhorse. The only problems I've ever had with Apple TV are due to the devices becoming obsolete or losing support for an app that mattered to me, like YouTube. Apple's move to two-factor authentication for Apple ID based authentication made using the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Apple TVs a royal pain in the ass to use. There were some workarounds like appending the 2FA code to the end of your password, but it was ridiculously easy to get into an ambiguous timing and sequence state with the handshake and more often than not you ended up with your Apple ID locked. It's too bad because the Gen 3 Apple TV was otherwise quite usable.

Any talk of cost reducing the Apple TV would have to include a list of features you're willing to give up. I'd prefer that rather than cutting features to drive the cost down, Apple throw in a couple more features to justify its current price. I'd really like to see Safari on the Apple TV. I'd also like to see Apple include a remote desktop client app on the Apple TV that would allow me to remote into my Macs, locally and remotely. I suspect Apple will never allow the remote access feature, but it would clearly differentiate the Apple TV from the budget competitors while further enhancing the value of the Apple ecosystem. Yes, you would need to use a Bluetooth keyboard & trackpad or the Apple Remote app on an iOS or iPadOS device. No big deal.
    What if the smaller AppleTV was a power brick like the old AirPortExpress. With enough room for HDMI/Ethernet and a couple USBc to power an HomePodMini or two.  Could be then used in a secondary room and power charging cables for devices.

Or they just updated HomePodMini 2 that has 2 USBc ports instead of fixed cord so one can be used for HDMI output. 
    An Apple TV + HomePod Max fusion in a sound bar form factor would be a very compelling product in my opinion. This would allow audio and video streaming, casting, and with an optional camera attached, full room FaceTime. I suppose they could integrate the camera into the sound bar unit, but I’m not sure the placement would be ideal. Since we’re dreaming, why not optional wireless sub and satellites too - hence the “Max” designation. 
    Is it really a dream? I mean if we accept rumours don't just come out of nowhere then...
    https://www.slashgear.com/apple-tv-with-facetime-camera-and-siri-speaker-reportedly-in-the-works-12667934

Changing AppleTV to a soundbar with webcam and wide-angle cam based on the StudioDisplay work for the main AppleTV could be a winner. Then the smaller size could still be a non-speaker model designed more like just a webcam that can sit over or under a monitor and be used for FaceTime or other meeting services that would sell well for home and small office uses. 

Apple already have the satellites that work to expand the system. Take a modular approach.