Apple testing USB-C iPhones & new dongles ahead of EU mandate

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,021member
    Skeptical said:
    macminion said:
    Why? Why? Eliminate the hole. Magsafe it all the way! Forget what the EU governments want.
    Dumbest post ever…
    Is it, or do you just disagree? There is a strong argument for eliminating the port entirely.  I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t, but it’s not crazy.  
    Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sdw2001 said:
    Skeptical said:
    macminion said:
    Why? Why? Eliminate the hole. Magsafe it all the way! Forget what the EU governments want.
    Dumbest post ever…
    Is it, or do you just disagree? There is a strong argument for eliminating the port entirely.  I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t, but it’s not crazy.  
    There's an argument, but it's not a strong one.  Removing the port completely would break a lot of things and make the product worse.  Unless you count saying "courage" on stage as strength, I guess.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Finally found a USB-C to Lightning adapter on Amazon. The trick is most don't work at all with a USB-C to USB-C cable. Those that do work only to transfer data from a PC to an iOS device – power only from a Mac. The ones I found are Apple MFI certified and DO transfer data (and power) from my MacBookAir M1 through a USB-C to USB-C cable to my iOS devices. Choose carefully.
    edited May 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 473member

Before I start on my tirade, let it be known that I think the iPhone really does need a USB-C connector for USB 3 if not Thunderbolt.

However ...

[rant]
    I find it incredibly amazing that the EC thinks they can dictate a power connector on a device neither designed or manufactured in its territory - it's just a way of attacking tech companies which are in remarkably short supply in the EU - possibly due to EC meddling.

How in God's name can they think to regulate the power connectors on phones when they can't even regulate the power connectors and voltages used in the homes of its member states?

Of course if they did that, it would raise an outcry from the people indigenous to the EU - and you can't have that.
    [/rant]
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33

I find it incredibly amazing that the EC thinks they can dictate a power connector on a device neither designed or manufactured in its territory - it's just a way of attacking tech companies which are in remarkably short supply in the EU - possibly due to EC meddling.
    What does it matter where it was designed or manufactured?  The EC are saying that for it to be sold in the EU then it needs to conform to regulations.  Just like with many other regulations on many other products.  That's how regulations work.  Apple can sell iPhones with Lightning ports in any other territory outside the EU that they wish.  How does this even constitute an "attack" on anyone?  It's just a standardisation, and one that many/most of those tech companies are already conforming to.

How in God's name can they think to regulate the power connectors on phones when they can't even regulate the power connectors and voltages used in the homes of its member states?
    Power outlets and voltages are embedded and would require massive infrastructure change investment to achieve very little.  Changing power connectors will only apply to future product sales, is a relatively minor change, and is mostly implemented anyway because the EC have been very public about this intention, having introduced the prospect of USB standardisation many years ago.  I doubt God is bothered.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 26 of 33
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,245member
    Crowley, yes it would take massive investment to do that.

just like it would take a massive investment for Apple to redesign the innards of their iPhones to accomodate the dictates of a foreign country.

I am half sure apple has a business plan to eventually move to USBc (more likely will jump to portless),  but it would be doing so in its own timeline and not because some cheese eating central planners in Brussels think the need for yet another pile of pointless busy work to justify their existence.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    entropys said:
    Crowley, yes it would take massive investment to do that.

just like it would take a massive investment for Apple to redesign the innards of their iPhones to accomodate the dictates of a foreign country.

I am half sure apple has a business plan to eventually move to USBc (more likely will jump to portless),  but it would be doing so in its own timeline and not because some cheese eating central planners in Brussels think the need for yet another pile of pointless busy work to justify their existence.
    Massive investment to incorporate USB-C into a future iPhone?  Nah.  It would be an engineering rounding error.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    "Cheese eating"?  Seriously?
  • Reply 29 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,941member

Before I start on my tirade, let it be known that I think the iPhone really does need a USB-C connector for USB 3 if not Thunderbolt.

However ...

[rant]

Of course if they did that, it would raise an outcry from the people indigenous to the EU - and you can't have that.
    [/rant]
    You should read the different EU impact assessments on the subject. Depending on the combinations of options, the economic impact on the industry will be neglible even if all the worst combinations are applied. 

It doesn't matter where a device is designed or built. If it is to be sold in the EU, it has to comply with requirements. No one is forcing Apple to sell its products here.

Take a look at the small print on your electronic equipment. Can you see the letters RoHS on there? You can thank the EU for that (a much needed directive) along with WEEE (another much needed directive). These directives often have a knock on effect in industry worldwide. You can be sure that will be the case with the charging proposals (which aren't limited to phones). 

Did you know that the cost of recycling and safe disposal of electrical and electronic equipment is already included in the price of your device when sold in the EU and where you purchase your new device, they are required to take back your old one? No electronic device should ever go to landfill. It is actually illegal to do that where I am. My local council even has a legal obligation to provide containers in the street for used domestic oil. Industrial oil is collected by other means. The local advertising panels at street level actually contain mini green point collection slots for batteries, CDs, bulbs, chargers etc. Organic residue is also collected for composting etc. 

Impact assessments are carried out for all major moves by the EU. They include public, private, industry, scientific... consultation and exceptions are often agreed. That is why you coul buy a 'pint' of beer in the UK before Brexit.

Most of the electrical situation in the EU has managed to iron out creases. Yes, there are some differences between some countries but not a big deal by any means. Again, impact assessment! Do you really think changing the EU's electrical outlets would have a neglible economic impact?

There is a lot still to do to harmonise many areas but it can't be done overnight. How long do you think it would take to standardise the width of rail lines?

In general, the common EU policies are great for consumers and industry and of course the environment and future generations. 

Just take a look at the 'dirty dozen' food list to see one example. Most of the problem areas on that list are not applicable in the EU because the chemicals and practices involved are banned here (and some of them are scary to the point that you wonder how any government could allow them). 

edited May 2022
  • Reply 30 of 33
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,292member
    hexclock said:
    JP234 said:
    macminion said:
    Uh, because Apple wants to sell iPhones to Europeans, maybe??? Ah, who needs a few hundred billion Euros in sales, anyway, right?
    Can’t they just make a MagSafe cable with a usb-c connector on the other end, so it fits a USB-C power block? What is so hard about that? If the new law prevents that, then it is pretty short sighted. 

"Short sighted" is the very definition of most government regulation concerning tech.  And not just in Europe, though they seem to have taken the concept to new heights lately.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 33
    beowulfschmidtbeowulfschmidt Posts: 2,292member
    hexclock said:
    JP234 said:
    macminion said:
    Uh, because Apple wants to sell iPhones to Europeans, maybe??? Ah, who needs a few hundred billion Euros in sales, anyway, right?
    Can’t they just make a MagSafe cable with a usb-c connector on the other end, so it fits a USB-C power block? What is so hard about that? If the new law prevents that, then it is pretty short sighted. 

Induction charging, e.g. Magsafe, is considerably less efficient that a hard wire connection.  Of course, Apple is only really concerned with its own appearance of "green", and not yours.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,297member
    hexclock said:
    JP234 said:
    macminion said:

Induction charging, e.g. Magsafe, is considerably less efficient that a hard wire connection.  Of course, Apple is only really concerned with its own appearance of "green", and not yours.
    Good point. I would expect wireless charging to keep improving, but who knows if it will ever achieve parity to a wired source. 
    As an aside, there is very interesting and intense research into 2D (and now 2.5D) meta materials that have all sorts of fantastic electrical properties. Magic angle graphene for example. And there are many others as well. I wish Feynman could see these things; I’d love his explanations for a layman like me. 

edited May 2022 watto_cobra