Netflix could follow Apple TV+ in producing live streaming video

Posted:
in General Discussion
Netflix's next move could be into streaming live programming, a feature that Apple TV+ has offered its users for just over a month.

As the behemoth of streaming, Netflix is on the lookout for the next potential hit feature to encourage higher subscriptions. After years of shaking up the broadcast industry with on-demand streams, it seems that the streamer may actually go down the live content route.

According to Deadline, Netflix is looking into whether to offer live streaming to its users. Netflix has previously confirmed it was in the early stages of creating a live streaming solution, but had yet to announce a formal introduction of live content.

It is proposed that the live capability could be used in competition series like the upcoming dance contest "Dance 100," or potentially as part of a revival of the Netflix Is A Joke festival with live sets. Live reunion shows for reality TV has also been proposed.

The live streaming wouldn't strictly be one-way, as it is thought that live voting could be included in the feature. For competition shows, the home audience could potentially vote on a winner, or to vote to eliminate contestants, all live.

If Netflix goes ahead with live show streams, it would bring Netflix in line with more traditional broadcasters with time-based schedules. It will also be more aligned with other streaming services that already provide live streams of broadcast networks, such as YouTube TV and Hulu.

Unusually, Apple has already beaten Netflix into the live streaming space. With the start of MLB "Friday Night Baseball" in April, Apple TV+ has provided regular live-streamed content to its users around the world.

So far, it seems that Netflix may not use such a feature for sports broadcasting at this time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple TV has been a disappointment as far as innovation goes. I thought it would be crazy innovative. I thought Apple would somehow connect the service with iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Watch/Mac. Instead we get something similar to Netflix where you just press play. Something that any service could do from YouTube to iTunes movies.

When they first announced The Morning Show I thought it was an actual live show with news and interviews like Good Morning America, which I think would have caught way more attention. Now throw in user interaction. How about local whether with user photos and videos selected? How about a fitness segment where users can participate in to track their progress against other users across the world?

I think live content is the next “thing”. Not sports but raw uncut, unfiltered niche shows. You guys should check out Fresh & Fit on YouTube. It’s one of the fastest growing “Podcasts” ever and the highest grossing almost every month through user donations. It’s also an absolute riot to watch live with crazy guests and unfiltered content. Had this show been an Apple TV exclusive, it would have broke records for Apple. Unfortunately it is the polar opposite to “politically correct” which I know is on the way out and will stunt Apple TV+. Growth.

I think more real content like following an average joe’s weight loss journey with user interaction via Watch, FaceTime and Fitness+ would be innovative. Or how about a nerd’s struggle with dating showcased live? Throw in more user interaction. This is what the people want NOW. People are sick of cheesy linear stories that would never happen and I wouldn’t count sports as an “innovation” of live events. How about concert tickets on Apple Music or a live 24 hour news station on Apple News where both the left and right share the same station with user polls that you can participate in live or participate in FaceTime video questions and debate?

Apple has it all in the palm of their hands but they’re innovating super slowly.
    edited May 2022 lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I watched a minute of Fresh & Fit, the video that they chose to showcase the channel on their profile.  Absolutely hideous.  A horrible man saying horrible things while women stare at him in horror.  And less than a million views.  Apple has no need of low volume trash TV.
    JaiOh81TRAGlolliverfairlop
  • Reply 3 of 19
    crowley said:
    I watched a minute of Fresh & Fit, the video that they chose to showcase the channel on their profile.  Absolutely hideous.  A horrible man saying horrible things while women stare at him in horror.  And less than a million views.  Apple has no need of low volume trash TV.

I mentioned this.
     Unfortunately it is the polar opposite to “politically correct” which I know is on the way out and will stunt Apple TV+. Growth.”

We’re sick of PC garbage. Fresh and Fit is the fastest growing podcast for a reason. Though “podcast” isn’t the word I would call it. With ZERO funding from media and tech. They also have shows on how to make money which the PC people ignore.

Look at Netflix, Dave Chapelle brought in a ton of viewers with his real unfiltered, unscripted comedy. even the article states that Netflix is considering a live version of the Netflix is a Joke show! When Netflix brought feel-good, fake, scripted PC-BULLSH**, millions of users unsubscribed in protest. (Look it up).

You have Oprah who’s possibly the most famous woman in the world with her PC feel-good delusion on Apple TV, funded by the richest company in the world and Fresh & Fit, two nobodies, who’s tarted the show from
    nothing now taking over YouTube. Apple TV doesn’t need them but how many people have watched that Apple-backed Oprah crap on Apple TV? No one. And she was the lead rep at the Apple TV launch! This isn’t 1993 anymore. 

You’re comparing the world’s most powerful people with literally BILLIONS of dollars to 2 men who started a show in their apartment (like a garage…). And the guys in the garage are winning viewers!!

I’m not saying Apple has to drop fairy tale stories but actual reality is what people are slowly gravitating to. Almost every app is adding a live section from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram to Tik Tok. Originally these apps didn’t care about live.

You can go watch Oprah with the 10 other people and I’ll watch real live content with user interaction. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 4 of 19
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Beats said:
    Apple TV has been a disappointment as far as innovation goes. I thought it would be crazy innovative. I thought Apple would somehow connect the service with iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/Watch/Mac. Instead we get something similar to Netflix where you just press play. Something that any service could do from YouTube to iTunes movies.

When they first announced The Morning Show I thought it was an actual live show with news and interviews like Good Morning America, which I think would have caught way more attention. Now throw in user interaction. How about local whether with user photos and videos selected? How about a fitness segment where users can participate in to track their progress against other users across the world?

I think live content is the next “thing”. Not sports but raw uncut, unfiltered niche shows. You guys should check out Fresh & Fit on YouTube. It’s one of the fastest growing “Podcasts” ever and the highest grossing almost every month through user donations. It’s also an absolute riot to watch live with crazy guests and unfiltered content. Had this show been an Apple TV exclusive, it would have broke records for Apple. Unfortunately it is the polar opposite to “politically correct” which I know is on the way out and will stunt Apple TV+. Growth.

I think more real content like following an average joe’s weight loss journey with user interaction via Watch, FaceTime and Fitness+ would be innovative. Or how about a nerd’s struggle with dating showcased live? Throw in more user interaction. This is what the people want NOW. People are sick of cheesy linear stories that would never happen and I wouldn’t count sports as an “innovation” of live events. How about concert tickets on Apple Music or a live 24 hour news station on Apple News where both the left and right share the same station with user polls that you can participate in live or participate in FaceTime video questions and debate?

Apple has it all in the palm of their hands but they’re innovating super slowly.
    If you're going to be sarcastic add "/s" at the end of the message so everyone knows.
    JaiOh81lollivermknelson
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

We’re sick of PC garbage. Fresh and Fit is the fastest growing podcast for a reason. Though “podcast” isn’t the word I would call it. They also have shows on how to make money which the PC people ignore.

I’m not saying Apple has to drop fairy tale stories but actual reality is what people are slowly gravitating to. Almost every app is adding a live section from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram to Tik Tok. 
    Says you, but less than 1 million views on their showcased video isn't even small beans, it's tiny beans.  Apple don't care about your barrel-scraping small volume ideas.
    JaiOh81lollivermknelsonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 19
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

We’re sick of PC garbage. Fresh and Fit is the fastest growing podcast for a reason. Though “podcast” isn’t the word I would call it. They also have shows on how to make money which the PC people ignore.

I’m not saying Apple has to drop fairy tale stories but actual reality is what people are slowly gravitating to. Almost every app is adding a live section from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram to Tik Tok. 
    Says you, but less than 1 million views on their showcased video isn't even small beans, it's tiny beans.  Apple don't care about your barrel-scraping small volume ideas.

I edited the comment to add the fact that Apple’s Oprah crap with billions in backing is losing to two guys in a garage.

Youre living in the past man.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    flydog said:
    Beats said:

If you're going to be sarcastic add "/s" at the end of the message so everyone knows.

Right.

because Apple is beating Twitch, YouTube and Tik Tok.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

I edited the comment to add the fact that Apple’s Oprah crap with billions in backing is losing to two guys in a garage.

How are you measuring that loss?  Do Apple even release viewing figures for individual shows?

I may be living in the past (I'm not), but I reckon you're making shit up.  Wouldn't be the first time.
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 19
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

How are you measuring that loss?  Do Apple even release viewing figures for individual shows?

I may be living in the past (I'm not), but I reckon you're making shit up.  Wouldn't be the first time.

Everyone on AI even criticized the Oprah move. Apple themselves stopped caring after Ted Lasso became the runaway hit.

Now imagine if Fresh and Fit were backed by Apple. The controversy alone could have made it their #1 show. Controversy WORKS. Look at Squid Games and Dave Chapelle. Then look at Oprah! I use them as an example because they’re kicking a** right now! They’re nobodies in an apartment doing early Joe Rogan numbers, Who BTW is also non-PC.

It doesn’t even have to be a non-PC show. How about the H3 podcast? He has more subscribers than Fresh & Fit though he’s been on YouTube for over 10 years Vs 1 year. He’s a fat loser who worships women. Could be right up your alley. He hosts live shows, though with less user interaction. He has almost 3 million subscribers. You can call him “low volume” but Apple TV+ is estimated to have around 35 million subscribers. Doing some math, his show alone could have more views than See or Dickinson. Does his show suck? I think so. But he’s funding out of pocket and still takes mindshare from the richest company in the world. Add in live user interaction.

Viewership and mindshare matters. Why? Because a human can only focus on one show at a time. Now imagine if he were backed by Apple? Wouldn’t compete with Fresh and Fit but the point is only made stronger. Ninja from Twitch probably has more views than Ted Lasso. Using common sense and some math we can estimate this. A fat loser is taking away viewership from Apple!!

”low volume” 300k-1 million views per episode isn’t looking so bad anymore is it?

Add to the fact Fresh and Fit had a 6 hour long (SIX HOURS!!) show yesterday with massive user interaction and the mindshare doesn’t seem so bad now does it? Now imagine how many of those viewers have Apple TV+? You can assume a good share because they advertise for Apple a lot. That’s SIX HOURS that was taken from Apple TV+.

Live content is the future. And not like The View (they even talk about Fresh and Fit!) but new uncensored shows. When I say “uncensored” I don’t necessarily mean vulgar, just content that stops lying to viewers. Content that isn’t heavily edited, content that challenges the viewer that allows the viewer to step in and interrupt.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Beats said:

You have some interesting ideas, but Apple TV is far from a disappointment. It’s really built out quite well. It has succeeded beyond what I thought it would to be honest.  At some point, there is going to be major consolidation in the streaming market, and Apple has the cash to be the consolidator.  Apple could buy Netflix three times over—just with cash on hand.  Apple is playing a long game here.  That game isn’t just about streaming but about converting their business more and more to services rather than hardware (not that they won’t focus on hardware).  Apple was a a four better position than it was even a decade ago. The iMac and iPod transformed Apple into a behemoth. The iPhone and iPad took over.  The problem was that is where Apple was making the majority of its money. Tim Cook and the directors saw this and have been pushing services for a decade.  It was frankly brilliant. 
    gregoriusmBeatslolliver
  • Reply 11 of 19
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 323member
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

I actually liked the Oprah shows.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 323member
    Beats said:

I never heard of Fresh&Fit but I just now tried to watch it. I never really got to the controversial stuff because it was just too extremely boring. I scrubbed ahead a few times and it’s just two dudes talking about mundane things in front of a microphone. I don’t get it.
    gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 13 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

I mentioned this.
    ” Unfortunately it is the polar opposite to “politically correct” which I know is on the way out and will stunt Apple TV+. Growth.”

We’re sick of PC garbage. Fresh and Fit is the fastest growing podcast for a reason. Though “podcast” isn’t the word I would call it. With ZERO funding from media and tech. They also have shows on how to make money which the PC people ignore.

Look at Netflix, Dave Chapelle brought in a ton of viewers with his real unfiltered, unscripted comedy. even the article states that Netflix is considering a live version of the Netflix is a Joke show! When Netflix brought feel-good, fake, scripted PC-BULLSH**, millions of users unsubscribed in protest. (Look it up).

You have Oprah who’s possibly the most famous woman in the world with her PC feel-good delusion on Apple TV, funded by the richest company in the world and Fresh & Fit, two nobodies, who’s tarted the show from
    nothing now taking over YouTube. Apple TV doesn’t need them but how many people have watched that Apple-backed Oprah crap on Apple TV? No one. And she was the lead rep at the Apple TV launch! This isn’t 1993 anymore. 

You’re comparing the world’s most powerful people with literally BILLIONS of dollars to 2 men who started a show in their apartment (like a garage…). And the guys in the garage are winning viewers!!

I’m not saying Apple has to drop fairy tale stories but actual reality is what people are slowly gravitating to. Almost every app is adding a live section from YouTube, Facebook, Instagram to Tik Tok. Originally these apps didn’t care about live.

You can go watch Oprah with the 10 other people and I’ll watch real live content with user interaction. 
    You sound fucking unhinged. LOL
    williamlondonlollivertht
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

Everyone on AI even criticized the Oprah move. Apple themselves stopped caring after Ted Lasso became the runaway hit.

Now imagine if Fresh and Fit were backed by Apple. The controversy alone could have made it their #1 show. Controversy WORKS. Look at Squid Games and Dave Chapelle. Then look at Oprah! I use them as an example because they’re kicking a** right now! They’re nobodies in an apartment doing early Joe Rogan numbers, Who BTW is also non-PC.

It doesn’t even have to be a non-PC show. How about the H3 podcast? He has more subscribers than Fresh & Fit though he’s been on YouTube for over 10 years Vs 1 year. He’s a fat loser who worships women. Could be right up your alley. He hosts live shows, though with less user interaction. He has almost 3 million subscribers. You can call him “low volume” but Apple TV+ is estimated to have around 35 million subscribers. Doing some math, his show alone could have more views than See or Dickinson. Does his show suck? I think so. But he’s funding out of pocket and still takes mindshare from the richest company in the world. Add in live user interaction.

Viewership and mindshare matters. Why? Because a human can only focus on one show at a time. Now imagine if he were backed by Apple? Wouldn’t compete with Fresh and Fit but the point is only made stronger. Ninja from Twitch probably has more views than Ted Lasso. Using common sense and some math we can estimate this. A fat loser is taking away viewership from Apple!!

”low volume” 300k-1 million views per episode isn’t looking so bad anymore is it?

Add to the fact Fresh and Fit had a 6 hour long (SIX HOURS!!) show yesterday with massive user interaction and the mindshare doesn’t seem so bad now does it? Now imagine how many of those viewers have Apple TV+? You can assume a good share because they advertise for Apple a lot. That’s SIX HOURS that was taken from Apple TV+.

Live content is the future. And not like The View (they even talk about Fresh and Fit!) but new uncensored shows. When I say “uncensored” I don’t necessarily mean vulgar, just content that stops lying to viewers. Content that isn’t heavily edited, content that challenges the viewer that allows the viewer to step in and interrupt.
    Where are you getting the figures on viewership of Ted Lasso?  Ninja gets around 500k viewers per stream, I'd be very surprised if Ted Lasso did less than that given that Apple TV has an estimated 40m subscribers.

Most of Fresh and Fit's content seems to get less than 100k views, many under 50k.  They've only topped 300k once in the last month from what I can see.

If that's "popular" to you then fair enough, but whichever way you dress it up the show is a modern take on trash TV.  Those episode titles give the whole game away.  Apple don't want any of that.

Trash TV has always had an audience, but I doubt it has a whole lot of overlap with Apple's customer base, or with the kind of customers that Apple want to target.
    edited May 2022 lolliverthtmknelsonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 19
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    If anyone is a baseball fan and haven’t seen the Apple Plus live games yet on Friday nights, man it’s so different, the picture quality with my apple Box and 4 k Tv was amazing
    lolliver
  • Reply 16 of 19
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

Where are you getting the figures on viewership of Ted Lasso?  Ninja gets around 500k viewers per stream, I'd be very surprised if Ted Lasso did less than that given that Apple TV has an estimated 40m subscribers.

Most of Fresh and Fit's content seems to get less than 100k views, many under 50k.  They've only topped 300k once in the last month from what I can see.

If that's "popular" to you then fair enough, but whichever way you dress it up the show is a modern take on trash TV.  Those episode titles give the whole game away.  Apple don't want any of that.

Trash TV has always had an audience, but I doubt it has a whole lot of overlap with Apple's customer base, or with the kind of customers that Apple want to target.

Apple TV+ is  estimated at 35 million and 38 by the end of the year.

Those Fresh and Fit numbers are crazy for 2 nobodies in an apartment and one of the fastest growing podcasts ever PLUS the #1 and sometimes #2 grossing live show on YouTube! And the show is ONE YEARS OLD!!

“Trash TV” or not, had Apple backed it(theoretically, calm down), I can confidently say it would have blown Ted Lasso out of the water. The controversy alone would have shot Apple TV up to Hulu’s level. PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF PC CRAP. That’s the point. Add in live viewership and viewer participation and this is the future. These guys are nobodies and they’ve had Robert Kayosaki on the show then they allow viewers on (YOU). This is the future.

Now if you hate them fine, but the show was the perfect example of how times are changing. I couldn’t think of a better example since no one is rising as fast as them currently.

Give the live show a shot. You’ll either love it or hate it and that’s good. The money shows aren’t as crazy, obviously.

Enough about them, my point again was that shows with live viewer participation and little censoring are gaining attention. Heck, Spotify paid Joe Rogan how much? 400 million?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    crowley said:

Those Fresh and Fit numbers are crazy for 2 nobodies in an apartment and one of the fastest growing podcasts ever PLUS the #1 and sometimes #2 grossing live show on YouTube! And the show is ONE YEARS OLD!!

“Trash TV” or not, had Apple backed it(theoretically, calm down), I can confidently say it would have blown Ted Lasso out of the water. The controversy alone would have shot Apple TV up to Hulu’s level. PEOPLE ARE TIRED OF PC CRAP. That’s the point. Add in live viewership and viewer participation and this is the future. These guys are nobodies and they’ve had Robert Kayosaki on the show then they allow viewers on (YOU). This is the future.

Now if you hate them fine, but the show was the perfect example of how times are changing. I couldn’t think of a better example since no one is rising as fast as them currently.

Give the live show a shot. You’ll either love it or hate it and that’s good. The money shows aren’t as crazy, obviously.

Enough about them, my point again was that shows with live viewer participation and little censoring are gaining attention. Heck, Spotify paid Joe Rogan how much? 400 million?
    And Joe Rogan is working out so well for Spotify.  Racing to the bottom is not Apple's way and never has been, thankfully.
    fairlop
  • Reply 18 of 19
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Netflix. Meh. Until they add 4K and better sound to their lower tiers, we won't even consider returning. We don't need four screens.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    fairlopfairlop Posts: 5member

Beats said:

It seems obvious Apple TV+ is not meant to compete directly with Netflix and Hulu models etc, they clearly introduced Apple TV+ as a supplemental for the apple eco system. 
    Apple will continue to prefer to focus on adding wider accessible quality shows/films vs random quantity at this stage for their global viewers. They know their subscriber base are likely be far more satisfied to watch another great show like Prehistoric Planet (airing next week) than random content from niche You Tube creators.