Apple unveils full trailer for season 3 of 'For All Mankind'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2022
A full-length trailer for the new third season of "For All Mankind" on Apple TV+ shows the race to Mars, and the dangers to be found there, as the acclaimed drama returns on June 10, 2022.

Following an earlier teaser showing characters standing on the surface of Mars, Apple has now debuted a 2-minute trailer.

Created by Ronald D. Moore, and showrunners Ben Nedivi and Matt Wolpert, "For All Mankind" was an early commission for Apple TV+, and has proved to be a critical success.

Beginning with the conceit that Russia beat America to be the first to land on the moon, the drama has successfully extrapolated a very different, yet very believable alternative reality for the US.

As previously announced, the third season premieres with its opening episode on Friday, June 10, 2022. The remaining nine episodes of the season will be streamed weekly from the following Friday. New subscribers can try Apple TV+ for free for three months.

Read on AppleInsider
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    This has been one of my favorite shows since its beginning — and given that there are several other Apple TV+ shows that I also enjoy ("Severance," "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "Ted Lasso" all come to mind), "For All Mankind"'s quality helps me feel like the annual price of Apple TV+ is a high-value bargain.

Back when season one first came out, my feeling at the time was that space exploration is so expensive that humanity's actual return to the moon and eventual exploration of Mars would most likely be accomplished by international cooperation. But given the real-world news events of the last several months, I now wonder if a version of the fictionalized conflict in space portrayed on "For All Mankind" is what's in store for us in the real world in the decades to come. If "Star Trek" (the original series) was moral commentary on then-current events, "For All Mankind" is perhaps serving in a similar role — both for current and possibly future events.

I'm not trying to get political here. It's just darn good television.
    edited May 2022 tmayappleinsiderusernarwhalStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I admit, it's a long shot that this series will be made "compatible" with the Foundation+IRobot universe that Apple also owns, but it's still completely possible. 

Apple is probably allowed to "retcon" the timeline a little (they are doing it already in their Foundation TV show) so it's not out of the question that For All Mankind could still morph into the beginning of the Foundation Universe. The main issue so far is that we haven't seen any robots yet. I don't remember any robots showing up in Season 1 or 2, which is odd because some robots existed in real life in 1980s. In fact Sony has been making robots for decades now, and you even see a mention of Sony in this trailer.

I'd love to see a reference to Steve Jobs this season. They could show him introducing the iMac, for example.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I admit, it's a long shot that this series will be made "compatible" with the Foundation+IRobot universe that Apple also owns, but it's still completely possible. 

Apple is probably allowed to "retcon" the timeline a little (they are doing it already in their Foundation TV show) so it's not out of the question that For All Mankind could still morph into the beginning of the Foundation Universe. The main issue so far is that we haven't seen any robots yet. I don't remember any robots showing up in Season 1 or 2, which is odd because some robots existed in real life in 1980s. In fact Sony has been making robots for decades now, and you even see a mention of Sony in this trailer.

I'd love to see a reference to Steve Jobs this season. They could show him introducing the iMac, for example.
    I’m no TV licensing expert, but I’m not sure that’s how it works. Apple may have purchased the TV rights a franchise like Foundation, but I believe that’s a separate license than iRobot or whoever owns the production of FAM (many times a network only bids for a show from a production company; dunno if that’s the case here or not tho). I don’t know that they can just merge these IPs into a new work since they likely don’t own the source material.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Isn't there 10,000's of years between. Literally anything could have happened in that time.

I take it from the trailers we aren't going to get much more than touch down on Mars this season. It'll all be the race and what happens in space. Like a couple of over shows that didn't make it a second season. 
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 5 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    mattinoz said:

Isn't there 10,000's of years between. Literally anything could have happened in that time.
    No, there aren't 10,000+ years between For All Mankind and "the Foundation+IRobot universe," (I was referring to the combined universe.) They actually overlap. Here's how the book "I, Robot" begins:
    I looked at my notes and I didn't like them. I'd spent three days at U.S. Robots and might as well have spent them at home with the Encyclopedia Tellurica.
    Susan Calvin had been born in the year 1982, they said, which made her seventy-five now. Everyone knew that. Appropriately enough, U.S. Robot and Mechanical Men, Inc., was seventy-five also, since it had been in the year of Dr. Calvin's birth that Lawrence Robertson had first taken out incorporation papers for what eventually became the strangest industrial giant in man's history. Well, everyone knew that, too.
    At the age of twenty, Susan Calvin had been part of the particular Psycho-Math seminar at which Dr. Alfred Lanning of U.S. Robots had demonstrated the first mobile robot to be equipped with a voice. It was a large, clumsy unbeautiful robot, smelling of machine-oil and destined for the projected mines on Mercury. - But it could speak and make sense.
    Susan said nothing at that seminar; took no part in the hectic discussion period that followed. She was a frosty girl, plain and colorless, who protected herself against a world she disliked by a mask-like expression and a hypertrophy of intellect. But as she watched and listened, she felt the stirrings of a cold enthusiasm.
    She obtained her bachelor's degree at Columbia in 2003 and began graduate work in cybernetics.
    All that had been done in the mid-twentieth century on "calculating machines" had been upset by Robertson and his positronic brain-paths. The miles of relays and photocells had given way to the spongy globe of plantinumiridium about the size of a human brain.
    She learned to calculate the parameters necessary to fix the possible variables within the "positronic brain": to construct "brains" on paper such that the responses to given stimuli could be accurately predicted.
    In 2008, she obtained her Ph.D. and joined United States Robots as a "Robopsychologist", becoming the first great practitioner of a new science. Lawrence Robertson was still president of the corporation; Alfred Lanning had become director of research.

So in For All Mankind we're already PAST some of the events in the Foundation+IRobot universe. That's why I'm keeping an eye open while watching it. I don't want to reveal any big spoilers, so I'll be vague here, but there are things in the 7-volume Foundation Series that actually occur in specific locations in our solar system. 

• Reply 6 of 8
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    If anyone hasn’t seen this show. Watch it! It is so so good
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 8
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 323member
    This has been one of my favorite shows since its beginning — and given that there are several other Apple TV+ shows that I also enjoy ("Severance," "The Morning Show," "Dickinson," "See," and "Ted Lasso" all come to mind), "For All Mankind"'s quality helps me feel like the annual price of Apple TV+ is a high-value bargain.

Back when season one first came out, my feeling at the time was that space exploration is so expensive that humanity's actual return to the moon and eventual exploration of Mars would most likely be accomplished by international cooperation. But given the real-world news events of the last several months, I now wonder if a version of the fictionalized conflict in space portrayed on "For All Mankind" is what's in store for us in the real world in the decades to come. If "Star Trek" (the original series) was moral commentary on then-current events, "For All Mankind" is perhaps serving in a similar role — both for current and possibly future events.

I'm not trying to get political here. It's just darn good television.
    There could be international cooperation but it’s not necessary. Also it’s very difficult for me to see using SLS and Orion to get to Mars and I don’t think that NASA will be ready to go until the 2040s. Starship on the other hand should be ready by 2030. It would take Orion 6 months to get to Mars vs. much faster with Starship due to on-orbit refueling. There would have been an orbital test flight by now but the FAA took longer than expected to approve the flight and then the second generation Raptor engine was so close to finish that they decided to wait for Raptor 2. I’m guessing that they should be ready for an orbital test flight sometime in June. I know it won’t be May because they haven’t done any static fire testing or cryogenic testing yet.