Amber Alert on AirPods damaged teenager's hearing, lawsuit claims

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dope_ahminedope_ahmine Posts: 253member
    Eardrums ripped or not, Apple sucks at sound management in iOS. The user experience of managing sound volumes is embarrassingly terrible. They should rethink the whole concept with all the different volume types.
    baconstang
  • Reply 21 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,374member
    cpenzone said:
    While I do agree that damage is highly unlikely, Apple desperately needs to add individual alert volume controls in app settings. The Ring doorbell alert makes my ears bleed even when I have the volume set at normal listening levels. I would turn it down but the other apps are a comfortable volume at that level.
    Have you tried changing the Ringer volume under Device Settings/General Settings for the doorbell? It may seem kind of odd that they put the ringer volume control under General Settings when all of the other audio settings, like ring tones and motion alert tones, are under Device Settings/Notification Settings. I seem to recall that the ringer volume control defaults to the maximum volume - which could explain why it's so loud. Give it a try. I'm not sure whether it will fix the issue.

I would also check to see whether the iPhone's Headphone Safety settings also clamp the Ring notification and ringer volumes. 
    edited May 2022 Alex1N
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    WTF would a 12 y.o. have Amber alerts enabled?
    First of all, the manufacturer doesn't know who will be the end user of the device.

AMBER Alerts are on by default for US units. The feature doesn't really compromise end user privacy.

You can turn off AMBER Alerts. You can turn off Emergency Alerts. You can turn off Public Safety Alerts.

Let's remember what an AMBER Alert communicates: it's usually a terse description of the victim (usually age/sex), typically the last known location and often a description of the motor vehicle (often with a license plate number). It's the same information you'd get watching the local news on TV.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’m calling bullshit. No way a loud sound even at the limit of the AirPods’ capability can “tear” an eardrum. I’d like to see the hearing test and MRI. 
    A lot of would-be M.D.s in the comments saying this isn’t possible. Maybe leave the medical opinions to the medical professionals? 

The etiology will be investigated — what if the boy has a structural deformity that makes his eardrum particularly vulnerable? Have you looked in his ear? 

I’m sure if this case continues to be reported on we will discover what the medical opinion of true medical professionals is regarding this claim. I am certain this is possible, especially when occurring in the ears of a child, who, as a reminder, is not a fullly grown adult with fully grown adult ears yet.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    avon b7 said:
    I had no idea these things even existed but couldn't they be implemented in a way that whatever you are listening to is dampened down a bit to let the alert take momentary priority on the sound stage? 

They’re very scary and obnoxious. Also I don’t know whether to take them seriously or not in this clown country. 

The one in my state is a loud “error”-type sound like when Windows 95 would freeze.

This one is scary:
    https://youtu.be/Srsg0T1-6_Y
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Why hasn't anybody else complained about Amber alerts damaging their eardrums? Sounds like this kid liked to listen to music with his Airpods cranked all the way up. That's not Apple's fault.
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    As someone who got hearing damage from a loud noise and now have to suffer with tinnitus for the rest of my life I definitely can't see how this could happen. 

I think it's total BS. This is a forum, so I can play Doctor/Medical Expert online. I just would never call myself one while expressing an opinion.

The Amber alerts are a good thing. Given the number of child abdications in the US regardless of category I have no problem keeping the feature enabled. You only have to meet one grieving parent to feel a degree of their pain.

The Alerts could use a little volume reduction. And Apple's management of sound is annoyingly arcane at best. All that aside, one alert "tearing his eardrum apart" is pure BS. IF IF IF the kid had gossamer ear drums maybe this might be genuine. But an Amber alert being the first time ever that kid was exposed to a noise that loud or nearly that loud? The kid getting to 12 years old and the parents not noticing a huge sensitivity to noise? I don't buy it. The parents are trying to milk a cash dogcow.

If the kid has suffered ear/hearing damage I'm sorry to hear it. But it didn't come from that one Amber alert. Maybe it scared the kid and he tired to poke the noise out of his head with a pencil. Maybe the parents are angry that there baby was frightened. Don't know.