Apple 'Studio Display Pro' delayed until October, according to display analyst

Posted:
in macOS
A rumored 27-inch Apple display sporting mini LED technology and ProMotion has reportedly been internally delayed because of production lockdowns in Shanghai.

Apple Studio Display
Apple Studio Display

According to Display Supply Chain Consultants analyst Ross Young, the 27-inch monitor was originally meant to be produced at a Quanta Computer facility in Shanghai. However, Covid-19 lockdowns in the city earlier in 2021 have derailed those plans.

Apple leak! The 27" MiniLED monitor has been delayed as it was going to be produced at Quanta in Shanghai which has been locked down. Production is in the process of being moved to a different location and has been delayed. It now looks like an October release.

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Currently, Apple is working to move production of the display to another location, Young said, attributing his information to an "Apple leak."

The 27-inch monitor is now on track for a potential October release, Young added. In a response to another Twitter user, the analyst added that he didn't know how much the device will cost beyond "expensive."

Back in March, Young said that panel production on the 27-inch display had started and the device was slated for a June launch. He didn't provide any additional details, but said DSCC assumes it'll be called the Studio Display Pro..

Apple already has a first-party 27-inch monitor, but the upcoming device is set to an upgrade on the Studio Display. In addition to mini LED backlighting, Young believes that the display will also come with Apple's ProMotion variable refresh rate.

The Apple Studio Display in its current form is a $1,599 device with its own A13 processor, support for Center Stage and Spatial Audio, and a 12MP Ultra Wide camera and 3-mic array.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    I’ll wait for the… wait for it… Studio Display Max… 

32”

or better yet, a new iMac Pro. 
    edited May 2022 AniMillrundhvidAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 14
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    The Mac Studio is an excellent value -v- performance deal…not so the Display. It’s stupid overpriced! Stupid. Way.

if it had been $990 with adjustable/removable stand, it would have been just barely acceptable - especially with the terrible reviews of its cam and software integration.

if the Pro model comes out as expected, it’ll be $3000 w/o adjustable stand. Again, Stupid overpriced.

but this does all beg the question: with this designation, will we be getting an Apple Studio Pro, instead of a Mac Pro? Hmmmm…🤔
    williamlondonblastdoor
  • Reply 3 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    AniMill said:
    The Mac Studio is an excellent value -v- performance deal…not so the Display. It’s stupid overpriced! Stupid. Way.

if it had been $990 with adjustable/removable stand, it would have been just barely acceptable - especially with the terrible reviews of its cam and software integration.

if the Pro model comes out as expected, it’ll be $3000 w/o adjustable stand. Again, Stupid overpriced.

but this does all beg the question: with this designation, will we be getting an Apple Studio Pro, instead of a Mac Pro? Hmmmm…🤔
    The 30” Apple Cinema Display was $3300 when it first came out in 2003. 

Considering they named the Mac Pro as still to come in the Studio reveal, no.
    williamlondonAlex1NStrangeDaysdocno42
  • Reply 4 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    Sounds more like an iMac Pro to me.

I find it hard to believe Apple will release another 27 inch display when the new, very expensive and problem loaded studio display has supply chain problems so that  getting it  in the hands of those rich enough to buy one takes weeks if not months.
    edited May 2022 Alex1N9secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Great. 
    Apple Studio Display Pro, with [new features] and [some old features]… Regular stand sold separately. Pro stand also sold separately. Power cord sold separately. Some features only due to start working after a software update to come later (webcam). 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    AniMill said:

but this does all beg the question: with this designation, will we be getting an Apple Studio Pro, instead of a Mac Pro? Hmmmm…ߤ䦬t;/div>
    The display isn't overpriced. That's why tech blogs always have to use 2K and 4K monitors for comparisons, i.e., the rest of the PC industry doesn't use the retina display standard that Apple does. Complaining about $1599 for a 5K price when companies like Dell are selling 2K ultra wide monitors for $1300 doesn't make much sense. 
    edited May 2022 danoxStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    Maybe if apple was a bit more flexible with scaling, and MST support, we (and Apple) would have a few more options available.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 8 of 14
    So since these displays are already very expensive why are they being made in China where labor savings are minimal and there are currently major supply chain issues and will continue for the foreseeable future.  The labor savings on such an expensive item has to be rather minimal and it seems like a great opportunity for Apple to move some production away from this unfriendly country. 
    docno42
  • Reply 9 of 14
    So since these displays are already very expensive why are they being made in China where labor savings are minimal and there are currently major supply chain issues and will continue for the foreseeable future.  The labor savings on such an expensive item has to be rather minimal and it seems like a great opportunity for Apple to move some production away from this unfriendly country. 
    Because Apple doesn’t manufacture anything. In this case, LG does.

Wikipedia: “LG Display is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea, and currently operates nine fabrication facilities and seven back-end assembly facilities in KoreaChinaPoland and Mexico.”
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 10 of 14
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    AniMill said:

$1600 for a 5k monitor w/web cam is a reasonable price if you look at the cost of other 5k displays. The fact that the web cam is reportedly still not operating as promised and you have to pay $400 extra for a height adjustable stand sours the proposition somewhat.
    muthuk_vanalingamdocno42
  • Reply 11 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    MplsP said:
    AniMill said:

$1600 for a 5k monitor w/web cam is a reasonable price if you look at the cost of other 5k displays. The fact that the web cam is reportedly still not operating as promised and you have to pay $400 extra for a height adjustable stand sours the proposition somewhat.
    I prefer that the stand is ad hoc, since I don't even use one (VESA arm). Had they bundled it w/ every single unit, it would be built into the main purchase price for everyone.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 14
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    I always love how these unannounced products can be "delayed"  :D
  • Reply 13 of 14
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    entropys said:

I find it hard to believe Apple will release another 27 inch display 
    Indeed - I'd hope it would at least be 30".  Been using the same panel as the old Apple 30" display, but the Dell version, forever now and it would be pretty impossible for me to go to anything smaller at this point.  Especially if the resolution were higher.  Having over 40 eyes doesn't help either!

Occasionally I get my old Mac Plus out and marvel at what I used to get done, on a routine basis, with that tiny assed display!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    docno42 said:
    Having over 40 eyes doesn't help either!
    Are you an insect?
    mattinoz