EA reportedly tried to sell itself to Apple

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:
    If true, Apple should have bought them.
    Not really. A sprawling game publisher isn't really Apple's core business. I have friends working in the industry and EA isn't regarded very highly. Not really up to Apple's brand.
    Nothing is Apple’s core business by your thinking then. Everything other than what, is their core business? Is it the Mac, the iPhone, the iPad, the watch, music, TV, movies, AirPods? Apple has many interests, including games. But they’ve always sucked at serious gaming because they never stuck with any concept they had. They even had the Pippin, failure that it was.

no, gaming is just as much a core interest as anything else is - a car, a VR headset.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    Not really. A sprawling game publisher isn't really Apple's core business. I have friends working in the industry and EA isn't regarded very highly. Not really up to Apple's brand.
    Nothing is Apple’s core business by your thinking then. Everything other than what, is their core business? Is it the Mac, the iPhone, the iPad, the watch, music, TV, movies, AirPods? Apple has many interests, including games. But they’ve always sucked at serious gaming because they never stuck with any concept they had. They even had the Pippin, failure that it was.

no, gaming is just as much a core interest as anything else is - a car, a VR headset.
    Apple doesn't need to own the game developers to be successful in gaming. There are other barriers that need fixing first and foremost. 
  • Reply 43 of 46
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

Apple doesn't need to own the game developers to be successful in gaming. There are other barriers that need fixing first and foremost. 
    That’s wrong. Both Sony and Microsoft bought major game developers. It’s one major reason that the Xbox has made a comeback. Not just major games, but exclusive major games are responsible for a lot of these company’s success. Apple has nothing to compete with. Their games, as good as some are, are just for iOS, and don’t come close to match what Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo offer in the “serious” game playing market. It never will unless Apple produces them, and that’s difficult to do.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

That’s wrong. Both Sony and Microsoft bought major game developers. It’s one major reason that the Xbox has made a comeback. Not just major games, but exclusive major games are responsible for a lot of these company’s success. Apple has nothing to compete with. Their games, as good as some are, are just for iOS, and don’t come close to match what Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo offer in the “serious” game playing market. It never will unless Apple produces them, and that’s difficult to do.
    There's no scenario where it makes sense to buy EA and make their properties Apple-only exclusives, given the real value in those properties is that they sell on all major platforms, and there's no reason to reduce that customer base to Apple's platforms alone with exclusives. And Apple has no interest in managing a behemoth like EA and their pile of studios creating stuff for other platforms on top of *some* exclusives for Apple.

I meant that there are more fundamental things they could do besides owning a game developer that would make them more successful in gaming at all, much less competitive with the console makers. I don't know what you mean with "Their games, as good as some are, are just for iOS" — whose games? Apple doesn't make games, and there are myriad third party games on Mac obviously. If you mean the Arcade games they've commissioned, those are across all Apple platforms. They don't have a console, so let's focus on making the Mac (and ATV/iPhone/iPad I suppose) more attractive to developers and encourage future development. Better to finance or otherwise make deals to encourage ports to their platform, and entice other developers with better support, better game engine support, so forth. Advances in Apple Silicon may be one of those things as we are starting to get better GPUs and anything to get game engines firing on all cylinders on their new chips would be an improvement.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Apple you don’t want EA. Let it die. The place is so full of middle management that it is a shock that anything gets done at all. 
  • Reply 46 of 46
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    melgross said:

There's no scenario where it makes sense to buy EA and make their properties Apple-only exclusives, given the real value in those properties is that they sell on all major platforms, and there's no reason to reduce that customer base to Apple's platforms alone with exclusives. And Apple has no interest in managing a behemoth like EA and their pile of studios creating stuff for other platforms on top of *some* exclusives for Apple.

I meant that there are more fundamental things they could do besides owning a game developer that would make them more successful in gaming at all, much less competitive with the console makers. I don't know what you mean with "Their games, as good as some are, are just for iOS" — whose games? Apple doesn't make games, and there are myriad third party games on Mac obviously. If you mean the Arcade games they've commissioned, those are across all Apple platforms. They don't have a console, so let's focus on making the Mac (and ATV/iPhone/iPad I suppose) more attractive to developers and encourage future development. Better to finance or otherwise make deals to encourage ports to their platform, and entice other developers with better support, better game engine support, so forth. Advances in Apple Silicon may be one of those things as we are starting to get better GPUs and anything to get game engines firing on all cylinders on their new chips would be an improvement.
    I never said Apple should make current games exclusive. I just pointed out that others have done that. But they could come out with exclusive games as well.

obcious,y I’m talking about a few Apple arcade games when I said that they are good, but just for iOS. Some are for Mac. It doesn’t really matter, because they don’t compete with Pc gaming in any way.
    muthuk_vanalingam