Always-on display support for iPhone 14 Pro may be included in iOS 16

Posted:
in iOS edited May 2022
Apple's introduction of iOS 16 could include support for an always-on display, a feature that may arrive in hardware on the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max later in 2022.

The refresh of the iPhone 14 lineup in the fall may include a change in display technology, with the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max rumored to offer a low refresh rate of 1Hz. To enable such a feature, it appears that Apple will be laying the groundwork in iOS 16.

According to sources speaking to Mark Gurman for the Bloomberg "Power On" newsletter, iOS 16 will include support for an "always-on lock screen." This would "allow the iPhone to turn down the frame rate significantly on the lock screen and display quickly glanceable information," he adds, similar to some Apple Watch models.

Gurman goes on to claim the feature was "something Apple was originally planning for last year's iPhone 13." Apple did include low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LPTO) display panels in the iPhone 13 Pro lineup, a technology that has the potential to offer an always-on display, but the included ProMotion support only goes as far down as 120Hz.

Expected to be unveiled as part of the WWDC 2022 keynote on June 6, iOS 16 is tipped to include refreshed built-in apps, as well as "new ways of interacting," but retain the same aesthetic as iOS 15.

According to Gurman, this could include updates to notifications iPad multitasking, and updates to the Messages and Health apps. The makeover for the lock screen will apparently involve "wallpapers that have widget-like capabilities."

Messages could gain "social network-like functionality, with big changes around audio messages. For tvOS, Gurman expects more smart home features, whereas macOS will redesign System Preferences to make it more like Settings in iOS.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hope, the pill-hole screen picture of iPhone14 as shown in article is same across all iPhone 14 models and the differentiation(and price) between PRO models and non-PRO models is 3 vs 2 cameras on back, refresh rates, etc.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 2 of 14
    slow n easyslow n easy Posts: 323member
    I have no interest in an always on display. I actually have both touch to unlock and raise to unlock turned off so that I actually have to press the sleep/wake button for my phone to wake up. I kept getting so frustrated and angry because every single time I mowed my lawn, my phone would call my emergency contact. I spent so much time and effort to stop that behavior and the only thing that worked for me was to either eliminate the emergency contact info altogether or not allow the screen to turn on by accident.
    M68000fred1beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kidrock2199kidrock2199 Posts: 143member
    “a technology that has the potential to offer an always-on display, but the included ProMotion support only goes as far down as 120Hz.”

You mean 60Hz?

• Reply 4 of 14
    “a technology that has the potential to offer an always-on display, but the included ProMotion support only goes as far down as 120Hz.”

You mean 60Hz?

No, totally wrong. It can operate at any refresh rate between 10hz and 120hz.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I have no interest in an always on display. I actually have both touch to unlock and raise to unlock turned off so that I actually have to press the sleep/wake button for my phone to wake up. I kept getting so frustrated and angry because every single time I mowed my lawn, my phone would call my emergency contact. I spent so much time and effort to stop that behavior and the only thing that worked for me was to either eliminate the emergency contact info altogether or not allow the screen to turn on by accident.
    I don't see real use of Always on display in phone. I can see some use like raise to turn on display so you can see messages but for security/privacy, to attend the phone, you want to use authentication method to unlock it.
    fred1
  • Reply 6 of 14
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I tend to agree with the Always On comments.
    But this may be confirmation that Apple has their priorities straight.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    An always on Lock Screen doesn’t eliminate authentication. And would make some glance i queries a tad more convenient. While I wear a watch I know a lot of my friends don’t: they simply use their iPhones. Easier with always on. 
    avon b7fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 14
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I also don’t see the need for an ‘always on’ iPhone display. The ‘raise to wake’ choice is enough for me, or even too much sometimes. I don’t know if Apple solicits user opinions about new features (Steve Jobs was famously against it - “they don’t know what they want”), but if they really do plan on making this possible they must think people want it for some reason.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    fred1 said:
    I also don’t see the need for an ‘always on’ iPhone display. The ‘raise to wake’ choice is enough for me, or even too much sometimes. I don’t know if Apple solicits user opinions about new features (Steve Jobs was famously against it - “they don’t know what they want”), but if they really do plan on making this possible they must think people want it for some reason.
    Always on means you are being monitored even more wherever you go, it also means hackers get even more chances to try their luck getting access to rip you off. The Wi Fi program already sucks with it lack of real control.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    So bizarre when people completely hobble their devices by turning off useful features instead of learning how to use them properly,

It’s Raise or Tap to Wake, not Unlock. And Emergency Contacts is triggered by button presses (hold or tap 5 times), not activated by the screen being active in your pocket (which shouldn’t be happening anyway). It sounds like you’re doing it wrong. Either way, this is all completely unrelated to the feature in question. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wood1208 said:
    I don't see real use of Always on display in phone. I can see some use like raise to turn on display so you can see messages but for security/privacy, to attend the phone, you want to use authentication method to unlock it.
    This feature already exists with Face ID’s Attention Aware features. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    danox said:
    fred1 said:
    Always on means you are being monitored even more wherever you go, it also means hackers get even more chances to try their luck getting access to rip you off. The Wi Fi program already sucks with it lack of real control.
    You are completely misunderstanding what this feature does. It has nothing at all to do with anything you described. Also, paranoid much?
    Japhey
  • Reply 13 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Im actually excited to try this. But I reserve the right to either completely love it or completely hate it until I’ve actually used it. What would be very cool, though most certainly not included, is a Control Center toggle to turn the feature on/off without having to dig through the settings. 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    As long as I can turn the feature off, I don't care.