Saddam abandoned Baghdad?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Geez, now it's politically incorrect to acknowledge politically correctness.

No, it's just when you have a weak argument you shouldn't try and weasle out of a discussion by crying wolf.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Are all generalizations automatically false just because they have a racial component? I'm not saying you can't find exceptions, or that some stereotypes are just plain wrong. However, calling a spade a spade is not something I have a problem with if this is just coming down to being "2003-style" politically correct. If my generalization does not fly, then feel free to cite examples where the contrary is evident. Don't just browbeat me, and say it is politically incorrect to "think" like that.

I didn't say that all generalizations were automatically false if they have a racial component. I said that most (all?) generalizations are false regardless of what they espouse. This one is particularly bad because of the racial component. I agree that calling a spade a spade is ok. But is that what you're doing here? If you can prove to me:

1) that the entire Arab world is united in their hatred of the US

and

2) that this hatred of the US translates into a universal disregard for human life

then I'll say that you are, in fact, calling a spade a spade. I don't think you can do that. And how did this turn into me having to prove something to you? You're the one who came out with the racist comment. You should be the one to defend it.

As an aside, it seems that somehow this anti-polical correctness thing has turned into a "hell no, I'm not going to be subject to fairness!! That's politically correct and therefore it must be wrong!"
  • Reply 23 of 29
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Geez, now it's politically incorrect to acknowledge politically correctness.

No, not 'politically incorrect' just tired, cliched and typically ideological in the most inane and banal fashion . . . completely devoid of any real critical insight beyond the jargon terminology provided by the on-air right-wing pundit Du-jour
  • Reply 24 of 29
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    OK fine, the Arab community in the ME thinks the US is A-OK!
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

And how did this turn into me having to prove something to you? You're the one who came out with the racist comment. You should be the one to defend it.

I didn't ask you to prove it to me. I just asked for some examples to the contrary. To say the Coalition Forces are seen as an unwanted invader by the Arab community is fairly self-evident (with the obvious exception of a great deal of liberated Iraqis). Do you really need documentation on this??? I asked for some examples from your personal account of the situation because I'd really like to know. So far it seems you are simply intent to framing my comment as rascist and offering nothing else to the discussion. Please do contribute.

To the other "barking dogs"- the Bird.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    I actually agree with you . . . in fact it was my major point as to why we went about preparing and starting this war in the worst of all possible ways.

the Clod-footed diplomacy of Bush and gang was about as effective as filling fire hydrants with gasoline . . . . and, it showed there alterior motives, the absurd neo-colonialism of the Pax Americana project.

good in theory . . . if your writing science fiction!!

anyway, Im sure that you interpret the fact that the "Street" in most Arab countries have come to hate us as meaning something entirely different . . . heavens that you would ever consider agreement with a Quote*Liberal*Unquote
  • Reply 27 of 29
    ...and you were speaking of "just tired, cliched and typically ideological in the most inane and banal fashion"?...

If you agree, my apologies, but it simply wasn't evident to me within your last frothing-at-the-mouth post.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:

...and you were speaking of "just tired, cliched and typically ideological in the most inane and banal fashion"?...

If you agree, my apologies, but it simply wasn't evident to me within your last frothing-at-the-mouth post.

I was referring to the tired and often rabid use of the catch-phrase: "Politically-Correct"

this terms has been the favoriteof right-wing media pundits for decades: Rush, Will etc . . . it allows them to catagorize any sort of social-political concern into a neatly dismissable package . . . rarely even looking at the nuances, much less working through them . . .
  • Reply 29 of 29
    ...and when I quoted your "just tired, cliched and typically ideological in the most inane and banal fashion?...", I was actually referring to your post just above.