'Slow Horses' gets two more seasons on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Hit spy thriller "Slow Horses," starring Gary Oldman, has been picked up for a third and fourth season by Apple TV+.

Apple did not formally announce a second season of "Slow Horses," as it was originally bought in a two-season order. With the two made back to back, the finale of season one was able to feature a look ahead to the show's second outing.

Now, however, Apple has officially announced two more seasons, bringing the show to a total of four so far. Season three is expected to be based on Mick Herron's 2016 novel, "Real Tigers," while season four will be 2017's "Spook Street."

"Slow Horses" stars Gary Oldman as Jackson Lamb, the head of Slough House, an MI5 division that is shunned by the rest of Britain's intelligence service. It's where careers go to die, but also where deeper secrets go to be hidden.

"In season three of 'Slow Horses,' Jackson Lamb's disgraced spies work together to foil a rogue agent when one of their own is kidnapped," says Apple. "Season four opens with a bombing that detonates personal secrets, rocking the already unstable foundations of Slough House."

Chiefly adapted from Herron's books by "Veep" writer Will Smith, Apple says that the third season is to be directed by Saul Metzstein. No fourth season director has been announced yet.

Read on AppleInsider
winstoner71lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    winstoner71winstoner71 Posts: 114member
    Amazing news. Give us season 2 already, please. 
    williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Love this show. The cast is fabulous and Oldham’s character is rich. If you haven’t seen it, you’re missing out. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Excellent news, I loved the show. On the subject of excellent Apple TV shows - Tehran - OMG!  It is so hard to wait for new episodes each week.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I so excited, lol. Yeah, it's a great series and I'm onboard. Apple must have had to garuntee four seasons to keep Oldman, because that seems to be a really rare deal.

There been a few series that had a second season green lit  before the first one finished, and even a couple that were "renewed" before the first season started. The first season bears rewatching and holds up really well. Oldman is great, the rest of the cast is very good, but my favorite is Mrs. Standish (Saskia Reeves).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    WilliamGallagherWilliamGallagher Posts: 13member, moderator, editor
    macgui said:
    I so excited, lol. Yeah, it's a great series and I'm onboard. Apple must have had to garuntee four seasons to keep Oldman, because that seems to be a really rare deal.

There been a few series that had a second season green lit  before the first one finished, and even a couple that were "renewed" before the first season started. The first season bears rewatching and holds up really well. Oldman is great, the rest of the cast is very good, but my favorite is Mrs. Standish (Saskia Reeves).
    It's not uncommon for a production company to negotiate a two-season deal right at the off, but agree with the network or streamer to not say so. It lets them claim to be back by popular demand, and also to have the second run ready sooner than if they really waited for the show to be seen. We know See-Saw Films got a two-season order from Apple at the start because they made the first and second back to back, but it's curious that neither they nor Apple made a bit deal of announcing the second season. 
    StrangeDaysjose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    oldcastleoldcastle Posts: 23member
    I'm really invested in Herron's Slough Huse series. The books are terrific... and the Apple TV version is different but really good. I have some problems with Smith's scripts and the direction. Like the chase ending the series... Sloppy. It lacked any real tension. But overall I've watched it again and it holds up very well. Let's hope that 2-3-4 and maybe 5-6-7-8-9- keeping my fingers crossed - turn out as good... better yet... even better!
    lolliverjose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Awesome news. For me, this show was the exclamation point on a brilliant winter season for Apple that saw 2 pretty good shows (Succession & Afterparty), and 4 absolutely great shows (Severance, Ptolemy Grey, Pachinko, & Slow Horses). My only hope is that Olivia Cooke makes her triumphant return in one of these next 3 seasons. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra