macOS Ventura will let you use your iPhone as a webcam

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2022
Announced at 2022 WWDC, Apple is adding a feature for the iPhone to natively act as a webcam in macOS Ventura for users of iOS 16.

Continuity Camera on iOS 16 and macOS Ventura
Continuity Camera on iOS 16 and macOS Ventura

The company is adding even more functionality to Continuity, its technology to help its devices work together. A Mac running macOS Ventura can recognize an iPhone automatically, and run the iPhone camera when it's nearby.

The iPhone doesn't even need to be turned on or selected in the macOS Finder. The feature, called Continuity Camera, requires a Mac and iPhone with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. Additionally, both devices have to be signed in to the same Apple ID with two-factor authentication enabled.

The feature includes many photographic configurations already familiar to iPhone owners. Styles such as Center Stage, Portrait Mode, and a new Studio Light option helps light up the owner's face while dimming the background.

Center Stage uses an iPhone or iPad's Wide Angle lens to automatically zoom into the person speaking or moving to make sure the view keeps the person in the center of the image.

Continuity Camera also used the Ultra Wide camera to make use of Desk view. This shows the user's face while also showing an overview of the person's workspace.

Continuity Camera will be available on iPhone 11 or later running iOS 16.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Mac OS Ventura? What, Oxnard was taken? Is Mac OS Bakersfield next in line?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Excited about this feature
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 11
    It's almost like Apple is trolling tech sites and influencers who chose to ride the "bad web cam on Studio Display" meme...
    zigzaglens
  • Reply 4 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,539member
    Alriiiighty then! 
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MoaIGuyMoaIGuy Posts: 2member
    Guess the Camo app is dead, good thing i didn't buy it x'D
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    Does this mean this feature will not work on phones with a single camera, like the XR?

Cheers
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    This feature is beyond funny. Why would I want' to do this? Just integrate the quality camera into the laptop in the first place...
    edited June 2022 grandact73
  • Reply 8 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,075member
    jume said:
    This feature is beyond funny. Why would I want' to do this? Just integrate the quality camera into the laptop in the first place...
    Sure in an ideal world…but look how thick the iPhone’s camera is compared to your laptop lid. I’ll wait. Only so much you can do about pesky physics when it comes to focal length and light absorption, etc. (Studio Monitor is a diff story, however, that should have a premium cameras component IMO.)

I’m definitely jazzed about this feature, as a guy who does a lot of work meetings. Short of a very expensive dedicated camera, nothing beats my iPhone in low-light and other challenges. If I can just clip it onto the top of my Mac and hop onto a zoom…yes, please. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 11
    AppleInsider said:
    The feature, called Continuity Camera, requires a Mac and iPhone with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. 

Works with USB connection as well, not just wireless!

• Reply 10 of 11
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,057member
    Not on Xs Max? I’m waiting for the USB-C iPhone 15.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Where do you get the adapter