Without any fanfare, Apple's tvOS 16 arrives at WWDC

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2022
Apple did not discuss tvOS at WWDC 2022, with the update seemingly limited to support for the major new features in iOS 16, watchOS 9, and macOS Ventura.

Unlike many of Apple's other operating systems, significant updates to tvOS tend to be few and far between. Instead, most updates it receives tend to be performance-related, intended to fix bugs and improve user experience.

Features that tvOS 16 support include the new HomeKit additions, and Apple Watch connectivity with the Apple TV hardware. Additionally, Apple highlighted its new gaming push with Metal 3, and there is limited support for that as well.

In 2021, tvOS 15added the ability for users with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max to listen to Spacial Audio, a system that uses gyroscopes and other sensors in the devices to simulate 3-D listening.

It also expanded on the HomeKit Security features added in tvOS 14, tvOS giving users the option to view HomeKit-compatible security cameras in a grid view. Users can access this view from the Control Center or the fullscreen camera view.

In October 2021, Apple brought SharePlay to the Apple TV. SharePlay allows users to share media, such as video, music, and apps, with family and friends via FaceTime.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Apple TV goes the way of iPod next year at this rate. 

So much potential….
    lkruppOferentropys
  • Reply 2 of 30
    The way this WWDC keynote only presented "new stuff you can buy from Apple",
    I wouldn't be surprised if Xcode goes the way of iPod in two years.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 30
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    Remember.. it’s just a hobby!
    doozydozendutchlordBeatsentropysbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 30
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    tobian said:
    THIS! Apple hasn’t really treated it as much more than that…
    doozydozenentropysbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Ofer said:
    tobian said:
    THIS! Apple hasn’t really treated it as much more than that…

For 15 years?! They should just stop if they’re not gonna try. 
    Alex1Ndoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 30
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    I'm pretty sure they just glazed over it because the new Apple TV box/dongle is around the corner and will need some good software to sell it, since the hardware updates for the last few iterations have been pretty boring.
    entropysXedbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 30
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Apple TV is a pretty great product in its current iteration (apart from some poor-quality apps that crash a lot, but that's not Apple's fault), and the price is reasonable when you factor in the PRIVACY & SECURITY components, along with superior interface and best-in-class access to TV apps.

That said, when the AR/VR thing really comes into its own (presumably next year), I think Apple will need a version of Apple TV that uses their M1 or M2 class chips (for the better graphics) and maybe some lower price tiers to encourage adoption. I don't think (and Apple clearly doesn't think) Apple TV will ever be a seller on par with iPads or Macs, but everyone I know that has one -- even an old one -- absolutely loves it.
    Alex1Nequality72521Japheylkruppmike1Beatsbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 30
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Beats said:

So much potential….
    The iPod went away because for the vast majority of iPod users, it was replaced by the iPhone (or any smartphone). What is Apple going to replace the Apple TV with? 

Apple do have services like Apple TV+, Apple Store streaming movie rentals and purchases, Apple Music and iTunes Music Store sales. What device do Apple have that allows any TV and Stereo system to use those services?  Even if one can use an iPhone and Airplay to get those services on to a TV and stereo system (with WiFi connections), would it make sense to require you to use your iPhone for that purpose? What happens if it's your iPhone that is being used to stream a movie that your whole family is watching on a TV and you receive a call? Would your whole family have to stop watching the movie, while you take the call?  

I guess one can also use a Mac or even an iPad, to get those services on to a TV, but that would add several levels of complexity that most consumers would rather not deal with. Consumers now of days are use to just turning on a TV and immediately begin searching for what they want to watch, without having to turn on and wait for some other device. It's the reason why an Apple TV (and I believe most TV boxes) do not have a power switch. Physical media players will go away, before the Apple TV. 

Apple is not in the habit of providing Apple software and services, just to enhance or increase the sales, of third party hardware. Apple is still primarily a hardware company. And their software and services, are primarily meant to enhance and drive the sales of Apple hardware.  
    equality72521StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 30
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 214member
    Apple TV is a hobby, right. Nothing happened  for years. 
  • Reply 10 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    chasm said:
    That said, when the AR/VR thing really comes into its own (presumably next year), I think Apple will need a version of Apple TV that uses their M1 or M2 class chips (for the better graphics) and maybe some lower price tiers to encourage adoption. I don't think (and Apple clearly doesn't think) Apple TV will ever be a seller on par with iPads or Macs, but everyone I know that has one -- even an old one -- absolutely loves it.
    I really hope you’re right. Like Beats said, there is so much potential with Apple TV that is being ignored. I have personally got 5 people into them, and they all love it as much as I do. 
    Beats
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    The way this WWDC keynote only presented "new stuff you can buy from Apple",
    I wouldn't be surprised if Xcode goes the way of iPod in two years.
    Xcode gets it's own complete session these days. Keynote is way more press oriented even "state of platforms" is more a teaser to developers so the press can watch it. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I just have to get this off my chest, but I’m pretty sick of the Apple TV being treated like a bastard child. This is the second year in a row that it was left completely out of WWDC. Maybe if they showed a little more confidence in it and payed a little more attention to it, then more people would feel comfortable investing in them. I can’t even remember how many times someone has said to me “oh wow, I didn’t even know Apple made something like that”. And yet, every other person I know that actually has one, absolutely refuses to use anything else once they’ve tried one. The potential in that little box is astonishing. 

And yeah yeah, I’ve heard all the bullshit excuses before…. Maybe they’re waiting for this to come out, or maybe they’re waiting for that to come out…before they significantly update TVOS. Well, a lot of us that have been waiting years for some evolution are starting to lose our confidence in it, and I think if Apple does actually have anything planned for it in the future, we are the last people that they’d want to lose.  It’s time to shit or get the hell off the pot. 
    edited June 2022 Beats
  • Reply 13 of 30
    tvOS 16 Beta bricked my Apple TV 4K (2nd Generation). Can’t restore it yourself. So, have to call Apple and book it in for a repair.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I wonder if TVOS 16 will finally fix the horribly broken Atmos support that was broken after TVOS 14.7 in the 2021 version of the AppleTV 4K box.  Apple is completely unresponsive despite many complaints in their own discussions.apple.com forums and on MacRumors.  Atmos shows on Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+ and yes -- AppleTV+ are virtually unwatchable, with dropouts, stuttering, helicoptering, or a chopped-up aduio every few minutes.  Turning off Atmos in favor of 5.1 avoids the problem, but then what's the point of having Atmos?  "Drive to Survive" in particular is unwatchable and the only way I can get through an episode of the latest "Stranger Things" on Netflix, or "The Essex Serpent" on AppleTV+ is to reboot the AppleTV 4k before the episode -- then it's good for a couple of hours. 

I don't understand why Apple doesn't at least acknowledge this problem unless it's actually a hardware issue with the second-generation AppleTV 4K.  The first generation works fine, although some folks are saying that the problem sporadically appears now there as well after a recent software update.
    Beats
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Japhey said:
    I just have to get this off my chest, but I’m pretty sick of the Apple TV being treated like a bastard child. This is the second year in a row that it was left completely out of WWDC. Maybe if they showed a little more confidence in it and payed a little more attention to it, then more people would feel comfortable investing in them. I can’t even remember how many times someone has said to me “oh wow, I didn’t even know Apple made something like that”. And yet, every other person I know that actually has one, absolutely refuses to use anything else once they’ve tried one. The potential in that little box is astonishing. 

And yeah yeah, I’ve heard all the bullshit excuses before…. Maybe they’re waiting for this to come out, or maybe they’re waiting for that to come out…before they significantly update TVOS. Well, a lot of us that have been waiting years for some evolution are starting to lose our confidence in it, and I think if Apple does actually have anything planned for it in the future, we are the last people that they’d want to lose.  It’s time to shit or get the hell off the pot. 

So, what is your complaint exactly?! You and everyone else loves it. It's is probably the best quality streaming device out there in terms of picture quality and usability.
    What potential is being unmet?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 30
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    mike1 said:
    Japhey said:

So, what is your complaint exactly?! You and everyone else loves it. It's is probably the best quality streaming device out there in terms of picture quality and usability.
    Id say try to bring all the streaming apps (Netflix, prime, Disney+
    And more) under Apple TV+ channels, just like how lions gate play and few other channels work. We need a platform with one place to subscribe and one place to watch everything. Even searching and browsing at one place would be awesome. Why there are separate apps to watch n subscribe when everything under one place would be so much convenient. 

I know it won’t be easy but it’s apple if anyone can do it it should be apple. 
  • Reply 17 of 30
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    davidw said:
    Beats said:

So much potential….
    The iPod went away because for the vast majority of iPod users, it was replaced by the iPhone (or any smartphone). What is Apple going to replace the Apple TV with? 
    They don't need to replace the hardware.  Apple TV is being installed as an app on many TVs already.  A standalone box doesn't offer very much.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    davidw said:
    Beats said:

So much potential….

Apple do have services like Apple TV+, Apple Store streaming movie rentals and purchases, Apple Music and iTunes Music Store sales. What device do Apple have that allows any TV and Stereo system to use those services?  Even if one can use an iPhone and Airplay to get those services on to a TV and stereo system (with WiFi connections), would it make sense to require you to use your iPhone for that purpose? What happens if it's your iPhone that is being used to stream a movie that your whole family is watching on a TV and you receive a call? Would your whole family have to stop watching the movie, while you take the call?  

I guess one can also use a Mac or even an iPad, to get those services on to a TV, but that would add several levels of complexity that most consumers would rather not deal with. Consumers now of days are use to just turning on a TV and immediately begin searching for what they want to watch, without having to turn on and wait for some other device. It's the reason why an Apple TV (and I believe most TV boxes) do not have a power switch. Physical media players will go away, before the Apple TV. 

Apple is not in the habit of providing Apple software and services, just to enhance or increase the sales, of third party hardware. Apple is still primarily a hardware company. And their software and services, are primarily meant to enhance and drive the sales of Apple hardware.  

I’ve thought of this. I’d say it’s getting replaced by crappy pre-installed TV OSes.

And Apple seems to be abandoning iTunes also which is the biggest media store in the world. You didn’t even know the name and called it the “Apple Store”. I can’t tell you how many times people ask “where can I watch that?” And people list off streaming services and if it’s unavailable on a streaming service the person thinks they have to hunt down the DVD on eBay or a garage sale when it’s on iTunes for 5 bucks!!!! I had someone over and was scrolling through iTunes and a friend asked “what is this?” I’d say iTunes is leaps and bounds above Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ but I haven’t seen Apple give a sh** in a decade.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    cutykamu said:
    mike1 said:
    Japhey said:

Id say try to bring all the streaming apps (Netflix, prime, Disney+
    And more) under Apple TV+ channels, just like how lions gate play and few other channels work. We need a platform with one place to subscribe and one place to watch everything. Even searching and browsing at one place would be awesome. Why there are separate apps to watch n subscribe when everything under one place would be so much convenient. 

I know it won’t be easy but it’s apple if anyone can do it it should be apple. 
    All of those channels work under Apple TV+ except for Netflix. That is their decision and not Apple's. They can certainly choose to be included if they wanted.
    There are a few others that choose not to participate. I know AMC+ does, but the standard AMC does not. Clearly an intentional decision.
    Again, subscribing choices are up to the content providers allowing it, not Apple.

entropysStrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 30
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    crowley said:
    davidw said:
    Beats said:

So much potential….
    They don't need to replace the hardware.  Apple TV is being installed as an app on many TVs already.  A standalone box doesn't offer very much.

No, Apple TV app is just for streaming video, movies, TV, and music contents This is an Apple TV, not a $30 Roku TV box. The Apple TV box is hardware that can sync with your iTunes music and movie library on a Mac, that is connected to the same WiFi.  It can stream music and video from to your iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch with AirPlay (if the TV don't support AirPlay). It can access and download apps, from the Apple App Store. Plus provide decoding for various audio formats that the TV might not handle. You can download games apps for the Apple TV and use any of the third party Apple TV game controllers. You can even use the gyro in an iPhone as a controller for some games. You can search using Siri with the remote for an Apple TV, your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or HomePod. You can even use an Apple Watch as a remote. The Apple TV box is running tvOS which integrate nicely with other iOS devices. tvOS gets updated with new features regularly. The Apple TV box can be use as a hub for Home Kit, with apps downloaded from the Apple App Store.  

The Apple TV app is mainly for streaming contents on to a Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and any smart TV (that includes the Apple TV app). In no way does it replace the hardware of an Apple TV box, for most people using an Apple TV box. 
    chasmBeatsStrangeDays