New M2 MacBook Air & MacBook Pro still only support one external monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2022
Apple has confirmed that the newly revealed M2 MacBook Air and MacBook Pro can only drive their own internal screen plus one external.

Although not mentioned as the two new M2 models were launched at WWDC 2022, the surprising limitation is detailed in the machines' specifications. For both the new 13-inch MacBook Pro and the revamped MacBook Air, the external display support detail is the same.

"One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz," says Apple's technical specifications for the new MacBook Pro and the revised MacBook Air.

Both machines do support what Apple describes as "full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors." They are also able to provide Thunderbolt 3 digital video output, supporting native DisplayPort over USB-C.

Detail from the technical specifications of the new M2 MacBook Air
Detail from the technical specifications of the new M2 MacBook Air

Plus using adapters that are sold separately, both models can drive external VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 screens -- but still only one.

For comparison, the Mac Studio supports up to four Pro Display XDRs over USB-C, plus one 4K display over HDMI, for a total of five external monitors.

Apple has not commented on the reasons for this limitation.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    pjorlandopjorlando Posts: 30member
    That’s unfortunate 
    lkruppgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 46
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 125member
    USB-A ports also still missing
    lkruppwilliamlondonMplsP
  • Reply 3 of 46
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    lam92103 said:
    That ship has sailed. USB-A ports aren't coming back to the Air.

No one should be surprised; Apple has a very, Very, VERY long track record of eagerly sunsetting legacy hardware standards.

You'll need to dongle-ize it.
    lkruppwilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 46
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
     marketing still controlling SOC design I see.

ditto the 24GB of RAM. Why 24? So it is less than the 32GB on the MBP. The upgrade to 24 or 32 GB is the same price.
    edited June 2022 lkruppwilliamlondonAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 46
    entropys said:
     marketing still controlling SOC design I see.

ditto the 24GB of RAM. Why 24? So it is less than the 32GB on the MBP. The upgrade to 24 or 32 GB is the same price.
    My guess is that Apple believes that most usage cases for the Air and lower-end MB Pro units are sufficiently served with 24GB of RAM (8GB for graphics, 16GB for applications).

There are also power/heat and cost considerations as well.

Remember that M-series SoCs include the RAM in the package, not as separate chips like on Windows x64 PCs. In particular, the Air is fanless so the heat envelope is a serious consideration. Too much heat and the system will throttle on an extended workload. That would be a waste because you'd be paying for extra performance but not having that available except for a small window of time.

Especially for a notebook computer, ideally the system can run at the silicon's maximum performance with the thermal solution for that particular system. For sure, Apple's M Silicon design team specifically targeted the MacBook Air as the primary hardware platform. Assuming they move the iPad Pro to the M2, again the power considerations are of paramount importance since you really don't want to put a fan in a tablet.

Cost? More transistors = more cost. These are the entry-level products and Apple wants big fat gross margins on the units they move the most.

For sure, this paves the way for an M2 Pro SoC with more cores (CPU, graphics, machine learning), more RAM, and maybe even a little more memory bandwidth.
    edited June 2022 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 46
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    lam92103 said:

USB-C is the future. USB4 mandates the use of the USB-C interface. While the protocol remains backward compatible, you need the adaptor/dongle if your device is USB-A. 

There is literally no reason for device makers to keep supporting USB-A that is truly outdated. 

williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Another benefit of USB-C is the bi-directional plug. There isn't a right side up.

LOL, when I plug in a USB-A cable, it always seems like I need 2-3 tries to get it to seat.  ;)

And the USB-C connector standard can carry far more in the way of video, data and power than the legacy USB-A connector.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Most remote workers ideally need more than one external monitor… this is very unfortunate. I guess i continue to stay on my substandard Intel MacBook… cmon Apple!! 🙄
    williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Well, since Apple engineers have been mostly remotely working the past two years they probably disagree.

Or maybe they're using M1 Mac minis at home...  :p
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 46
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    lam92103 said:
    Yeah, also the DB15 port and the buggy whip holder.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Bring back the ADB, SCSI and AppleTalk ports!

And the Kensington lock port!

And an optical disk drive! And a removable battery!
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 46
    This is ridiculous I waited for this machine because I don’t need a pro machine since I primarily work with spreadsheets! Apple is only catering for these video editors who make up less of the user base! Normal people who work don’t edit videos all day so we don’t need all that extra power but when we work remote or even at our desk we connect into monitors and the more space the better!!! Apple is forcing us to get a pro machine we don’t need! It’s 2022 and I’m still stuck with an intel MacBook!
    williamlondondanox
  • Reply 13 of 46
    A USB-A port is  actually useful. It’s one of the reasons I bought a HP dragonfly as my work computer.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 46
    The limitation is definitely market positioning influencing design of the chip. At the 16GB option and levelling out storage, the difference between an M2 MBA and a 14 inch M1 Pro MBP base model is AUD$250 (USD$160, although no doubt less in the US). And for that diff you get multiple display support, a 1000 nit higher res display and more ports. A no brainer.
    edited June 2022 williamlondonAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 46
    entropys said:
    A USB-A port is  actually useful. It’s one of the reasons I bought a HP dragonfly as my work computer.
    Pack of two tiny adapters (adds less than the depth of the USB A plug itself) for $10.  Gimme a break.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    I am not spending big money to have to carry adapters around. How…inelegant.
    MplsPAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 17 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mpantone said:
    lam92103 said:
    Like HDMI?
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 18 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    netrox said:
    lam92103 said:

USB-C is the future. USB4 mandates the use of the USB-C interface. While the protocol remains backward compatible, you need the adaptor/dongle if your device is USB-A. 

There is literally no reason for device makers to keep supporting USB-A that is truly outdated. 
    When Apple stop selling accessories with USB-A connectors then that'll be a credible excuse.
    MplsPAlex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 19 of 46
    crowley said:
    mpantone said:
    lam92103 said:
    Like HDMI?
    It's a technicality but HDMI can't come back to the Air because there was never an Air with HDMI. 

That aside. I think mpantone is correct. We aren't going to see USB-A come back to the Air.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 46
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    mpantone said:
    Another benefit of USB-C is the bi-directional plug. There isn't a right side up.

And that right there is enough to confuse people... :*