Apple will continue selling the M1 Macbook Air alongside the M2 model

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mpantone said:
    To be honest, I'm rather disappointed in the new Air - to the extent that there is still no true-heir to the 12" Macbook. I'd been hoping Apple would finally make good on that machine's promise with a sub 1kg machine.
    Forget it, the sub 1 kg MacBook 12" isn't coming back.

Apple wants to sell you an iPad Pro.

With changes to iPadOS 16 including the new Stage Manager, it's clear that Apple is on a trajectory to increase macOS-like functionality in the iPad.
    I agree I can see them pushing such users to the iPad Pro. However, if you do a lot of text based work then you want a full size keyboard with the firmness of a laptop keyboard, with the weight on the keyboard rather than the screen. Also, I even considered the switch before from my Macbook but once you've bought an iPad or iPad Pro and added the keyboard you have both the cost and combined weight of a conventional laptop. I realise the 12" form factor isn't coming back but I had hoped the new Air might go for as light as the Macbook design.
    I agree that for heavy text entry, a more responsive full-sized physical keyboard is far more comfortable than a cramped one.

Apple already sells a full size keyboard that is compatible with the iPad Pro.

It's called the Magic Keyboard:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english

You aren't required to buy one of the folio models; of course you could buy both and just use the folio one on the road.

The Magic Mouse is also compatible with devices running iPadOS 13.4 or later.

I used one of the folio keyboards when I owned a full-sized iPad but since I switched to the iPad mini, I gave up on the folio keyboards. But I'm not using my iPad mini for much productivity work, it's mostly a media consumption device for me.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    mpantone said:
    Why would people buy the M1-Air with so little price difference?
    Some people have a budget in mind.

You save 16.7% buying the M1 versus the M2 ($999 versus $1199). If you were a purchasing agent buying 300 of these, that's $60,000.

The education market in particular is very sensitive to pricing (which is why Apple offers a $100 discount to that market).
    The M-1 will be gone by the end of the year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    MacBook Air has 2 Thunderbolts plus MagSafe port while MacBook Pro 13" has only 2 Thunderbolts but no MagSafe. Makes zero sense!
    Two steps forward one step back.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    danox said:
    MacBook Air has 2 Thunderbolts plus MagSafe port while MacBook Pro 13" has only 2 Thunderbolts but no MagSafe. Makes zero sense!
    Two steps forward one step back.
    No step back.

The MacBook Pro 13" is the same platform as the previous model with an SoC speed bump. It didn't lose anything over the previous generation. It's exactly the same down to the dimensions, 720p FaceTime camera, and destitute TouchBar.

Most likely there are freshly designed M2 MacBook Pro 13" prototypes enjoying a comfortable air conditioned existence in a lab somewhere in Cupertino. Whether they will see the light of day on a store shelf is up to Apple.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    mpantone said:
    mpantone said:
    To be honest, I'm rather disappointed in the new Air - to the extent that there is still no true-heir to the 12" Macbook. I'd been hoping Apple would finally make good on that machine's promise with a sub 1kg machine.

With changes to iPadOS 16 including the new Stage Manager, it's clear that Apple is on a trajectory to increase macOS-like functionality in the iPad.
    I agree I can see them pushing such users to the iPad Pro. However, if you do a lot of text based work then you want a full size keyboard with the firmness of a laptop keyboard, with the weight on the keyboard rather than the screen. Also, I even considered the switch before from my Macbook but once you've bought an iPad or iPad Pro and added the keyboard you have both the cost and combined weight of a conventional laptop. I realise the 12" form factor isn't coming back but I had hoped the new Air might go for as light as the Macbook design.
    I agree that for heavy text entry, a more responsive full-sized physical keyboard is far more comfortable than a cramped one.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english

You aren't required to buy one of the folio models; of course you could buy both and just use the folio one on the road.

I used one of the folio keyboards when I owned a full-sized iPad but since I switched to the iPad mini, I gave up on the folio keyboards. But I'm not using my iPad mini for much productivity work, it's mostly a media consumption device for me.
    Yeah but this is a less attractive option for me. I can get one device for the same or lower price point. Also a laptop protects the keyboard. A separate keyboard in a backpack is unprotected. If apple think for a writer on the go an iPad with a separate magic keyboard is the go to then they’ve got a solution looking for a problem. 
  • Reply 26 of 26
    mpantone said:
    mpantone said:

Yeah but this is a less attractive option for me. I can get one device for the same or lower price point. Also a laptop protects the keyboard. A separate keyboard in a backpack is unprotected. If apple think for a writer on the go an iPad with a separate magic keyboard is the go to then they’ve got a solution looking for a problem. 
    Sorry, no one can please everyone all the time. All products are compromises.

You could cut out a piece of cardboard to protect your precious keyboard. Or maybe there's a third party solution that I don't know about. As I mentioned earlier, I don't use my iPad mini as a productivity tool.

I will point out that the discontinued Apple MacBook 12" featured the reviled butterfly keyboard. I owned one. At some point, I expect to get e-mails notifying me that I am eligible for a class action suit payout.

Apple doesn't design products for individuals. It markets products that a wide range of users will find benefit in.

Trust me, Apple has designed tons of products that I have zero interest in despite the fact that they generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. As an indirect shareholder, I'm appreciative of Apple's efforts nevertheless. You want a HomePod, Apple Watch, or Beats branded device? Go for it. 

But that didn't stop me from replacing a fine MacBook Air with a ghetto Acer Swift 3.  :p
    edited June 2022 muthuk_vanalingam