New iMessage edit and unsend features have 15-minute time limit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2022
In iOS 16, you'll be able to edit and unsend texts sent through the Messages app -- but there is a time limit.

When iOS 16 makes its appearance in the fall, Messages will get a slate of new features. Two new features allow users a bit of control over what messages they send to other iMessage users.

Users will be able to edit messages, giving them a chance to fix pesky typos or expand on texts as needed. They'll also be able to "unsend" messages, allowing them to remove them from the chat entirely.

These features are exclusive to messages sent through iMessage, designated by their blue background. The feature will not work at all with "green bubble" SMS messaging, meaning the message will remain as-is when first sent.

The new features come with a couple of caveats. The first is that they have a strict time limit. You'll only have 15 minutes to edit or unsend a message -- after that, it can't be altered.

Apple also notes that older versions of iOS will not respond to unsend requests. In those cases, recipients on older versions of the OS will be able to see messages even if they are deleted on the sender's end.

After a discussion with Apple, AppleInsider has confirmed the time limit and the restrictions to older versions of iMessage and SMS recipients.

On Monday, Apple announced a slate of new features coming to iOS 16 at the WWDC 2022 keynote. New features include Safety Check, support for multistop routing in Apple Maps, and Continuity Camera.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Does that mean that there will be a 15 minute delay on all sent messages before they are received? So much for a text chat!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Does that mean that there will be a 15 minute delay on all sent messages before they are received? So much for a text chat!
    I don't think that's what it means at all. It just means you'll have 15 minutes from the time its sent to make a change to that particular message sent. 
    equality72521StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Plenty of time before you pass out after sending that drunken text to your ex. Great feature. 
    doozydozenequality72521command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Plenty of time before you pass out after sending that drunken text to your ex. Great feature. 
    Or the accidental dick pic....
    tyler82doozydozenequality72521command_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    kdrummerkdrummer Posts: 2member
    macxpress said:
    Now with iCloud Shared Photo Library, everyone in your family will still get to see that “accidental” picture!
    MasterBathingBearcommand_fwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    I wonder if the notification also disappears or is updated if you make an edit?
    MasterBathingBearappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    I’d really like Telegram style Emoji’s
  • Reply 8 of 13
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    kdrummer said:
    macxpress said:
    Now with iCloud Shared Photo Library, everyone in your family will still get to see that “accidental” picture!
    Make sure when you accidentally take it that you're in black and white: then it's art.
    hexclockkdrummerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Are they erased off Apple’s servers? That’s what I would like to know. Something tells me no, they are not. 
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    No, you’re just panicking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    hexclock said:
    Are they erased off Apple’s servers? That’s what I would like to know. Something tells me no, they are not. 
    Something tells me yes, they are. Apple has a history of not archiving what they don’t need to archive. They’re not Google or Facebook, you know. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Please think for a second before posting. Of course it doesn’t mean that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    hexclock said:
    Something tells me yes, they are. Apple has a history of not archiving what they don’t need to archive. They’re not Google or Facebook, you know. 
    True enough.
    watto_cobra