Mac app developers say app discovery is their greatest challenge

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2023
The latest annual Setapp survey of Mac developers reports that app discovery is a major problem, but over half plan to launch a new macOS app in 2022.

In the sixth edition of its annual survey, Setapp has questioned developers about distribution, Apple Silicon, and the war in Setapp's home country of Ukraine.

According to 354 respondents from 37 countries, conducted in May 2022, app discovery was the greatest challenge for 57% of developers. Gaining users once they've heard of the app was the main issue for 52%, while 51% of developers struggle most with app marketing.

In a distant fourth and fifth place were 27% saying their problem was a lack of a recurring revenue, such as subscription, and 22% saying overall monetization is a challenge.

As regards subscriptions, 26% were currently using one, while 31% said they would consider it. Some 11% said they had abandoned a subscription model, while a total of 23% either don't think they'll consider it, or definitely will not.

Developers are equally split between 29% who solely distribute apps via the Mac App Store, and 29% who don't use Apple's store at all. However, 42% said they use both.

For development work itself, 63% of Mac app developers are working on Apple Silicon for their work. But 71% have already released an M1-optimized version of their app.

Being based in Ukraine and therefore directly affected by the war with Russia, Setapp also polled developers worldwide about the situation. "Almost 70% of respondents felt some impact of the Russian invasion of Ukraine," says the company, "with 9% being impacted majorly or severely."

Setapp also says that "68%... rather or totally support using product features or creating new ones to help Ukrainians." Plus 53% of developers "rather or totally support their colleagues stop[ping] using the frameworks and applications that originated in Russia.

More details developer breakdowns, and survey methodology, are in the full report.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Before the app store existed, developers had to actually advertise their apps. And now they expect Apple to do that for them - for free?
    mangakattendanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Create something great and the advertising takes care of itself. 
    In this TikTok Kardashian generation, everyone wants instant fame and success without the delayed gratification and work behind it. 
    edited June 2022 danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    Before the app store existed, developers had to actually advertise their apps. And now they expect Apple to do that for them - for free?
    Well it would be nice if you could browse the whole list of apps either alphabetically or by catagory, but you cannot do that. You can type in a search but the store stops listing apps in the categories after 50 or so and that doesn’t really cut it when there’s thousands of apps.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    hexclock said:
    Well it would be nice if you could browse the whole list of apps either alphabetically or by catagory, but you cannot do that. You can type in a search but the store stops listing apps in the categories after 50 or so and that doesn’t really cut it when there’s thousands of apps.  
    It’s very common that I search for an app in the AppStore, I type in the name. The first however many hits though are not the one I was looking for. Rather they are Ads, apps that have paid for placement, even though they have nothing to do with what I’m looking for. Then there will be a mix of other apps with similar names. MAYBE I’ll be able to find the one I was searching for by name and maybe I won’t. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 5
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    tyler82 said:
    Create something great and the advertising takes care of itself. 
    In this TikTok Kardashian generation, everyone wants instant fame and success without the delayed gratification and work behind it. 
    That applies to bad money decisions, tell someone in your family these days to save and live within your means to buy something and the eyes glaze over.
    watto_cobra