Meta's dual-camera Apple Watch competitor has been shelved before release

Posted:
in General Discussion
Meta's now-cancelled smartwatch, codenamed "Milan," was slated to feature two cameras in addition to technologies to allow the user to use their entire-arm gestures as a device controller.

Meta's Reality Labs division was in charge of the development of the previously rumored device. According to a report on Thursday, the process has been stopped, and will likely not see the light of day.

The device was reportedly in development for two years. It was planned to incorporate activity tracking, music playback, and messaging like other smartwatches, but also two cameras and electromyography technology.

The smartwatch was also rumored to feature electromyography technology, and could allow users control with nerve signals from the wrist. The camera at the back of the watch was reportedly interfering with the accuracy of the control scheme.

According to Thursday's report by Bloomberg, there was also a camera on the face of the watch for video calling. It was originally scheduled to go on sale in the spring of 2023 at a price point "around $349."

First reported in February of 2021, Facebook, was rumored to be developing a smartwatch with health and messaging features, akin to the Apple Watch.

The smartwatch was rumored to feature a removable display with built-in cameras and heart rate monitor in June 2021. In October 2021, the smartwatch was leaked in photos to feature a rounded-rectangular face.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    FaceBook META doesn’t realize people don’t like them or trust them. Even those that use them, don’t. I honestly believe this was cancelled because, like the FaceBook phone before it, they saw the handwriting on the wall and realized that it would never fly. 
    williamlondonBeatsnarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    It was planned to incorporate activity tracking

I'll bet it was.
    williamlondonBeatshammeroftruthfred1jcs2305Japheydocbburkbestkeptsecretnarwhalxbit
  • Reply 3 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It’s sad when Facebook is more innovative than Google and Samsung. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    It takes incredible technical chops to create a viable device such as this. 

Meta simply doesn’t have the product development capabilities necessary. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Beats said:
    Vaporware is not innovation. Neither is harvesting users info to sell. 
    lolliverdocbburkStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamnarwhalCluntBaby92JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    It takes a lot these days to create a watch that is at par with Apple Watch. Apple has the upper hand of expertise in hardware and software.
    lollivernarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 262member
    DAalseth said:
    FaceBook META doesn’t realize people don’t like them or trust them. Even those that use them, don’t. I honestly believe this was cancelled because, like the FaceBook phone before it, they saw the handwriting on the wall and realized that it would never fly. 
    Everybody out there with a Portal, raise your hand.

Hello?

Anybody?

Hello?

Bueller?
    edited June 2022 DAalsethCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Beats said:

True they couldn’t deliver but better than “just copy Apple”. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Facebook (I refuse to call it the other name) is a dying platform and company.  This doesn’t surprise me.  
    BeatsnarwhalCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

Please don’t try to defend them. They are worse than Google and Samsung because they are scumbags that harvest user data and have been railing against Apple after Apple allowed it’s customers to block their snooping. Apple's change messes with Facebook's business model, to the point where it's potentially broken if millions of iOS users don't allow data collection and tracking.

narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

Please don’t try to defend them. They are worse than Google and Samsung because they are scumbags that harvest user data and have been railing against Apple after Apple allowed it’s customers to block their snooping. Apple's change messes with Facebook's business model, to the point where it's potentially broken if millions of iOS users don't allow data collection and tracking.

But they’re still at least trying to be original unlike Google and Samsung who also don’t give a sh** about you.

Maybe the time is right for Apple to enter social media profiles?
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 12 of 13
    DAalseth said:
    Everybody out there with a Portal, raise your hand.

Hello?

Anybody?

Hello?

Bueller?

I will cop to having a Portal TV (God rest it’s soul). It’s actually pretty great for video chatting. I have a Quest 2 as well. Even though Facebook is slime I don’t mind supporting the Quest platform, because I don’t think VR is ever going to be a big thing, so the platform will never be anything but a money suck for them. If VR ever does catch on, it’ll probably be the result of an Apple product. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    These ad companies keep mistaking themselves for CE product companies. Strange. 
    h4y3swatto_cobra