New 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 will be available to order on June 17

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2022
Apple's new 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip will become available to order on June 17, with shipments arriving the following week.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Orders will start at 5 a.m. Pacific Time (8 a.m. Eastern) on Friday, June 17. Customers will be able to buy the new MacBook Pro on Apple.com, through the Apple Store app, or at authorized Apple resellers.

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro is supercharged by the new M2 chip, which begins the next generation of Apple silicon and takes the breakthrough capabilities of M1 even further," Apple wrote of the new device.

Compared to the previous generation MacBook Pro, the new model has an M2 chip with a next-generation 8-core CPU and 10-core GPU. It also supports up to 24GB of Unified Memory, up from the previous cap.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro also has ProRes encoding and decoding for users working with the Apple video standard. Its battery life has also received a boost, with the model lasting up to 20 hours on a charge -- longer than any other Apple portable notebook.

Other than those features, the 13-inch MacBook Pro remains unchanged from the previous model. Most of the new MacBook Pro's significant gains are because of the M2 chip, which is an incremental update on the M1 with a real-world performance boost.

It hasn't received any of the major redesigns or new features of the new M2-equipped MacBook Air, which isn't debuting at the same time as the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple also says the new MacBook Pro is created with 100% recycled rare earth elements in its enclosure magnets and 100% recycled tin in the solder of its main logic board.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro will start at $1,299, or $1,199 for education customers. It'll be available in silver and space gray color options.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    grom007grom007 Posts: 15member
    Wish they would update the Mac Book Pro 16 or release a 17 in version.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 521member
    grom007 said:
    Wish they would update the Mac Book Pro 16 or release a 17 in version.
    Update it with what?  The M2 is a lesser chip than the M1 Pro / Max currently in the 16.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    No one should buy this.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    No one should buy this.
    Indeed. I have difficulty believing Apple have kept this around for any reason other than to make the new Air and the 14” MBP look like good deals.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    longfanglongfang Posts: 483member
    No one should buy this.
    Not even the people who swear the notch design is the worst thing since forever?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.
    Indeed. I have difficulty believing Apple have kept this around for any reason other than to make the new Air and the 14” MBP look like good deals.
    Per Apple, this is the second best selling Mac in the line up. That is a pretty compelling reason to keep it around. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.
    Per Apple, this is the second best selling Mac in the line up. That is a pretty compelling reason to keep it around. 
    I would expect that to change with the launch of the new Air. Yes, the M2 13" MBP has three minor advantages over the Air:
    1. Longer battery life (20 hr vs 18 hr)
    2. TouchBar (obviously only an advantage if you like the TouchBar)
    3. Teeny tiny performance advantage due to fan enabling longer sustained running of CPU/GPU at max power

However, the Air has some compelling advantages that, I think for most people, tip the balance heavily in its favour:
    1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    5. No TouchBar (plenty of people don't like the TouchBar)
    6. MagSafe
    7. Wider range of colours
    8. Probably better sound, but we'll have to wait for reviews to confirm
    9. Completely silent operation
    10. Cheaper
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.
    I would expect that to change with the launch of the new Air. Yes, the M2 13" MBP has three minor advantages over the Air:
    3. Teeny tiny performance advantage due to fan enabling longer sustained running of CPU/GPU at max power

However, the Air has some compelling advantages that, I think for most people, tip the balance heavily in its favour:
    1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    The MBA is Apple's best selling computer. So the balance isn't going to tip in it's favor, it is already there. That isn't the point of my post. My point is there is clearly a market for the 13 inch MBP. How do I know that? Because it's the second best selling computer in the Mac lineup. What people commenting here don't seem to grasp is that they are not representative of the typical Mac buyer and don't know what the typical Mac buying customer wants. The majority of your advantages were the same with the M1 MBA and MBP but the MBP still sold very well. Apple is keeping it in the line because it sells really well. This isn't rocket science. 
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    My point is there is clearly a market for the 13 inch MBP. How do I know that? Because it's the second best selling computer in the Mac lineup.
    Yes, second best selling in the absence of the new Air, which is what I was comparing it to. Before, I could see the point (just about) of buying the 13" MBP over an Air. But now, I just don't see why any significant number of people would chose the 13" MBP over the new Air. Are there enough people who do no research and just "assume" that it's better because it's a "Pro" not an "Air", or who simply must have a TouchBar?
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    My point is there is clearly a market for the 13 inch MBP. How do I know that? Because it's the second best selling computer in the Mac lineup.
    Yes, second best selling in the absence of the new Air, which is what I was comparing it to. Before, I could see the point (just about) of buying the 13" MBP over an Air. But now, I just don't see why any significant number of people would chose the 13" MBP over the new Air. Are there enough people who do no research and just "assume" that it's better because it's a "Pro" not an "Air", or who simply must have a TouchBar?

I don't know why but people really struggle with this. You are assuming your needs and wants in a computer align with the average Mac buyer but that alignment is off and so you don't see why people would choose the 13" MPB. It's really that simple. 

I'm in the same boat. When Apple said the the 13" MBP was their second best selling computer I was totally surprised. That isn't what I would have guessed. But it makes perfect sense that they would keep it in the line up given that it is a popular model. There is a market for the 13" MBP and our understanding of why that market exists isn't required for it to exist. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper

I don't know why but people really struggle with this. You are assuming your needs and wants in a computer align with the average Mac buyer
    No, I'm doing no such thing. I have a 16" M1 MBP. I am attempting to make an objective comparison between the 13" MBP and the new Air. You saw my lists. Where is the mistake? Where is the opinion?

For the avoidance of doubt, by "where is the opinion", I mean in the lists themselves. Clearly I have offered the opinion, based on the factual lists, that for the vast majority of people the pros of the Air should outweigh the cons, and the sales of the 13" MBP are going to fall, in favour of the new Air, and perhaps the 14" MBP. Now, perhaps that opinion is wrong. But if it is, someone is going to have to explain to me what the appeal is of the MBP over the new Air. Is it the TouchBar? 2 Hours battery life? 5% better performance?
    edited June 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper

I don't know why but people really struggle with this. You are assuming your needs and wants in a computer align with the average Mac buyer
    No, I'm doing no such thing. I have a 16" M1 MBP. I am attempting to make an objective comparison between the 13" MBP and the new Air. You saw my lists. Where is the mistake? Where is the opinion?

For the avoidance of doubt, by "where is the opinion", I mean in the lists themselves. Clearly I have offered the opinion, based on the factual lists, that for the vast majority of people the pros of the Air should outweigh the cons, and the sales of the 13" MBP are going to fall, in favour of the new Air, and perhaps the 14" MBP. Now, perhaps that opinion is wrong. But if it is, someone is going to have to explain to me what the appeal is of the MBP over the new Air. Is it the TouchBar? 2 Hours battery life? 5% better performance?
    I responded to your list above, most of it was applicable to the the M1 MBA vs. the M1 13" MBP.

"But if it is, someone is going to have to explain to me what the appeal is of the MBP over the new Air. Is it the TouchBar?"

Why do you feel anyone owes you an explanation for their purchasing? That is bonkers. It is their money and their decision. It has zero impact on you. 

My point is and remains, there is clearly a market for the the 13" MBP. You and I aren't the market and we don't get it but It wouldn't be a best seller if there was no market. This is a factual as you would say. It is really strange that stating that bothers you so much. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper

I responded to your list above, most of it was applicable to the the M1 MBA vs. the M1 13" MBP.

"But if it is, someone is going to have to explain to me what the appeal is of the MBP over the new Air. Is it the TouchBar?"

Why do you feel anyone owes you an explanation for their purchasing? That is bonkers. It is their money and their decision. It has zero impact on you. 

My point is and remains, there is clearly a market for the the 13" MBP. You and I aren't the market and we don't get it but It wouldn't be a best seller if there was no market. This is a factual as you would say. It is really strange that stating that bothers you so much. 
    It doesn't really bother me. You and I are having an enjoyable and illuminating debate; well, that's how I see it anyway.

It again appears that you have missed my central point. The 13" MBP was popular. Now, there is a new Air to compare it to. I have stated a case as to why I think demand for the 13" MBP will go down, now that there is this new Air to compare it to.

It also appears you took my "someone will have to explain to me" comment rather too literally. Of course no-one owes me such an explanation. It's just a colloquial method of emphasising one's incredulity. Since you are here discussing this with me, perhaps I was hoping that you might offer an analysis/opinion on how/why 13" MBP demand will be sustained in light of the new Air existing, beyond just "it was popular in the past, therefore it will continue to be popular in the future. End of story"
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    The majority of your advantages were the same with the M1 MBA and MBP 
    No. This is not correct.

1. M1 Air is only 9% smaller than 13" MBP
    2. M1 Air is 8% lighter
    3. M1 Air screen is the same size and less bright
    4. M1 Air webcam is not better
    5. -
    6. M1 Air doesn't have MagSafe
    7. M1 Air only has one additional colour
    8. M1 Air doesn't have better sound
    9. -
    10. -

So, only three of the ten advantages I listed applied to the M1 air vs. the 13" MBP. And on top of that, the M1 MBP had a larger performance advantage over the M1 Air, because it had an extra GPU core. Compared to the 13" MBP, the new Air is a much more compelling alternative and that's my point.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    No. This is not correct.

2. M1 Air is 8% lighter
    5. -
    9. -
    10. -

So, only three of the ten advantages I listed applied to the M1 air vs. the 13" MBP. And on top of that, the M1 MBP had a larger performance advantage over the M1 Air, because it had an extra GPU core. Compared to the 13" MBP, the new Air is a much more compelling alternative and that's my point.
    You keep ignoring most of my comments in favor of the little bits that you think work in your favor. This is called conformation bias and it makes having an rational conversation virtually impossible. 

"Compared to the 13" MBP, the new Air is a much more compelling alternative and that's my point."  

To you... It makes it a much more compelling alternative to *you*.... Not to the people that are buying the the 13' MBP and there are apparently a lot of them. Not everyone sees things the way you do. This is the part you keep missing and I can't make it any clearer. At this point it's willful 
    ignorance on your part. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    No. This is not correct.

2. M1 Air is 8% lighter
    5. -
    9. -
    10. -

You keep ignoring most of my comments in favor of the little bits that you think work in your favor. This is called conformation bias and it makes having an rational conversation virtually impossible. 

"Compared to the 13" MBP, the new Air is a much more compelling alternative and that's my point."  

To you... It makes it a much more compelling alternative to *you*.... Not to the people that are buying the the 13' MBP and there are apparently a lot of them. Not everyone sees things the way you do. This is the part you keep missing and I can't make it any clearer. At this point it's willful ignorance on your part. 
    This is hilarious. The new Air isn't even available yet! You cannot use current sales of the MBP to prove your point, because it has never been in the market up against the new Air. How can you not see this?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper

It doesn't really bother me. You and I are having an enjoyable and illuminating debate; well, that's how I see it anyway.

It again appears that you have missed my central point. The 13" MBP was popular. Now, there is a new Air to compare it to. I have stated a case as to why I think demand for the 13" MBP will go down, now that there is this new Air to compare it to.

It also appears you took my "someone will have to explain to me" comment rather too literally. Of course no-one owes me such an explanation. It's just a colloquial method of emphasising one's incredulity. Since you are here discussing this with me, perhaps I was hoping that you might offer an analysis/opinion on how/why 13" MBP demand will be sustained in light of the new Air existing, beyond just "it was popular in the past, therefore it will continue to be popular in the future. End of story"
    I think the key line in his post is "most of it was applicable to the the M1 MBA vs. the M1 13" MBP". Still the M1 13" MBP sold in huge quantities (in relative terms) and became 2nd best selling laptop in the Mac lineup. Do you have any comments on this particular point?

Edit: I guess I am bit late to join the thread and i see there are 4 posts before I could even read them. Kindly ignore my post.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    No one should buy this.

1. 27% Smaller 
    2. 11% Lighter
    3. Larger screen
    4. Better webcam
    6. MagSafe
    10. Cheaper
    No. This is not correct.

2. M1 Air is 8% lighter
    5. -
    9. -
    10. -

To you... It makes it a much more compelling alternative to *you*.... Not to the people that are buying the the 13' MBP and there are apparently a lot of them. Not everyone sees things the way you do. This is the part you keep missing and I can't make it any clearer. At this point it's willful ignorance on your part. 
    This is hilarious. The new Air isn't even available yet! You cannot use current sales of the MBP to prove your point, because it has never been in the market up against the new Air. How can you not see this?
    Good lord. 

Your comment that I responded to was:

I have difficulty believing Apple have kept this around for any reason other than to make the new Air and the 14” MBP look like good deals.

What I have said, repeatedly, is Apple left it in the line up because it is their second best selling machine. It is a prudent business decision to continue to make and sell it. It's a totally mundane point and it is weird that you are so upset by me pointing it out. 

• Reply 19 of 19
    longfang said:
    No one should buy this.
    Not even the people who swear the notch design is the worst thing since forever?
    Probably the same people who love the Touchbar.