Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon, lose million music subscribers in UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A new report claims that over one million UK subscribers have cancelled their streaming services such as Apple Music in Q1 2022, citing a need to save money.

Apple Music
Apple Music

Kantar Research also notes that there is a decline in the number of young people with music streaming subscriptions in the UK.

"With inflation rising to 9% in the United Kingdom and further rises in the cost of living expected," reports the company, "the rising cancellation rates of music subscriptions is evidence that British households are starting to prioritise the spending of their disposable income."

"Over 1 million subscriptions were cancelled in the last quarter," it continues, "which has also seen the highest level of consumers citing they want to save money as the reason they want to cancel their subscription, at 37%."

For comparison, Kantar notes that in the same period in 2021, a need to save money was given as reason by 33% of people cancelling their subscriptions.

"[In the UK] subscriptions are dropping the quickest amongst younger consumers," says Kantar. "[The] percentage of under 35 having access to a music subscription having dropped from 57.0% to 53.5% year on year."

As well as saving money, Kantar's research says younger subscribers are also cancelling because of technical difficulties, limited selection of music -- and too many adverts.

The research from Kantar covers all streaming services available in the UK, and specifies Apple Music, Spotify, and Amazon Music. It reports that across all of the services, the number of new music subscribers in Q1 2022 "dropped to below 1% of the population" in the UK.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    And those subscribers aren’t coming back either - they are finished… I wish Apple would just give me back iTunes the way it was… People are getting sick of the subscription based services. They want to have ownership of the products they buy… if they don’t upgrade, then they don’t have the latest feature, but at least they still have what they have paid for to date… I avoid subscription based services and products and will even settle for a inferior product if that product is a one time cost pricing model. Look at how that greed has killed Adobe… people can’t get away from those products fast enough now… and they are. But thats what Wall Street influenced companies do and have happen to them… deservingly so.  
    lkruppdanoxcommand_f
  • Reply 2 of 15
    MAU47MAU47 Posts: 9member
    And those subscribers aren’t coming back either - they are finished… I wish Apple would just give me back iTunes the way it was… People are getting sick of the subscription based services. They want to have ownership of the products they buy… if they don’t upgrade, then they don’t have the latest feature, but at least they still have what they have paid for to date… I avoid subscription based services and products and will even settle for a inferior product if that product is a one time cost pricing model. Look at how that greed has killed Adobe… people can’t get away from those products fast enough now… and they are. But thats what Wall Street influenced companies do and have happen to them… deservingly so.  
    I don't disagree with you in theory, I am over everything is a subscription, but music is one area I don't mind since so much new stuff comes out and for the cost of a couple albums a year I can have almost everything Your comments about adobe are just be flat out wrong though. 

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I wanted iTunes back too until I spent enough time with Apple Music to know that iTunes is still in there. I'm getting tired of subscriptions too, but in a few instances, like Adobe Photoshop which is regularly being upgraded with new features, often significant, without having to wait for a full product update. More are not as attractive because of their unjustifiable terms - having too little utility for the cost. This is subjective, of course. 

I don't agree that those who've left streaming subscriptions during this economic downturn won't come back when economies improve. Only time will tell.
    chasmcommand_flolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    MAU47 said:
    I don't disagree with you in theory, I am over everything is a subscription, but music is one area I don't mind since so much new stuff comes out and for the cost of a couple albums a year I can have almost everything Your comments about adobe are just be flat out wrong though. 

The rumors of Adobe’s demise are greatly exaggerated. I am a pro user of Adobe software and I have never been happier. I’m not sure about the view from the cheap seats, but for those of use who make a living with Creative Cloud, times are good. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    This has very little to do with owning vs streaming. Britons are getting poorer due to the pandemic, Brexit, etc. and companies are actively being discouraged by the prime minister from giving pay rises. People in the UK are having to cut back on luxuries.
    foregoneconclusionargonautAlex1Ncrowleywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    xbit said:
    This has very little to do with owning vs streaming. Britons are getting poorer due to the pandemic, Brexit, etc. and companies are actively being discouraged by the prime minister from giving pay rises. People in the UK are having to cut back on luxuries.
    That's a new one: don't give rank and file workers a raise because it will cause stagflation. Meanwhile the billionaire class has seen extraordinary wealth increases during the pandemic. 
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    polymnia said:
    MAU47 said:

The rumors of Adobe’s demise are greatly exaggerated. I am a pro user of Adobe software and I have never been happier. I’m not sure about the view from the cheap seats, but for those of use who make a living with Creative Cloud, times are good. 

By switching from Adobe Acrobat to PDFelement, you can allegedly even cut your costs by about 60 percent. It’s regularly $159, but you can sign up for a perpetual license for only $119 for a limited time.

Affinity will be taking a big slice of Adobe creative customers - they already have. It’s good software, very much like Adobe so there isn’t huge learning curve, and from what I can gather, the plug-in’s, etc… for the Adobe products will also work with the Affinity software… 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

The Wall Street funded reporting is just out there trying to recruit the next batch of greater fools… the ground swell of discontent with their pricing and now subscription based model is real and getting more and more traction… it wasn’t that long ago that Adobe didn’t have to really worry about competition… now that they’ve let the Wall Street greed take over the reins, they will have plenty of competitors…   

danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Just dropped Apple Music and won’t come back, it try’s to insert itself into just listening to music, and all the over services are the same, I just want to listen to and organize
    a music (playlist) and get on with it but none of the current programs allow that anymore. 

Streaming is for the birds also, not for me. Who knew DVD’s and CD’s weren’t bad gives you flexibility to adjust without interference from big companies, in your face with Ad’s and begging for money.
    edited June 2022 TightLines
  • Reply 9 of 15
    polymnia said:
    MAU47 said:

By switching from Adobe Acrobat to PDFelement, you can allegedly even cut your costs by about 60 percent. It’s regularly $159, but you can sign up for a perpetual license for only $119 for a limited time.

Affinity will be taking a big slice of Adobe creative customers - they already have. It’s good software, very much like Adobe so there isn’t huge learning curve, and from what I can gather, the plug-in’s, etc… for the Adobe products will also work with the Affinity software… 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

The Wall Street funded reporting is just out there trying to recruit the next batch of greater fools… the ground swell of discontent with their pricing and now subscription based model is real and getting more and more traction… it wasn’t that long ago that Adobe didn’t have to really worry about competition… now that they’ve let the Wall Street greed take over the reins, they will have plenty of competitors…   

Apple made a big mistake not picking up Freehand back in the day, also every time I see the M series SOC’s (haven’t upgraded yet) I miss Aperture not making it to the new hardware. (Actually I cry)….
    edited June 2022 TightLineswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    danox said:
    Just dropped Apple Music and won’t come back, it try’s to insert itself into just listening to music, and all the over services are the same, I just want to listen to and organize
    a music (playlist) and get on with it but none of the current programs allow that anymore. 

Streaming is for the birds also, not for me. Who knew DVD’s and CD’s weren’t bad gives you flexibility to adjust without interference from big companies, in your face with Ad’s and begging for money.

Apple made a big mistake not picking up Freehand back in the day, also every time I see the M series SOC’s (haven’t upgraded yet) I miss Aperture not making it to the new hardware. (Actually I cry)….
    You got that right… and you have a good memory, those were good software titles that i also wish were still around…

I am sure at the time Adobe had reached an agreement with Apple to not encroach into their territory after they went into the video production space with Final Cut Pro vs Adobe Premier - Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.. was needed on the Mac platform and Adobe knew that, so they had a little leverage back then… the key operative word in that statement is “had” - they have lost that leverage… but Apple has a lot on its plate… creating another whole replacement suite of apps probably isn’t at the top of their priority list; besides other players are starting to appear, and thats even better… Adobe messed it up big time… they will suffer as a company for it. And in the end, the parasite investors will saddle them with debt and then bail on them completely… but not before they have bled every last $ they can get…

I am rooting for companies that are now making quality products designed to go head to head with the products Adobe makes… and I am putting my money where my mouth is by purchasing and using those products.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hardly surprising, the country is in the shitter.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    danox said:

Amazing. Every word of what  you just said is wrong. 
    edited June 2022 chasmlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    And those subscribers aren’t coming back either - they are finished… I wish Apple would just give me back iTunes the way it was… People are getting sick of the subscription based services.  
    No, that's just you. Don't confuse yourself/your tastes with "people" and their tastes.

The iTunes Store is still there in Music, but you do have to turn it on if its not visible. They are still selling music for around the same prices they always have, and then of course there are plenty of vinyl (bleah) and CD (yay) stores both in your town and online from whence you can buy music ... I've been ordering a few SuperDeluxe versions of beloved albums, for example.

Streaming services are great, but I consider them an (insanely convenient) addendum to my permanent music collection. A friend suggests I might like a new artist? I can check them out immediately. Someone lets me know about a new boxed CD set I would want? I can listen to the contents on streaming while I wait for the physical objects to arrive in the mail. Can play anything I want from any genre while in my car, and friends along for the drive can request anything they like. Many useful purposes, and (with Apple Music) no ads or interruptions.

To put this another way, i still own and collect music in physical form or digital form. But streaming has completely replaced what commercial radio (but not non-commercial radio) used to do for me, and I don't miss it even the tiniest bit -- and I was in that business!
    command_flolliverbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    danox said:

Hey I’m in good company cause Hair force one (Craig Federighi) is wrong about Stage Manager and it’s ability to work on older 2018 iPad Pro’s.

Steaming, subcriptions, and layaway plans are path’s to owning nothing and being happy, so you must be one happy person for coming future of non ownership.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    danox said:

Could you say a bit more about why it's wrong please?