TSMC announces 2nm chip production will start by 2025

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Silicon manufacturer TSMC has publicly committed to producing advanced 2 nanometer processors by 2025.

Even as Apple begins moving to using the company's 3nm chips, TSMC has been planning a new production process for 2nm ones. In 2021, it got approval to build a new facility specifically for the process, and it had been predicted the first chips would be produced in 2023.

According to Nikkei Asia, the company has now announced its aim to be in mass production by 2025. It's the first time the company has detailed any of its plans, and it did so at what the publication describes as an industry event.

Speaking at a US symposium, TSMC spokesperson also revealed that the company was working to use "nanosheet transistor architecture." This is a radically different technology compared to the current 5nm processes, and requires considerable investment.

Nikkei Asia reports that Samsung has already announced plans to deliver 2nm processors by 2025. Intel is reportedly claiming its 1.8nm technology is ahead of schedule, and will be produced by the end of 2024.

TSMC made no announcements about customers for the forthcoming process. Previously, however, Apple bought TSMC's entire production capacity for 3nm processors.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Holy crap!  They are going from 5 to 3 to 2 in five years?  That’s crazy!
    (especially since getting under 100nm would break the laws of physics—at least according to the books on semiconductors when I was in college)
    napoleon_phoneapartAlex_V
  • Reply 2 of 8
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    bageljoey said:
    (especially since getting under 100nm would break the laws of physics—at least according to the books on semiconductors when I was in college)
    Hahahaha, what happened to pnp & npn 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    At that rate there's no way for Intel to offer power efficiency and performance. 
    danoxAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    netrox said:
    At that rate there's no way for Intel to offer power efficiency and performance. 
    Intel *claims* they will catch up and then surpass in the 2024-2025 range: 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16823/intel-accelerated-offensive-process-roadmap-updates-to-10nm-7nm-4nm-3nm-20a-18a-packaging-foundry-emib-foveros

But talk is cheap, and Intel has been doing nothing more than talk for a long time. 

Personally I really want Intel to deliver on these promises because I worry about TSMC's proximity to CCP+PLA. 
    danoxflyingdpAlex_Vjony0
  • Reply 5 of 8
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    So 2025 iPhone will use M1 Pro Max? 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    bageljoey said:
    TSMC will be the only one there with Apple, the other companies can’t even do what TSMC is doing today, there is no skipping over the other lower levels if you haven’t mastered them.

Samsung and Intel are putting the cart before the horse.
    edited June 2022 viclauyyc
  • Reply 7 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I don’t know about that, Danoz, it is a matter of access to the technology and production line assembly.

and Intel has signed a deal with TMSC to build stuff too.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 8 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,869member
    entropys said:
    I don’t know about that, Danoz, it is a matter of access to the technology and production line assembly.

and Intel has signed a deal with TMSC to build stuff too.
    Intel is no longer the richest in town, and alone money won’t get it done, but more importantly Intel has no in house OS, and that is where Apple disrupts their entire business model and the same applies to AMD and NVIDIA.
    edited June 2022 Alex_V