Apple starts taking preorders for M2 13-inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2022
The new M2 Apple Silicon 13-inch MacBook Pro is now available to pre-order, with first orders expected to arrive on June 24.

Following its announcement at Apple's WWDC 2022 keynote, the 13-inch MacBook Pro can now be ordered online. It can be configured with 8GB RAM, 16GB RAM, or 24GB RAM, plus between 256GB SSD and 2TB SSD storage.

At present, it seems custom configurations are not available. Early attempts to select one were met with a "currently unavailable" denial.

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro is supercharged by the new M2 chip, which begins the next generation of Apple silicon and takes the breakthrough capabilities of M1 even further," Apple wrote of the new device.

Compared to the previous generation MacBook Pro, the new model has an M2 chip with a next-generation 8-core CPU and 10-core GPU. It also supports up to 24GB of Unified Memory, up from the previous cap.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro also has ProRes encoding and decoding for users working with the Apple video standard. Its battery life has also received a boost, with the model lasting up to 20 hours on a charge -- longer than any other Apple portable notebook.

Other than those features, the 13-inch MacBook Pro remains unchanged from the previous model. Most of the new MacBook Pro's significant gains are because of the M2 chip, which is an incremental update on the M1 with a real-world performance boost.

It hasn't received any of the major redesigns or new features of the M2 MacBook Air, which isn't debuting at the same time as the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple also says the new MacBook Pro is created with 100% recycled rare earth elements in its enclosure magnets and 100% recycled tin in the solder of its main logic board.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro will start at $1,299, or $1,199 for education customers. It's available in silver and space gray color options.

Now that Apple has begun taking preorders, the new MacBook Pro will also become available from third-party resellers who typically offer better deals.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    The 100% recycled rare earths is interesting. That’s potentially another way to reduce dependence on the genocidal Han-supremacists running the CCP
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Just the 24 GB memory and a single external display are hurdles for me.

Maybe I'm out-of-date with the view that overall 'speediness' is generally increased with more memory than with faster CPUs. Do the Apple M1 & M2 CPU devices change that to the extent that a drop from 32 GB to 24 GB wouldn't be noticeable?

A single external wide display is fine at home but I travel to the office once a week on Wed (mainly to split the working week into two). Our office has two external displays on each desk.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    blastdoor said:
    The 100% recycled rare earths is interesting. That’s potentially another way to reduce dependence on the genocidal Han-supremacists running the CCP
    I wish that logic was true, but it could be also that the recycled materials actually come from China. Or North Korea. 
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    I'm not finding the article to be accurate insofar as when I go to Apple.com and select the M2 MBA, the blue "Add to Bag" button is dimmed out as it has been since the M2 MBA page was created.  Simply put, it's impossible to pre-order.  If AppleInsider can, please give specifics on precisely how that is accomplished.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    blastdoor said:
    I wish that logic was true, but it could be also that the recycled materials actually come from China. Or North Korea. 
    Ah, good point :-( 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jdw said:
    I'm not finding the article to be accurate insofar as when I go to Apple.com and select the M2 MBA, the blue "Add to Bag" button is dimmed out as it has been since the M2 MBA page was created.  Simply put, it's impossible to pre-order.  If AppleInsider can, please give specifics on precisely how that is accomplished.
    M2 MBP is what is available now. M2 MBA says 'Available Next Month'.
    jdw
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    jdw said:
    Sorry.  My mistake.  But it only goes to show that nobody wants that M2 MBP.  It's the far superior MBA that people are wondering why we need to wait another month even to "preorder"!!  Anybody wanting the "Pro" should order the 14".  The 13" doesn't make much sense at all in the Apple lineup.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
    Sorry.  My mistake.  But it only goes to show that nobody wants that M2 MBP.  It's the far superior MBA that people are wondering why we need to wait another month even to "preorder"!!  Anybody wanting the "Pro" should order the 14".  The 13" doesn't make much sense at all in the Apple lineup.
    Apple said it was their second best-selling laptop, so "nobody" certainly incorrect. It exists for certain market price points, but yes the superior Pro is the 14/16" and most people will buy an Air (their #1 best-selling laptop).