New iOS 16 beta features, iWork Updates, Apple's USB-C Chargers on the AppleInsider podcas...
iOS 16 beta, iWork updates, TikTok, and more
The second developer beta for iOS 16 introduces the ability to perform iCloud backup over cellular and new dual SIM filters for Messages. A toggle in iCloud backup settings turns on cellular backup, but users will need to be sure they have a data plan that can support it.
Mail also saw an update in beta 2 with a certified mail system for verified addresses. Users will see a logo in place of the default initials and a message stating the mail was delivered using a digitally certified standard. The standard, called Brand Indicators for Message Identification, or BIMI, is yet another step to reducing fraud by ensuring an email is from a real source.
Apple will also enable users to bypass CAPTCHAS, those pesky "verify you're not a robot" image selectors that almost always seem broken. Instead, the iPhone will present a secure handshake with the website to verify the user isn't a bot.
Speaking of internet security, Stephen learned a tough lesson about passwords and hopes Passkey arrives sooner than later. The hosts discuss the future without passwords, or even logins, as biometrics plus local device verification win out over the old email and password combo.
We also run down updates to the iWork suite, discuss why iPadOS 16 still isn't quite what users want, and how Apple's social media strategy seems random at times.
Contact our hosts
- New Relic: Get access to the whole New Relic platform and 100GB of data free, forever - no credit card required! Sign up at: newrelic.com/appleinsider
- Incogni: The first 100 people to use promo code APPLEINSIDER or go to the link incogni.com/appleinsider will get 20% off Incogni!
- Truebill: Save $100s a year by tracking and cancelling your subscriptions with Truebill! Visit truebill.com/appleinsider to get started.
Support the show
Support the show on Patreon or Apple Podcasts to get ad-free episodes every week, access to our private Discord channel, and early release of the show! We would also appreciate a 5-star rating and review in Apple Podcasts
Links from the show
- iCloud backup over LTE and more - what's new in iOS 16 beta 2
- Hands on with new AirPods features in iOS 16, including Personalized Spatial Audio
- How iOS 16 helps you track, manage, and monitor your medication
- What macOS Ventura features Intel Macs won't get, and what's coming later for Apple Silicon
- Apple issues updates to Pages, Numbers, Keynote
- Everything new coming to Apple TV in tvOS 16
- Hands on with Apple's new dual-output USB-C chargers
- HyperJuice 100W GaN USB-C
- Anker USB C Charger(Nano II 65W)
- Anker USB C Charger 40W
- Satechi 108W Pro USB-C PD Desktop Charger
- Apple's TikTok filter lets you recreate Harry Styles' AirPods spot
- Twitter's new 2500-word limit won't fix the attention spans it has broken
- 'The iOS App Icon Book' review: A mesmerizing tribute to beautiful iPhone icons
- Wilson Wilson - Tweet
- Swimmer stuck in frigid Columbia River uses Apple Watch to call for help
- Man recovers iPhone lost at the bottom of a river for 10 months
More AppleInsider podcasts
Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.
Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
Subscribe to AppleInsider on:through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.
Read on AppleInsider