Mac mini, 14-inch & 16-inch MacBook Pro rumored to get M2 Pro in the next year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2022
Apple is rumored to be working on Apple Silicon M2 Pro Mac mini, 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro models -- and also a Mac Pro tower equipped with a M2 Ultra and "M2 Extreme" chips.

Apple's WWDC keynote featured the unveiling of the M2 chip generation of Apple Silicon, as well as new models of the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro using the chip. While the Mac mini was included in the first wave of M1 devices, its absence from M2 may not last too long.

The product roadmap for M2 Macs will include new Mac mini models sporting the latest generation of chip, according to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg. For the Mac mini, it will apparently be offered with M2 and M2 Pro chips, while the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro will have M2 Pro and M2 Max variants available.

The long-expected Mac Pro tower will also benefit from the new generation, including a version of the M2 Ultra and a new "M2 Extreme" chip option.

Following on from the M2 range, Gurman believes Apple will continue the cycle with M2, which will update the 13-inch MacBook Air once again, as well as introduce a 15-inch variant. A new iMac is also expected for M3, as well as an "early development" 12-inch notebook.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    Great, now all I need is a lower priced 30” Apple display to pair with it. In what world should your screen cost substantially more than your computer?
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 2 of 14
    What about the 24” iMac?  I hope Apple offers an M2 Pro in that too.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It makes sense that the 12” and 13.6” MBA would have M2, 15” MacBook or MacBook Studio would have 1 fan, replace 13.3” MBP, and offer M2 and M2 Pro, and Mac Mini would offer M2 and M2 Pro, and of course, Mac Studio offer Max and Ultra. And then, or course, Mac Pro on top of all that. Seems like that is the direction the wind is blowing.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    premipremi Posts: 6member
    I need that 14inch m2 MacBook Pro this fall! Not next year!!!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    There’s a really big problem with all these new variations of M2: we can’t even get M1 Mac Studio w/ M1 Ultra until September, and the backlog on M1 Max laptops is pretty damned long too. If these M2’s are just around the corner - I’ve waited this long, I’ll wait longer…as might other Mac users. I believe that the reason the Mac Pro M was not introduced this year was out of fear of cannibalizing M1 Mac Studio and other high-end Mac devices. Byte the bullet Apple, just write off the delayed M1 units and start delivering the M2 thingies. If you can just drop in a new M2 into the existing MacBook Pro 13”, you should be able to do the same with all other variants.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 14
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,625member
    I’m ready to buy, but afraid that the first M1 will be dropped by MacOS support earlier than followups because of the “first generation” issue (like the iPhone, iPad, 32-bit Core Duo, etc). 

The M2 seems like it is proving that out by bumping the max ram already and the significantly larger die.  What else was added?

I’ll hold for now.   
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 14
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,246member
    eriamjh said:
    I’m ready to buy, but afraid that the first M1 will be dropped by MacOS support earlier than followups because of the “first generation” issue (like the iPhone, iPad, 32-bit Core Duo, etc). 

The M2 seems like it is proving that out by bumping the max ram already and the significantly larger die.  What else was added?

I’ll hold for now.   
    Apple is not going to drop support for a desktop chip that represents a next major architectural chapter. This is not an iPhone. 
    If they drop support, it’s in 5 years time and even then it’ll be running a future version of macOS. You just won’t be able to install the latest version. By then you want a new computer anyway.

Also, the size of a die or max ram on a SoC doesn’t mean anything.

If any, chips are getting smaller, and besides, do you ever buy a computer based on “hey, this SoC has the right physical dimensions for the next 3 years”?

Lastly, memory plays a completely different role in Apple Silicon. Even in professional workflows, this SoC will scale back more elegantly, because memory is a more integral part of the SoC itself. 

What do you realistically anticipate needing in 3 years that the M1 will refuse to do, rather than perform less optimally? Will you suddenly have turned into a power user by then? 
    edited June 2022 dewme
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jcohjcoh Posts: 23member
    This is just a stupid article.   Of course the M2 pro will be out within a year and guess what. In 2-3 years it will be M3 and M3 pro. And so on and so on.  Oh hey wait. I’ll be there will be an A16 and then A17 iPhone pro.  In the next year and two.   🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
    Japheymike1AniMillwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    Great, now all I need is a lower priced 30” Apple display to pair with it. In what world should your screen cost substantially more than your computer?
    I don’t know, but for a client computer the display is one of the most important components in the entire system. It’s analogous to HiFi systems, where you probably want to devote at least half your budget to the speakers - because that’s where the system’s value impacts you most directly. 

If you look at the low cost “teaser” system configurations from manufacturers like Dell they usually keep the system price low by saddling you with a low res dim display. 

Compare the Dell (and other PC vendors) chum monitor strategy with Apple, especially the iMac. The most attractive feature and prime value driver of the 5K iMac was its stellar display. Heck, my nearly 10 year old late 2012 iMac has a lovely 2K display that has only started to show up as a premium upgrade for PC systems shipping in the last couple of years. 

If the 5K iMacs supported target display mode I’d imagine a fair number of savvy users would be scouring the used Mac market for older 5K iMacs just to use them as monitors. 

In other words, if you buy a Studio Display today it’ll probably outlast at least the next two Macs you buy and still be considered a much better than competent part of your system. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    premi said:
    I need that 14inch m2 MacBook Pro this fall! Not next year!!!
    Why? Is that crappy 8 month old M1 Max not good enough for you? 

edited June 2022 williamlondonTRAG
  • Reply 11 of 14
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
      “If the 5K iMacs supported target display mode I’d imagine a fair number of savvy users would be scouring the used Mac market for older 5K iMacs just to use them as monitors.”

I completely agree here, there’s no reasonable explanation for disallowing non-M iMacs to behave as Target Displays. The Studio Display is powered by an iPhone chip for basically useless reasons. Making TD mode available would be a huge boon for eWaste reduction (something Apple insists is a great proponent of), and would show us Apple cares about its customers before profit…

However, the MBA’s are the MVP’s at Apple, so logic is out the window.

• Reply 12 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Good. Let's have Pro MAC laptops line and the rest. For example, 14.1",16.1" and future update of 13.3" Macbook Pro vs 15",13.6" Macbook Air and possibly 12" macbook toy. Performance vs non performance oriented. 
    edited June 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    timmilleatimmillea Posts: 242member
    An M2 Pro Mac Mini would make the Mac Studio look like the bloated, over-priced monstrosity it is. The only way they would sit together is if the Mini had drastically restricted ports and throttled-back M2 Pro performance. I think it will be a plain M2 Mac Mini, delayed due to supply constraints and because Apple has traditionally been slow to refresh the Mini. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    AniMill said:
      “If the 5K iMacs supported target display mode I’d imagine a fair number of savvy users would be scouring the used Mac market for older 5K iMacs just to use them as monitors.”

I completely agree here, there’s no reasonable explanation for disallowing non-M iMacs to behave as Target Displays. The Studio Display is powered by an iPhone chip for basically useless reasons. Making TD mode available would be a huge boon for eWaste reduction (something Apple insists is a great proponent of), and would show us Apple cares about its customers before profit…

However, the MBA’s are the MVP’s at Apple, so logic is out the window.

If it can run macOS 11 or 12 flush the machine back to metal do a clean minimum install. Add you iCloud account and set up Universal Control. All the features of a studio display minus about 100nits. 
    All it needs is network sharing and charging over the usb-c connection and it would be gold.