Apple TV with A14 & new HomePod with Apple Watch S8 chip rumored for 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2022
Apple's next model of Apple TV will use the A14 chip and be more gaming-capable, according to a report, while a new third HomePod could use the same chip as the Apple Watch Series 8.

Apple stayed relatively quiet about the Apple TV during WWDC, but it is still planning updates to the streaming set-top box as part of its home entertainment updates. For the next model, Apple may be planning to offer more performance in the device.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple's next Apple TV is codenamed J255, and is currently being developed with the A14 chip. Not only is it an upgrade from the A12 used in the 2021 model, but it also includes an extra gigabyte of memory.

Gurman reasons the new model should be useful for "additional gaming capabilities" arriving in tvOS 16.

Along with the Apple TV, Gurman also says that a third model of HomePod will be on the way. The update to the smart speaker, codenamed B620, will apparently run on the S8 chip, which will supposedly be used in the Apple Watch Series 8.

The model will apparently be closer to the original HomePod in terms of size and performance, and will feature an updated display on the top with "multi-touch functionality."

Gurman doesn't offer an update time for the Apple TV, but offers that the HomePod is "unlikely to arrive until next year."

Read on AppleInsider
Caffiend

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    don.don. Posts: 5member
    I've been waiting to hear about this since the Live Captions feature was announced. It requires an iPhone 11 with it's A13 Bionic or an A12 iPad. No mention was made of the feature on an AppleTV so my suspicion has been that it's not coming to the 2nd gen 4K with it's borderline A12. 
    Caffiendwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    designr said:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why Apple has not chosen to go the TV soundbar route combining AppleTV and HomePod (HomePod TV?)

This seems like it could be an obvious win.

Maybe there's even a HomePod TV Max (Pro?) that adds a camera to enable living room experience video calls.

I'm sure it's possible that Apple sees the future unfolding differently. Or that they've looked and can't find a way to keep their margins with such a product. But I'm guessing that more than half the homes in America have a soundbar attached to their TV. Possibly multiple soundbars in the same house if they have multiple TVs.

I too would be very interested in such a product. It is widely known that the "speakers" on most production TVs suck, and need help. I think it possible another problem Apple faces in solving this is how to get the signal out of the TV and into an aux device like a soundbar or homepod. The most reliable and common way is a wire, and while that's what the Apple TV currently uses, it might be that Apple doesn't wish to propogate this in a new product. Homepod of course intentionally eschewed data ports of any kind. Solving that means some work on latency issues. 

About all I can come up with is a HDMI wireless dongle that goes into a TV, but I don't think the HDMI port there has any actual power on it, so there would need to be some source of power...more wires, batteries, ugh. No one wants to have to reach behind their TV to charge/ replace batteries periodically; and that leaves the USB power source (like FireTV) as about the only option - and that's not something Apple would think of as elegant. 
    edited June 2022 Beatswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 16
    designr said:
    eightzero said:
    designr said:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why Apple has not chosen to go the TV soundbar route combining AppleTV and HomePod (HomePod TV?)

Maybe there's even a HomePod TV Max (Pro?) that adds a camera to enable living room experience video calls.

I'm sure it's possible that Apple sees the future unfolding differently. Or that they've looked and can't find a way to keep their margins with such a product. But I'm guessing that more than half the homes in America have a soundbar attached to their TV. Possibly multiple soundbars in the same house if they have multiple TVs.

I too would be very interested in such a product. It is widely known that the "speakers" on most production TVs suck, and need help. I think it possible another problem Apple faces in solving this is how to get the signal out of the TV and into an aux device like a soundbar or homepod. The most reliable and common way is a wire, and while that's what the Apple TV currently uses, it might be that Apple doesn't wish to propogate this in a new product. Homepod of course intentionally eschewed data ports of any kind. Solving that means some work on latency issues. 

About all I can come up with is a HDMI wireless dongle that goes into a TV, but I don't think the HDMI port there has any actual power on it, so there would need to be some source of power...more wires, batteries, ugh. No one wants to have to reach behind their TV to charge/ replace batteries periodically; and that leaves the USB power source (like FireTV) as about the only option - and that's not something Apple would think of as elegant. 
    Why not just an HDMI cable? That's what my current soundbar does. It also has wired power (which HomePod and HomePod mini do also). Wireless is all well and fine...and useful in many situations. But my soundbar isn't really moving so having it tethered in that way seems perfectly fine.

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the problem you're pointing to. If so, apologies.

P.S. It occurred to me that you might be considering how to connect a TV to the current (or expected) HomePod product whereas I'm thinking of a completely new and different product. Something with a standard soundbar form factor like this: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-R450-Subwoofer-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B07PDNX4G1?th=1 (but with the requisite Apple design panache of course).
    It is just that the current ATV with an HDMI cable (and optical audio) inputs is somewhat of a dated design. As you point out, it does indeed work well, it is just that it is pretty clear Appl ereally wants to get rid of wires - see eg the removal of the 3.5" audio jack on the iPhone; and recent rumors are they want a future iPhone to have no actual ports at all. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    An M1 ATV would be ideal in combination with Metal 3. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JWKennyJWKenny Posts: 1member
    A new chip and an extra gig of memory will be welcome in an upgraded Apple TV - as would a large increase on the meagre (almost not fit for purpose) 64GB of storage that the 2021 model has. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    designr said:

I agree with you.

I've always been in favour of the idea of a real Apple TV to house sound, panel imaging, video, user interaction, digital assistant and act as a permanent in-house hub.

It's one of the areas where you can get away with the 'added value' sticker and compete even if your prices are a little above average. 

Add to that the actual Apple served content that can be pumped through it and it seems like such a product could actually find its place in the market. 
    designrBeats
  • Reply 7 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    ATV could be so much more. At the moment all Apple seems to be interested in doing is using it as a repository for excess inventory of older chips. 
    The whole thing needs rethinking and most likely diversification.  A stick streamer at one end, a console killer in the middle and the soundbar idea above at the high end.  Of course, to be a consolekiller Apple would have to get serious about games.
    Beatswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    designr said:

I don’t disagree with you. I use a sound bar just like probably a high percentage of people do. But I have the Bose 900 surround sound system with the subwoofer. So in my particular case, I doubt that Apple will have a better system or even as good a system. But I imagine that Apple could have a much better system than typical.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    entropys said:
    ATV could be so much more. At the moment all Apple seems to be interested in doing is using it as a repository for excess inventory of older chips. 
    The whole thing needs rethinking and most likely diversification.  A stick streamer at one end, a console killer in the middle and the soundbar idea above at the high end.  Of course, to be a consolekiller Apple would have to get serious about games.
    Hear, hear!
    edited June 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 971member
    So they’ll replace a soon-to-be 4 year-old chip that first appeared in 2018 iPhones with a 2 year-old chip that debuted in 2020… in 2023?  And they call that caring about the product and moving it forward?  That’s just laughable.

Is the Apple TV the designated product for chips they source from recaptured old phones?  That’s the only justification I can think of other than extreme profiteering and taking their customers for idiots.  I’m not buying an AppleTV that has a several-years-old chip even when it’s first launched.  Seriously Apple, what gives?

You could say the A12 already handles video streaming functions at 4K, and it does, so why do you need anything more?  But video streaming isn’t the only thing to consider.  There’s also efficiency and as others have said the potential for gaming that is being left to flounder if not die off on the device completely.
    edited June 2022 avon b7Beatswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    entropys said:

But people who argue against me keep telling me Apple is serious about gaming!! Didn’t you see that Resident Evil demo and haven’t you hear of the Apple Arcade?!!! 🤡 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    The Apple TV could easily be a great gaming platform. But until Apple releases a gaming controller for it it’s not going to happen.

Yes, I’m aware you can add existing Bluetooth controllers, but it’s a faff that the average person isn’t going to do.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’ve wanted Apple to put that FaceID tech into the living room for what seems like a decade!! But that might require a USB-C port to power the camera array which I figured Apple would avoid. An option would be to add wireless charging to it with a huge battery in the back so it lasts weeks.

The sound bar idea is almost as old as the gaming idea. Never understood why HomePod didn’t support at least 5.1 configurations. The “.1” would have to be a 3rd party sub but even “5.0” would work if all HomePods handled the bass together.

Back to TV.

Here’s a diagram of how much Apple has shrunk the Kinect gaming tech. Placing the camera array above the TV at that size is so unobtrusive you’ll hardly notice it and it won’t interfere with the display like it does on iPhone. It would just disappear. This tech in the living room could bring a new era of TV. No need to give up your iPhone for Continuity Camera either.

Here’s my Apple TV wish list I’ve been adding to since 2016. I pretty much gave up on any of this happening:

Hardware unit:

M1 Or above

FaceID camera array

Misc.

Apple Watch motion/touch controller support

Remote:

Touch ID 2

Taptic Engine 2

3D Touch

M11 motion processor or latest

Longer battery life

Qi charging

Lightning port open to 3rd party accessories

Software:

FaceTime Family*

Gaming Channel

TVPlay*

New services explained:

FaceTime Family

As the name suggests. Invite the whole family (and the dog!) onto the call with center stage and the distance capturing more view in landscape mode.

Gaming Channel

Similar to the Apple TV App. Along with all Apple Arcade content under one app, Supports 3rd party gaming services such as Microsoft GamePass and Amazon Luna etc. solves privacy concerns and allows more streaming services onto Apple TV. Apple could introduce a gaming controller with button input names that change according to the provider.

TVPlay

A whole new experience driven by the new camera array. Could be several apps or under one app.

AR Games. Games that track your movements along with controllers. Accurate dance games and exercise games that motivate you to get fit while you play. Multiplayer support across Apple TV gamers on one screen.*

AR shopping. Try different clothing, jewelry, sunglasses and even hair styles.

AR Apps. Apps we haven’t even dreamed of. Animoji Karaoke with online and sharing. Animoji conversations and stories.

Health. Exercise apps and games. Yoga instruction that detects if you’re possibly doing a pose wrong. Body and health tracking.

SharePlay. Compatible with FaceTime, Gaming Channel and other apps. Share live reactions with family or online streaming platforms. Show off your gaming sessions or give a quick webinar. Apple could launch a new live streaming service for Apple TV users.

*This can be very innovative. Imagine playing this game co-op online with grandma/grandkid in another town:

https://youtu.be/2E2cf675Ifk

williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Beats said:
    I’ve wanted Apple to put that FaceID tech into the living room for what seems like a decade!! But that might require a USB-C port to power the camera array which I figured Apple would avoid. An option would be to add wireless charging to it with a huge battery in the back so it lasts weeks.

The sound bar idea is almost as old as the gaming idea. Never understood why HomePod didn’t support at least 5.1 configurations. The “.1” would have to be a 3rd party sub but even “5.0” would work if all HomePods handled the bass together.

Back to TV.

Here’s a diagram of how much Apple has shrunk the Kinect gaming tech. Placing the camera array above the TV at that size is so unobtrusive you’ll hardly notice it and it won’t interfere with the display like it does on iPhone. It would just disappear. This tech in the living room could bring a new era of TV. No need to give up your iPhone for Continuity Camera either.

Here’s my Apple TV wish list I’ve been adding to since 2016. I pretty much gave up on any of this happening:

Hardware unit:

M1 Or above

FaceID camera array

Misc.

Apple Watch motion/touch controller support

Remote:

Touch ID 2

Taptic Engine 2

3D Touch

M11 motion processor or latest

Longer battery life

Qi charging

Lightning port open to 3rd party accessories

Software:

FaceTime Family*

Gaming Channel

TVPlay*

New services explained:

FaceTime Family

As the name suggests. Invite the whole family (and the dog!) onto the call with center stage and the distance capturing more view in landscape mode.

Gaming Channel

Similar to the Apple TV App. Along with all Apple Arcade content under one app, Supports 3rd party gaming services such as Microsoft GamePass and Amazon Luna etc. solves privacy concerns and allows more streaming services onto Apple TV. Apple could introduce a gaming controller with button input names that change according to the provider.

TVPlay

A whole new experience driven by the new camera array. Could be several apps or under one app.

AR Games. Games that track your movements along with controllers. Accurate dance games and exercise games that motivate you to get fit while you play. Multiplayer support across Apple TV gamers on one screen.*

AR shopping. Try different clothing, jewelry, sunglasses and even hair styles.

AR Apps. Apps we haven’t even dreamed of. Animoji Karaoke with online and sharing. Animoji conversations and stories.

Health. Exercise apps and games. Yoga instruction that detects if you’re possibly doing a pose wrong. Body and health tracking.

SharePlay. Compatible with FaceTime, Gaming Channel and other apps. Share live reactions with family or online streaming platforms. Show off your gaming sessions or give a quick webinar. Apple could launch a new live streaming service for Apple TV users.

*This can be very innovative. Imagine playing this game co-op online with grandma/grandkid in another town:

https://youtu.be/2E2cf675Ifk

Maybe hang a mac mini on the TV set? IIRC, it still has an HDMI port. I use an old one headless to show movies.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    designr said:

I don’t disagree with you. I use a sound bar just like probably a high percentage of people do. But I have the Bose 900 surround sound system with the subwoofer. So in my particular case, I doubt that Apple will have a better system or even as good a system. But I imagine that Apple could have a much better system than typical.
    Even a good system? Hahaha Somebody is pretty proud of their Bose soundbar setup? I personally would never pay that much for anything Bose makes but to each their own.

I fully believe Apple could make a very good product that could compete with any high end soundbar, but people will have issues with the price point that would require since it isn't made by Bose or Sonos. People lost their shit over the Airpods Max price could imagine the responses to a $1,200.00 or more soundbar?  After going with an OG homepod instead of Sonos Play 5 a few years back I am fully onboard with Apple speaker quality. I would LOVE to see what a 2.1 sounbar offering from them would sound like!