Always-on iPhone 14 Pro display, M2 iPad Pro expected for late 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The iPhone 14 Pro range will benefit from an always-on display that highlights the new lock screen widgets of iOS 16, a report on Apple's product updates proposes, meanwhile iPad Pro changes could include M2-equipped models.

Apple has previously been rumored to include an always-on display in the Pro lineup of iPhone 14 models, with code included in iOS 16 betas seemingly confirming the claims about the feature. Though it has apparently been in development for years, a report claims the change is warranted now, due to the introduction of lock screen changes.

The iPhone 14 Pro will be able to show the same lock screen widgets as the iPhone 14 range, reports Mark Gurman for Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter on Sunday. These features will display while the screen remains at a low brightness and framerate, while a setting will also prevent sensitive data from appearing on that display.

As well as the display, Gurman writes the changes to the Pro models will include an updated front-facing camera, a 48-megapixel sensor for the rear camera system, thinner bezels, an upgrade to the A16 chip, and the update to the pill-shaped cutout and hole punch instead of the usual notch.

The non-Pro iPhone 14 models will apparently have more modest changes, including retaining the A15 chip for another year. However, the 5.4-inch mini model will be replaced by a 6.7-inch version.

All models will still use Lightning for physical connectivity, though a transition to USB-C is touted for 2023.

On to iPad, and Gurman believes that a new low-end model with A14 and 5G connectivity will be arriving in the fall, complete with that USB-C connection.

The iPad Pro lineup will apparently get a refresh later in 2022, with 11-inch and 12.9-inch models sporting M2 chips that will work with Apple's Stage Manager. Codenamed J617 and J620, the additions will expand the range of models that support the new multi-tasking system from three to five when they are released.

Further in the future, Gurman expects Apple to introduce an even bigger iPad model within a year or two. That model could have a display between 14 inches and 15 inches in size, a considerable step up from 12.9.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    The last thing I want is a always on screen on the nightstand. Someone please tell me you can shut it down. 
    stevenoz
  • Reply 2 of 21
    dangaiohdangaioh Posts: 16member
    The Samsung Galaxy has had an always-on display since 2016 starting with the S7. Apple likes to Sherlock Samsung’s old tech years later, but 7 years is a joke. Apple do you really expect us to be in awe?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dangaioh said:
    The Samsung Galaxy has had an always-on display since 2016 starting with the S7. Apple likes to Sherlock Samsung’s old tech years later, but 7 years is a joke. Apple do you really expect us to be in awe?
    First of all, maybe learn what the word “sherlock” actually means. Second of all, the only people that give a shit about Samsung are Samsung users. They did it first? Who cares? The list of ideas they stole from Apple is much longer than the other way around. Third of all, it’s 6 years, not 7. Maybe there’s a basic arithmetic app somewhere on Android for you to play around with. 
    qwerty52
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jdgaz said:
    The last thing I want is a always on screen on the nightstand. Someone please tell me you can shut it down. 
    Why wouldn’t there be a setting to turn it off? Do you really think Apple hasn’t considered that, and a hundred other things that you haven’t even thought of? Jesus. 

Quick, name one feature on the iPhone that isn’t optional. Just one. 

edited June 2022
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Japhey said:
    dangaioh said:
    First of all, maybe learn what the word “sherlock” actually means. Second of all, the only people that give a shit about Samsung are Samsung users. They did it first? Who cares? The list of ideas they stole from Apple is much longer than the other way around. Third of all, it’s 6 years, not 7. Maybe there’s a basic arithmetic app somewhere on Android for you to play around with. 

i actually do give a shit about apple product and samsung products because i use both. and i care samsung did it first. better stop spamming replying to everyone. what he stated is basic fact, apple is late to such an important feature.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,108member
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:
    Why wouldn’t there be a setting to turn it off? Do you really think Apple hasn’t considered that, and a hundred other things that you haven’t even thought of? Jesus. 

I’m not sure why you’re so angry about this, but one feature I can name is WiFi going on automatically at, I believe, 5 AM. This can’t be turned off except by going to Settings *each time* and manually switching off WiFi the night before, *every night*.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Japhey said:
    dangaioh said:
    Hey there Mr. Know it All. Wrong and wrong again. It’s been 6 years, 3 months, and 23 days if you want to knit pick. The S7 came out March 11 2016. I assume you know today’s date, and I know what the term Sherlock means. Stop trolling me.
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    jdgaz said:
    My father has the S20 Ultra with AOD and it makes the clock, day date and batter % just bright enough to be seen, but not bright enough to light a room up at night if you trying to sleep. I assume we can expect the same from Apple? I would also think that if AOD is able to be turned off on Apple watch it will be the same for the phone?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Japhey said:
    dangaioh said:
    Sherlocking refers back to Apple supposedly bundled features into Sherlock 3, that were previously included in Watson without permission from or compensation to Karelia Software.

Watson was a software program released by Karelia Software for the Macintosh on November 27, 2001, which provided Internet content through a familiar Mac OS X-like interface through the use of plug-ins.

Plug-ins were programmed in the Objective-C language using the Cocoa frameworks, included with the Mac OS X operating system.

On September 18, 2002, Apple bundled a similar program, Sherlock 3, with Mac OS X v10.2. Advocates of Watson claim that Apple copied the features of Watson without permission, compensation, or attribution. Apple, however, claims that a Watson-like program was simply the natural evolution of Sherlock 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia_Watson

edited June 2022
  • Reply 10 of 21
    dangaioh said:
    Japhey said:
    dangaioh said:
    Hey there Mr. Know it All. Wrong and wrong again. It’s been 6 years, 3 months, and 23 days if you want to knit pick. The S7 came out March 11 2016. I assume you know today’s date, and I know what the term Sherlock means. Stop trolling me.
    Easy Tiger.. they all do it.

9 Features that Android Borrowed from Apple’s iOS

Twenty features you didn’t know Android and iOS stole from each other

• Reply 11 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Apple please keep the same either notch or hole-punch,pill-shaped cutouts across all iPhone 14 models.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,968member
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

The App Store.
    fred1
  • Reply 13 of 21
    AppleZulu said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

The App Store.

edited June 2022
  • Reply 14 of 21
    fred1 said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

I’m not sure why you’re so angry about this, but one feature I can name is WiFi going on automatically at, I believe, 5 AM. This can’t be turned off except by going to Settings *each time* and manually switching off WiFi the night before, *every night*.
    So, you’re saying that it is, in fact, an option? Just one that requires a little extra effort from you? Sorry, that still counts. 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Japhey said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

The App Store.

Well, sure, if you don't want any apps. Chuck the phone in a wood-chipper and it's "optional," too.

(P.S. You can't actually remove the App Store app. It'll still be right there in the App library on the back page.)
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

Also, the prohibition of browsing root system files. That's not optional. 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

The clock on the status bar. 
  • Reply 18 of 21
    AppleZulu said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

That’s also not a feature. 

And the clock? C’mon, you really had to reach deep for that one. And can something that’s included on every single phone, tablet, computer, tv, DVD player, smart watch, etc. really be considered a “feature”? Wouldn’t you agree that a clock is fundamental, or intrinsic, to the system that includes it? I can see that it’s important to you to win this argument, but surely you can do better than the clock, lol. 

I’m moving on from this thread now. Respond if you will, but I probably won’t ever see it. Cheers!
  • Reply 19 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,108member
    Japhey said:
    fred1 said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

So, you’re saying that it is, in fact, an option? Just one that requires a little extra effort from you? Sorry, that still counts. 

I’m moving on from this thread now. Respond if you will, but I probably won’t ever see it. Cheers!
    At least you admit defeat by leaving the chat. Honesty is good. But in case common sense gets the better of you, and you continue to read posts here, I’ll respond:

You asked for a feature that can’t be turned off. Having to stop the phone from doing this every time by hand doesn’t count as turning it off. Sorry, it doesn’t count. Would you say that you had turned off the lights when you left the house if they turned back on automatically five minutes after you left? 
    edited June 2022
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Japhey said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Japhey said:
    jdgaz said:

That’s also not a feature. 

And the clock? C’mon, you really had to reach deep for that one. And can something that’s included on every single phone, tablet, computer, tv, DVD player, smart watch, etc. really be considered a “feature”? Wouldn’t you agree that a clock is fundamental, or intrinsic, to the system that includes it? I can see that it’s important to you to win this argument, but surely you can do better than the clock, lol. 

As you say, clocks are ubiquitous, so why do I need one staring at me on my iPhone, too?. Maybe I don't want to constantly be reminded of the time on my phone. I should have an option to hide the clock, but I don't. It's a feature, but it's not optional. It's on the lock screen, too. 

When somebody writes something like "Quick, name one feature on the iPhone that isn’t optional. Just one," it really doesn't matter how "deep" one has to reach to find one. And is it actually "deep"? It's right there on the lock screen and the home screen. Anyway a 'non-optional' feature that can be found, no matter how "deep" or obscure, negates the challenger's premise, and I found one. So, you know, boom.

I certainly wouldn't have bothered to take the challenge if you'd simply written something less arrogant, like "Most iPhone features have options, so it seems pretty likely that they'd make the always-on screen optional, because a lot of people like it dark when they're sleeping." I'd have agreed with that. But the jerky ad hominem comment coupled with an arrogantly posed falsifiable challenge? That's like dangling a feather in front of a cat.
    edited June 2022 muthuk_vanalingam