Why do you push USB SSD drive enclosures instead of Thunderbolt?

Posted:
in Feedback
article: Best external hard drives and SSDs for Mac in 2022

Thunderbolt enclosures are not mentioned. This is a consistent (advertising?) ploy. You talk about the best SSDs yet you don't comment on the best SSD enclosures. I've also seen this among certain youtube geeks who complain about the M2 internal drive speed (256GB version) yet use external USB-C drives for testing external drive speed. They complain about internal speed but not about external speed when there is a way to get much faster external speed. If you're going to include HDDs (these should only be used for large storage RAID arrays with plenty of backup where transfer speed is not necessary) you should also include Thunderbolt enclosures with SSDs to make a fair assessment. I would have commented on this article but you're not allowing comments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator
    rob53 said:
    article: Best external hard drives and SSDs for Mac in 2022

Thunderbolt enclosures are not mentioned. This is a consistent (advertising?) ploy. You talk about the best SSDs yet you don't comment on the best SSD enclosures. I've also seen this among certain youtube geeks who complain about the M2 internal drive speed (256GB version) yet use external USB-C drives for testing external drive speed. They complain about internal speed but not about external speed when there is a way to get much faster external speed. If you're going to include HDDs (these should only be used for large storage RAID arrays with plenty of backup where transfer speed is not necessary) you should also include Thunderbolt enclosures with SSDs to make a fair assessment. I would have commented on this article but you're not allowing comments.
    Best != fastest, nor the cheapest. Best for you is not the same as the best for the mass-market. We have done best Thunderbolt enclosures and drives before, and we will do so again -- and this piece is not that.

As a reminder, AppleInsider is for everybody.

Also, If it was an advertisement, it would be listed as an ad. It is not, so therefore, it is not an ad.

This conversation has concluded in the forums. Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions about the topic.
This discussion has been closed.