Apple releases new firmware update for redesigned Siri Remote

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released a new firmware version for its Apple TV Siri Remote, though it isn't clear what the update contains.

Siri Remote
Siri Remote

The firmware update, which brings the software to version 10M1103, is meant for the redesigned Siri Remote released in 2021.

As mentioned, Apple does not state what features or fixes are contained in the new software update. However, given the lack of detail, it's likely that the update is a minor one focused on bug fixes and under-the-hood improvements.

Apple also fails to specify how users can update their Siri Remote, though the process is likely similar to other accessories -- like AirPods -- that carry out the process automatically. In other words, the update will just happen in the background and can't be manually installed.

Apple last updated its Siri Remote firmware in August 2021. The previous version was numbered 9M6772.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    That remote is ugly. I’m sure Apple is still trying to figure out a good design. 
    edited July 2022 darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I miss the play/pause button being bottom left like before. I never use mute, so wish it wasn’t in prime position.

still I guess others will like mute being there…
    darkvaderBeatsstompykurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Beats said:
    That remote is ugly. I’m sure Apple is still trying to figure out a good design. 
    Does your remote work? It’s nice to have first world problems. 
    gilly33Spitbathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    I have the Apple tv remote version before this one and absolutely hate it. Mostly the touch surface which is incredibly finicky. Those that have used both, is this one much better?
    SoundJudgmentmike1
  • Reply 5 of 20
    tyler82 said:
    I have the Apple tv remote version before this one and absolutely hate it. Mostly the touch surface which is incredibly finicky. Those that have used both, is this one much better?
    It is much... MUCH better than the first remote-model. It should have been the one Apple released in the FIRST place!! All the buttons just work better and the button-pushing positive feedback to the fingers work like a proper remote should. NO more finicky behavior. Give it a shot, or go see it at an Apple Store. You'll be sure to want it.
    lollivergregoriusmPetrolDavemike1tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Is there anything you can do with the remote that you can't do by talking to Siri? I'm pretty sure you can get Apple TV to stop playing anything by saying "Hey Siri, [stop/pause/play]."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    Beats said:
    No it's not.
    lollivermike1bloggerbloggilly33watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 20
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    tyler82 said:

It's much worse.  This doesn't even give you a touch surface.

The touch remote isn't ergonomic, but neither is this one.

This one is a step backward.
    Beats
  • Reply 9 of 20
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    darkvader said:
    tyler82 said:

Of course it has a touch surface. Just make sure it is turned on in Settings. 
    lolliverbloggerblogSpitbathFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Mac4macMac4mac Posts: 15member
    The new remote is head and shoulders above the old Siri remote for 3 main reasons:

1. it’s heavier and feels solid. This means it sits firmly in your hand and doesn’t feel like a flimsy toy.
    2. It’s silver rather than black, and so I don’t lose it constantly in my black leather lounge.
    3. The tactile buttons are way more precise. So many times while using Plex, the touchpad remote would misinterpret a down swipe for a side swipe. 

In all, my old Siri remote is lucky it didn’t get thrown out the window! 

I dare say Jony Ive would hate this new design, but this is a win of function over form. 
    The new remote makes using Apple TV joyous again!

darkvader said:
    tyler82 said:

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    darkvader said:
    tyler82 said:

It’s about 3 steps back. I could get really technical but it’s THICKER with less features. Fu**ing ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 397member
    Beats said:
    It’s about 3 steps back. I could get really technical but it’s THICKER with less features. Fu**ing ridiculous.
    The increased thickness IS a feature.
    SpitbathlolliverFileMakerFellerauxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Why is thinness in a remote control especially desirable?  I like the thickness and weight, it feels solid and purposeful.  Features wise, it's better than the older Siri Remote, but far from devoid of frustration.
    muthuk_vanalingamlolliverFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,148member
    So… re the update which is the topic of the article. 

Is it….Snappier?
    mobirdgilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 433member
    tyler82 said:
    Yes in my opinion it’s better. Also less easier to get lost. 
    Spitbathlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    Beats said:
    darkvader said:
    tyler82 said:

Less features?! You are joking, right? This remote is awesome and works very well.
    Spitbathlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    mike1 said:
    Beats said:
    darkvader said:
    tyler82 said:

Less features?! You are joking, right? This remote is awesome and works very well.
    It no longer has an accelerometer because Apple cheaped out on a $1 chip. Which means a real controller is pretty much mandatory to play almost all of the AA games (and others); a separate purchase to what is already an expensive device. Other than that I find it to be pretty good generally. Siri is of course pointless, as usual.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,714member
    tyler82 said:
    Definitely better.  The old one slipped out of my hands a lot (nobody should have to put a case on a remote for grip) whereas this one doesn't.  The touch surface on the old one was nice, but using the wheel isn't bad, and it works great as a jog control to scroll/scrub through a video.  My biggest beef with this one is that I inadvertently press the Siri button a lot when I pick it up since the button is on the side.  They should have put that button on the face.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    To the subject at hand. How the heck do you update this dang thing? My current version begins with 0. Help me somebody? Help me?
    edited July 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Don’t bother. I figured it out. Plugged in the remote and under remote ‘device information’ it updated from 0x0061 to 0x0070. 
    watto_cobra