Apple working on 'extreme sports' Apple Watch with bigger screen, rugged case

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2022
Apple is reportedly developing a new Apple Watch model with a larger display and a more rugged metal casing aimed at the extreme sports market.

Apple Watch Series 8 render
Apple Watch Series 8 render

The new Apple Watch will get a screen that measures nearly two inches on the diagonal, amounting to 7% more display area than current Apple wearables, Bloomberg reported Wednesday.

It will use a stronger metal material than aluminum, though it isn't clear what specific metal it'll use. Its more rugged design will also include a larger battery and a display with increased shatter resistance. Despite the bigger size, the Apple Watch won't be a "50mm" model, since that measurement refers to the case height and not the screen size.

Bloomberg reports that the extreme sports model will be released alongside a standard Apple Watch Series 8 that'll retain its 1.9-inch diagonal screen size. An update to the entry-level Apple Watch SE will stick with its current screen size of 1.78 inches.

This is not the first time that the publication has reported rumors of an extreme sports Apple Watch. However, a prior forecast indicating that the new model could debut in 2021 ultimately didn't pan out.

All new Apple Watch models in 2022 will receive an updated S8 processor that's said to have similar performance to the S7 chip. The rugged variant and the standard Apple Watch Series 8 will also receive the ability to read a user's body temperature to detect fever, along with other health and fitness updates.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    By “extreme sports” do they mean to include runners and bikers?  Or do they mean ice climbers and ultra-marathoners and the like?
    the latter is what I think of when discussing extreme sports, but the former makes more sense if Apple wants to make a profit selling this thing.
    CluntBaby92lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 7
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...might waterproofing for higher impact environments like waterskiing be part of the program...?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    JP234 said:
    This is Apple's specialty! Produce expensive, exquisitely made things we don't need, and didn't even know we wanted. And inform us how much we need and want them! And how bad we need or want the latest iteration of them, and right now!

Don't get me wrong. I worked for an Apple VAR for 12 years, And between my wife and I, we own 2 MacBook pros and an Air, a Mac Mini, two iPads, two iPhones, two Airpods Pro, an Apple Watch series 6, and an Apple Watch series 7. Oh, and two 2021 Apple TV's (and two out of date ones gathering dust). I would NEVER buy an Android, Google or Windows version of any of them. I also subscribe to Apple TV+, iCloud+ and Apple Music. Considering a HomePod Mini for a HomeKit server.

The single source solution for hardware, systems and applications makes everything work together seamlessly. And the Apple Design team is the best in the world. Comparing an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy is like comparing an Audi A6 to a Camry.
    Righhhhhhhhhht. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    How about just selling the guts, but offering different cases they snap into, same business model as bands. Going out? Snap the guts into the Rolex or Cartier shell. Going trekking? Into the tactical shell. 
    marklark
  • Reply 5 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    This is Apple's specialty! Produce expensive, exquisitely made things we don't need, and didn't even know we wanted. And inform us how much we need and want them! And how bad we need or want the latest iteration of them, and right now!

Don't get me wrong. I worked for an Apple VAR for 12 years, And between my wife and I, we own 2 MacBook pros and an Air, a Mac Mini, two iPads, two iPhones, two Airpods Pro, an Apple Watch series 6, and an Apple Watch series 7. Oh, and two 2021 Apple TV's (and two out of date ones gathering dust). I would NEVER buy an Android, Google or Windows version of any of them. I also subscribe to Apple TV+, iCloud+ and Apple Music. Considering a HomePod Mini for a HomeKit server.

The single source solution for hardware, systems and applications makes everything work together seamlessly. And the Apple Design team is the best in the world. Comparing an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy is like comparing an Audi A6 to a Camry.
    As someone who has owned a few Camry’s in his lifetime, and an even longer list of Apple gear…I say bullshit. It’s a ridiculous comparison. Ford? Maybe. Kia? Definitely. The reason there are so many Camry’s on the road isn’t because they are cheap pieces of crap that people just get because they can afford them. It’s because they are reliable, well-made and hardly ever break down. Who does that remind you of? 

Just no. 
    ronn
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    How about just selling the guts, but offering different cases they snap into, same business model as bands. Going out? Snap the guts into the Rolex or Cartier shell. Going trekking? Into the tactical shell. 
    Yeah like that would ever happen, or should. Then there's the fact that neither Rolex or Cartier would ever license their trademark to some "shell maker" let alone make something theirselves.

That's an even worse idea than allowing third-parties to sell watch faces in the App Store.