M2 MacBook Air shipping dates instantly started slipping

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2022
Within minutes of Apple opening preorders for the new M2 MacBook Air, shipping dates slipped back from one week to between July 18 and July 25, 2022 -- and it will only get worse.

Of the two new M2-based Macs unveiled at WWDC 2022, the MacBook Air received the most attention -- and appears to have now received the most preorders. Originally billed as shipping by Friday, July 15, 2022, a stock M2 MacBook Air ordered now will not arrive before Monday, July 18.

However, adding any build to order customization changes that, whether with extra SSD storage space or even having software preinstalled. A maxed-out M2 MacBook Air can still be ordered today, but Apple estimates shipping as between August 2 and August 9, 2022.

Stock configurations should be available at retail on July 15.

The other Mac unveiled at WWDC, the 13-inch MacBook Pro, went on preorder on June 17, 2022. There were some oddities with various configurations initially listed as unavailable, but it did not seem to experience the same shipping delays as other recent Apple launches.

Base versions of the 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 are currently in stock.

The reason for the difference is that the 13-inch MacBook Pro, even with its new M2 processor, is seen as only a slight update to the previous model. The new M2 MacBook Air, though, has had a complete redesign which is expected to improve its ventilation.

That in turn means that the MacBook Air should be able to run processor-intensive tasks for longer than the previous model. This, combined with the MacBook Air's fractionally larger screen but noticeably lower price, means it's arguably the sweet spot in Apple's new range.

The new M2 MacBook Air also features more ports than the 13-inch MacBook Pro, plus MagSafe, a screen notch and a 1080p webcam. Prices start from $1,199. Be sure to bookmark our M2 MacBook Air deals roundup to find ways to save on the new notebooks.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    There's been a lot of coverage of the M2 Air vs the M2 MBP, but if you're customizing the M2 Air at all, the more interesting comparison quickly becomes the MBP 14". The higher spec'd stock M2 Air, plus a bump to 16GB of memory, brings the cost to $1699. For an additional $300, the base MBP 14" is a signficantly better laptop in almost every way: Faster chip, better graphics, bigger and better XDR display, better cooling system, an extra TB port, HDMI and SD ports, longer lasting battery--that's a whole lot of "better" for $300, with the only real downside being the weight. 
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    charlesn said:
    There's been a lot of coverage of the M2 Air vs the M2 MBP, but if you're customizing the M2 Air at all, the more interesting comparison quickly becomes the MBP 14". The higher spec'd stock M2 Air, plus a bump to 16GB of memory, brings the cost to $1699. For an additional $300, the base MBP 14" is a signficantly better laptop in almost every way: Faster chip, better graphics, bigger and better XDR display, better cooling system, an extra TB port, HDMI and SD ports, longer lasting battery--that's a whole lot of "better" for $300, with the only real downside being the weight. 
    Agree 100%, and even better, the MBP 14 is often on sale for $1799, making it a $100 difference.  But there are some in other forums that argue the M2 Air is worth maxing out because it is fan-less and 1 pound lighter.  I've never heard the fan on my 14, except when I run a benchmark test.  Other than that, completely silent.  To each their own, I guess.
    edited July 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MBA M2 for me over the MBP 14, price differences are starker in countries that aren’t the US, plus I want fan less and the lowest weight. 
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Agree 100%, and even better, the MBP 14 is often on sale for $1799, making it a $100 difference.  But there are some in other forums that argue the M2 Air is worth maxing out because it is fan-less and 1 pound lighter.  I've never heard the fan on my 14, except when I run a benchmark test.  Other than that, completely silent.  To each their own, I guess.
    Actually it’s 0.3 pound lighter. (2.7 vs. 3.0 pounds)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    fred1 said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Actually it’s 0.3 pound lighter. (2.7 vs. 3.0 pounds)
    I think he was referring to the 14” which is 3.5 pounds 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    No need to defend M2 MBP against M2 MBA. For those who hate touch-bar; they will jump on M2 MBA as better alternative. Moreover, let's say from general population, out of 1000 Macbook users; how many % you think need high performance computing laptop ? For years, people were buying 13.3" MBP because there was no alternative or choice at size/price but with M2 MBA; it has changed completely.
    So, soon as M2 MBA becomes available on display at Apple, BestBuy, Costco, etc to check it out; that shipping dates will keep slipping more. Hope, Apple's supply chain is equipped with the high demand.
    edited July 2022