YouTube rolls out Picture-in-Picture feature for iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in General Discussion
Those with iPhones and iPads will now be able to watch YouTube videos while browsing other apps -- but there's one caveat.

Announced on Monday, YouTube will begin rolling out its Picture-in-Picture (PiP) feature to iPhones and iPads over the next several days.

The feature will be available for devices running iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 and allows users to watch YouTube content outside of the app in a movable window.

However, there is a caveat. Non-premium members will have access to the feature for non-music content.

If you want to use it to access music on YouTube, you'll need to subscribe to YouTube Premium. YouTube explains how to access the feature:

"Globally, all Premium members on iPhone and iPad will have access to PiP for all content, (both music and non-music). To turn on the feature, go to Settings > General in your YouTube app and turn-on Picture-in-picture."

If a user doesn't toggle on the feature, the music will continue playing in the background without popping up a PiP window.

To use Picture-in-Picture, go to a YouTube video and begin playing it. Then, leave the app by swiping up from the bottom of the screen or pressing the home button. PiP windows are movable, allowing you to place them wherever you want.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    peterhartpeterhart Posts: 157member
    What does “accessing music on YouTube” mean? I use YouTube to watch cat videos and fail videos. Even Google’s own explanation isn’t clear to me… 
    Anilu_777StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 13
    YouTube Premium is too expensive for the price Google is charging I can pay for Apple TV+ and Disney+ I just use Video Lite from the App Store.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 13
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    peterhart said:
    What does “accessing music on YouTube” mean? I use YouTube to watch cat videos and fail videos. Even Google’s own explanation isn’t clear to me… 

YouTube is the go-to place for music for large numbers of people, particularly younger folks and those from Asian countries, such as the Philippines. It's seen as a free-for-all source of songs, compilations, and lyrics. YouTube has been injecting more and more ads into the streams, lowering the quality of the experience, but they don't care as long as it's "free".
    Anilu_777geekmee
  • Reply 4 of 13
    PancakePancake Posts: 42member
    My app is up to date but this isn’t forking for me. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Seems like it would be a distraction…. Why would somebody want to watch a video to be distracted by another one at same time?  Not getting it.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    However, there is a caveat. Non-premium members will have access to the feature for non-music content.
    Read on AppleInsider
    About bloody time! I know many people use YouTube essentially as a substitute for a music streaming service but if I want music I'll use Apple Music or Spotify. 
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Both MKB and Brandon butch doing videos on iOS 16 counted as music and therefore can’t be used in PiP so basically they gave us nothing
  • Reply 8 of 13
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Pancake said:
    My app is up to date but this isn’t forking for me. 
    From the article: “ Announced on Monday, YouTube will begin rolling out its Picture-in-Picture (PiP) feature to iPhones and iPads over the next several days.”
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 527member
    Both MKB and Brandon butch doing videos on iOS 16 counted as music and therefore can’t be used in PiP so basically they gave us nothing
    That’s crazy. And some videos have some music part-way in for drama and then on to the talking part. That’s not a music video
  • Reply 10 of 13
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    YouTube have a premium Music service 40-50 million subs. Not related to their video streaming product
  • Reply 11 of 13
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    The fact that they're trying to monetize PIP this granularly ... Who "watches" music anyway?
    I'll never get so many people's desire to be outside their house but stuck on their phone. And these companies like YouTube, Tiktok, etc. have no legal or regulatory incentive NOT to encourage this behavior, and then charge money for people to stay glued to their own screens even longer!
    edited July 2022
  • Reply 12 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    It's flagging almost every video as music, super annoying
  • Reply 13 of 13
    It’s now been a week and I’m still not seeing it.