Apple launches Apple Music Sessions with highlight on Spatial Audio

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2022
Apple Music has introduced its new live Apple Music Sessions, beginning with performances from Carrie Underwood and Tenille Townes.

Apple Music Sessions see artists performing a short selection of tracks, typically from their own hits plus covers of personal favorites. Each one is recorded in Spatial Audio. and is also presented in video.

The intention is that the Spatial Audio and "companion live performance music videos" will be recorded in Apple Music's studios around the world. The initial two artists, Carrie Underwood and Tenille Townes, were both recorded in Apple Music's new studios in Nashville, Tennessee.

"Being in the studio with Apple Music was such an incredible experience," said Carrie Underwood in a statement, "and I'm excited to share these unique, stripped-down versions of three songs I love with my fans."

Her songs were her own "Ghost Story," and "Blown Away," plus a cover of Ozzy Osbourne's "Mama, I'm Coming Home."

"I have always been an Ozzy Osbourne fan and Mama, I'm Coming Home' is one of my all-time favorite songs," Underwood continued. "I've always thought it felt a lot like a country song, and I've wanted to cover it for a long time."

"This was a really fun opportunity for me to be able to finally make that happen," she said. "I hope we've done Ozzy proud and I hope he likes it."

For her Apple Music Session, Tenille Townes performed her own "Same Road Home," and "Somebody's Daughter." She also covered Etta James's "At Last."

"It was so cool capturing the spirit of how it feels to play my songs live with my band during the Apple Music Sessions performance," said Tenille Townes. "The new space feels like it's going to become an anchor for our music community in Nashville, and it was an honor to be a part of breaking it in."

"'At Last' is a song that sets the bar to me as a writer and a singer," she continued. "I've never recorded a version of it before, and I loved getting to include it in my Apple Music Sessions."

Apple has announced that future artists will include Ronnie Dunn and Ingrid Andress, plus more country artists. The company plans to expand Apple Music Sessions into other genres, too.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I don't think that Apple actually owns any recording studio in Nashville, TN. There is a recording studio in Nashville called Palette Music Studio Productions that is "certified" by Apple. "Certified Apple Digital Masters Mastering House, Approved by Apple, Inc. I believe Apple just contracts with the studio.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    mobird said:
    I don't think that Apple actually owns any recording studio in Nashville, TN. There is a recording studio in Nashville called Palette Music Studio Productions that is "certified" by Apple. "Certified Apple Digital Masters Mastering House, Approved by Apple, Inc. I believe Apple just contracts with the studio.
    From 2018...

"Apple Music has signed a lease at the May Hosiery complex in Nashville’s Wedgewood-Houston area, the Nashville Business Journal reports. The streaming service plans to open a content creation office in the two-story building at 431 Chestnut Street. The building will house nearly 25,000 square-feet of office space, as well as an outdoor event space."

https://musicrow.com/2018/12/apple-music-content-creation-office-set-for-nashvilles-wedgewood-houston/
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Spitbath said:
    From 2018...

"Apple Music has signed a lease at the May Hosiery complex in Nashville’s Wedgewood-Houston area, the Nashville Business Journal reports. The streaming service plans to open a content creation office in the two-story building at 431 Chestnut Street. The building will house nearly 25,000 square-feet of office space, as well as an outdoor event space."

https://musicrow.com/2018/12/apple-music-content-creation-office-set-for-nashvilles-wedgewood-houston/
    I believe this is office space, not a recording facility.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    mobird said:
    Spitbath said:
    From 2018...

I believe this is office space, not a recording facility.
    So, Mr. "I Believe" ... you don't think an office can also have studio space and vice-versa? An Apple Music "content creation office" with an "outdoor event space" sure sounds like it's intended for recording and live performances. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    Reminds me of the glorious days of "Quad"...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes, there is an Apple recording studio
    Spitbath
  • Reply 7 of 7
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    My favorite part about Apple Music is how it goes to such lengths to champion unknown artists, and not just consistently, at every possible opportunity, those represented by one of the big four record companies. Because that would be boring and milquetoast, which of course doesn't describe Apple these days at all.

Sometimes I feel like there's a whole bunch of people over at Apple Music who genuinely and without irony miss the days of Top 40 radio payola.
    edited July 2022