Rugged 'Apple Watch Pro' could have an upgraded titanium design

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2022
The rumored "Pro" version of the Apple Watch Series 8 could have an all-new design, without moving too far away from the existing shape.

Apple's next generation of Apple Watch releases is rumored to include an Apple Watch Pro, a rugged model intended for sports and activities. It is now thought that the model will not only be a larger variant of the wearable device, but it could also majorly refresh the appearance.

The new high-end model will be a lot larger than normal, sources tell Mark Gurman in his "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg. It could end up being "big enough that it might only appeal to a subset of customers."

Gurman goes on to reiterate a previous rumor that its screen will be 7% bigger than the current Apple Watch Series 7 models, and that it will also have "a fresh look." this will apparently be "the first time the company has introduced a new Apple Watch design since 2018."

That design will reportedly be "an evolution of the current rectangular shape, and not circular." The design will also avoid having "rumored flat sides," and it will use a "more durable formulation of titanium to make it extra rugged."

Previous rumors point to the model potentially costing consumers around $900, as well as including longer battery life, and a body temperature sensor.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    "Rugged"...and I'll call this right now. If Apple does release this and say anything about how durable it is, people will try and dispute it with stupid test after stupid test just to try and say Apple is wrong. 
    kelemor9secondkox2watto_cobratht
  • Reply 2 of 12
    kelemorkelemor Posts: 29member
    macxpress said:
    "Rugged"...and I'll call this right now. If Apple does release this and say anything about how durable it is, people will try and dispute it with stupid test after stupid test just to try and say Apple is wrong. 
    That’s how they make money on youtube
    9secondkox2williamlondonwatto_cobrathtsconosciuto
  • Reply 3 of 12
    TJJTJJ Posts: 14member
    This sounds exciting! Titanium, Ruggedness, still the ability to make and take phone calls, texts, better battery life, etc.. I’m in!! If somehow Apple were able to match the battery life of Garmin and Suunto, and have all of the current features, it would be the ultimate watch!
    watto_cobrasconosciutosireofseth
  • Reply 4 of 12
    TJJTJJ Posts: 14member
    This aside from the article on the new Apple Watch, I would like to acknowledge AppleInsider and everyone responsible for running and maintaining the App and website. Great job and quality!! You are my go to for Apple information and updates! Thank you for doing the research and gathering information for all of the Apple lovers in the world. Thank you for keeping us updated on the latest news.  
    h4y3sright_said_fredappleinsideruserwatto_cobrasconosciuto
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    macxpress said:
    I paraphrase a bit, but I think in business school, one is warned not to bring products' limitations or shortcomings to the attention of consumers. See e.g. "New Coke" or "expiration/ best before" dates. So...you're telling me the previous versions of the Apple Watch aren't rugged? They don't last and aren't for sports activities? What's with all these rings and workout things on them since day one when *you knew this thing could break* and now you want me to pay more for a fixed version? 

I still remember the $14,000 Gold Edition initial Apple Watch. Wonder where all those are right now. Durable?

edited July 2022 watto_cobrasconosciuto
  • Reply 6 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,702member
    TJJ said:
    This sounds exciting! Titanium, Ruggedness, still the ability to make and take phone calls, texts, better battery life, etc.. I’m in!! If somehow Apple were able to match the battery life of Garmin and Suunto, and have all of the current features, it would be the ultimate watch!
    If titanium, the reception will suffer slightly. 
    But ruggedness will increase. 

A “pro” nomenclature would not really fit a watch. But something like “active” or “extreme” or “titanium” would be great. 

Personally, calling it the Apple Watch Titanium sounds awesome. It signifies how tough it is, sounds cool, and let’s you know what it is. 

Too bad they call the cheap watch “sport” as that also would fit this product. 

But “titanium” sounds better and describes not only the materials but the durability. 

They can announce it with Sia in the background on a piano. tee hee! 
    edited July 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The Apple SUW
    jellybelly
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dymmasdymmas Posts: 33member
    If it can’t be operated properly if the screen is wet or when the user has gloves on, then its usability in the wild will not be better than the current models. 

I can do everything on my Fenix with fat mitts on through buttons. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Wish they first made a watch you can actually get in the water with longer than a year, first. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I am eager to see what this looks like. I've wanted an AW for quite a while, this might be what pushes me over the edge to actually make the purchase, even if expen$ive.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    AI_lias said:
    Wish they first made a watch you can actually get in the water with longer than a year, first. 
    They have done. For ages - since Series 2, I think. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    TJJ said:
    That would be so cool. Definitely would be the ultimate watch - especially with the necessary defeat of physics to accomplish such a feat.