China restricts Foxconn operations during temporary COVID measures

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2022
The Chinese authorities have ordered iPhone assembler Foxconn to operate under a tightly restricted "closed loop" system for a week in the latest attempts to combat the coronavirus.

Foxconn plant
Foxconn plant

China's latest move is much smaller-scale than its previous region-wide coronavirus lockdowns, which dramatically affected very many Apple suppliers. According to Bloomberg, Foxconn is one of 100 companies in the Shenzen area subjected to new restrictions for seven days.

Specifically, the "closed loop" restriction requires the companies to limit staffing to only those workers already living within a bubble. Factory workers are required to have little or no contact with anyone outside their immediate working area.

Chinese authorities also require the companies to minimize the contact between factory floor staff and other workers.

A Foxconn spokesperson told Bloomberg that its Shenzen operations "remained normal." Other companies, which declined to comment, include Huawei Technologies Co, ZTE Corp, and drone-maker DJI.

Foxconn initially escaped China's lockdowns in April 2022. However, the expected short-term COVID prevention measures then continued for some many weeks.

The restrictions come as Foxconn continues to ramp up production and staffing ahead of Apple's iPhone 14 launch.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    anoyllaanoylla Posts: 39member
    They are completely ridiculous there in the Chinese government.  This is nothing more than political means of pressure
  • Reply 2 of 7
    This is what authoritarian governments do . . . to keep fear, disruption, isolation, and panic going around the world. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Let’s call this what it is — Martial Law. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    The comments so far in this thread give light to the uninformed Western mentality — that COVID is no longer a concern (or never was?). They fail to realize that COVID is still very much a risk, and because of China's earlier handling, they avoided much of the mass infections, so now they are far more vulnerable.

Yes, I'm in Canada, triple-vaxxed, so no, I'm not judging from afar.  :D
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 7
    "minimize the contact between factory floor staff and other workers" - so, the executives and the janitorial staff are still free to rub elbows?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    The comments so far in this thread give light to the uninformed Western mentality — that COVID is no longer a concern (or never was?). They fail to realize that COVID is still very much a risk, and because of China's earlier handling, they avoided much of the mass infections, so now they are far more vulnerable.

Covid is nothing and to treat it like cancer or worse like China is doing is dumb beyond belief, and those who still buys that shit needs a head replacement.

only Triple vaxxed? Not enough! You need to be  vaxxed daily ! Go forbid you catch the Covid cold!!!!

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 7

Cv has an IFR (Infection Fatality Rate) of a bad flu. I encourage you to check out scientists and doctors worldwide who have questioned The Science™ and arrived at different conclusions than those who’ve received approval by the governments and mainstream media. 

Let’s trust our immune systems, realize that risk is a normal part of life, and make the most of life’s opportunities.