Updated Firefox 103 adds improvements for ProMotion displays, Mac performance

Posted:
in General Discussion
Firefox 103 addresses two particular issues for macOS, with a boost to overall performance, and specific improvements for high-refresh rate displays found on the 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Currently only the 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro have ProMotion displays. But these can run at up to 120MHz, and previous versions of Firefox have not correctly rendered sites when the display was on its fastest refresh rate.

Mozilla notes that the new Firefox 103.0 features "improved performance on high-refresh rate monitors (120Hz+)." It also has a more general improved, " responsiveness on macOS during periods of high CPU load by switching to a modern lock API."

Other fixes in Firefox 103.0 include keyboard controls to let users select buttons in the tabs toolbar. When a PDF form is rendered in Firefox, it will now highlight required fields.

"Enjoying Picture-in-Picture subtitles feature?" continues Mozilla. "It just got better: you can now change subtitles font size directly from the PiP window."

Firefox 103.0 also includes assorted security and other fixes. It is now available to download for free for the Mac.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ciacia Posts: 252member
     I hop between Safari and Firefox.   Firefox is my sandbox browser.  Set to delete all cookies at close, JS disabled, and only open when my VPN is active.  It does nicely for general browsing when I don't want advertiser cookies following me around all over.

bandits1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    huzzamhuzzam Posts: 1member
    JP234 said:
    Does anyone still use FireFox?

absolutely. it's the strongest browser for privacy, especially when paired with the ublock origin extension. chrome is a disaster. safari is better, but its extension landscape is vastly inferior.
    bandits1dewmecharlesatlaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    huzzam said:
    JP234 said:
    Does anyone still use FireFox?

absolutely. it's the strongest browser for privacy, especially when paired with the ublock origin extension. chrome is a disaster. safari is better, but its extension landscape is vastly inferior.

100% agreed. People who love Safari are happy with just basic functionality, but I'm not. One thing I really hate about Safari is webarchive. Being proprietary to Apple, I can't save any web pages with any hope of them opening in any other web browsers. I install the SingleFile extension on all of my other browsers and get HTML files that will display anywhere. I can even email those to friends without worrying about whether they can open them.