AirTag catches airport baggage handler stealing luggage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2022
Apple's AirTag has helped police arrest a baggage handler who stole luggage from passengers at an airport, as well as the recovery of more than $15,000 in jewelry and other items.

via Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office
via Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office

On August 11, the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office revealed it had conducted an investigation into suspicious activity at the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport. The sheriff's Airport Security Unit were alerted to thefts relating to stolen luggage handled by an employee.

Airline subcontractor Giovanni De Luca faces two counts of grand theft, the Sheriff's Office states.

The investigation started in July, after a traveller discovered her luggage hadn't arrived at her destination. The luggage, containing items worth more than $1,600, had gone missing during transit.

As the traveller had placed an AirTag in her suitcase, she had a record of its travels, and that it was last active in the area of Kathy Court in Mary Esther. Police cross-referenced employees who lived in the area, and discovered De Luca.

After meeting De Luca at his home, the suspect admitted to rummaging through the passenger's suitcase for items, and removing the AirTag.

While the items taken from the AirTag owner's suitcase weren't able to be recovered by investigators, they were able to retrieve items from another stolen suitcase. Another traveller reported they had lost jewelry and other items worth more than $15,000 on August 9.

"This arrest is an example of excellent teamwork by our Airport Security unit, our investigators, and the airport to find the person responsible for these thefts and make sure he is held responsible," said Sheriff Eric Aden.

While AirTag has been caught up in some unsavory activities, the accessory is intended as a force for good, helping people keep track of their stuff. This includes helping police track down a stolen SUV in Memphis in July, and discovering the location of luggage lost within an airport.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Who puts 15K of jewellery in the hold ?
    Vermelho
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I’m sure that’s a total amount of numerous stolen pieces of jewelry that he had stolen not just one person’s 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    I’m sure that’s a total amount of numerous stolen pieces of jewelry that he had stolen not just one person’s 
    The article does say, "Another traveller reported they had lost jewelry and other items worth more than $15,000 on August 9," so it does sound like a single person, although I'm guessing that the amount was probably inflated for what they want to get reimbursed for from the airline, not the actual value of the jewelry.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    AirTags on my luggage saved me from missing my connecting flight when one of the bags were flown on a different plane and was sitting around in another area of the airport with zero notice from the airline.  My friends saw it in action and they too became AirTag owners after seeing what could happen.

Thank you Apple.
    lolliverluke hamblywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    AirTags have quickly become the must have travel accessory everyone must have for the luggage. If you go on YouTube and watch any packing recommendation videos they all highly suggest AirTags. We use aluminum luggage so I got steel luggage tab cables with some heavy duty AirTag cases to hang them from our bags. We’ll see how well they hold up.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    This arrest is an example of excellent teamwork by our Airport Security unit, our investigators, and the airport to find the person responsible…”

The glaring omission here—and the ONLY reason they were able to successfully track down & arrest this idiot—is the AirTag. 
    Xed