Apple released the iMac 26 years ago and it's better than ever

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    I would love a more sustainable iMac where I can slide in the computer inside the monitor, inside a crevice of some kind. 

This way the computer doesn’t become waste when the monitor fails and vice versa, and I can upgrade over time. 

I know this sounds weird but I feel Apple hasn’t really innovated on true sustainability on a hardware level. 

watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 47
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,651member
    I would love a more sustainable iMac where I can slide in the computer inside the monitor, inside a crevice of some kind. 

This way the computer doesn’t become waste when the monitor fails and vice versa, and I can upgrade over time. 

I know this sounds weird but I feel Apple hasn’t really innovated on true sustainability on a hardware level. 

If the Mac mini form factor is reduced to the size of an Apple TV or base level Intel NUC, or smaller, users will effectively be able to put a system together that closely matches what you’re describing - but better. Any slot/crevice design that Apple would come up with would be proprietary to Apple which would lock you into their components alone to form the working pair. Apple has already given up the ability to use the iMac screen by itself.

Using a Mac mini, or Mac micro as some have hinted at, that has HDMI or Thunderbolt (as all current Mac minis do) gives the user a vast choice of monitors to pair with their Mac. This approach can already be done using the current Mac mini and third party mounts that place the Mac mini behind the screen on any monitor with VESA mount, under the desk, or on the wall.  
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 43 of 47
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,038member
    charlesn said:
    Vader, I always look forward to your fact-free fiction! Your posts can be counted upon to give me the biggest laughs of the day. Thank you for that!
    Just FYI - He was banned by AI many months ago. You are replying to a post from him which is one year old.
    Thanks for the FYI! Apple Insider certainly fooled me! Here I was thinking that a lead feature story in 2024 was fresh content and not a repost from 2 years ago. 
  • Reply 44 of 47
    doggonedoggone Posts: 396member
    Dead_Pool said:
    Many have no idea how close Apple was to going under when the iMac was released. There was virtually no chance it would survive in the face of the onslaught by industry-standard Windows, which had finally been able to copy the Mac’s ease of use after more than a decade of trying. Today, Apple is arguably the most powerful company to ever exist. Truly unbelievable, and all thanks to one man: Steve Jobs. 
    Agreed.  The iMac saved Apple.  Also to some extent so did the G3 processor.  It was much faster than its predecessors and helped Apple claw its way back into the market.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 45 of 47
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,005member
    Can’t wait for a new iMac that offers the same benefits as the previous gen iMac 5k. 

As much power as you can fit, as much ram as possible, as nice a screen as possible, and a truly minimalist aesthetic from a -x: no brick hanging off the back off it, unceremoniously plopping on the floor, a nice monotone color scheme, no plastic front fascia, etc. even removal of the chin entirely would be s great move. 

Basically rework the Mac Studio into a larger surface area and spread it out. 

The small iMac can be the Mac mini alternative  and the large iMac can be the Mac Studio alternative - or even replace the Mac Studio outright. 

The iMac is the true Mac - especially now that apple makes all its own hardware. It’s one integrated system.  

macike
  • Reply 46 of 47
    All great but when will the M4 27 inch iMac be released? 
  • Reply 47 of 47
    dewme said:

If the Mac mini form factor is reduced to the size of an Apple TV or base level Intel NUC, or smaller, users will effectively be able to put a system together that closely matches what you’re describing - but better. Any slot/crevice design that Apple would come up with would be proprietary to Apple which would lock you into their components alone to form the working pair. Apple has already given up the ability to use the iMac screen by itself.

Using a Mac mini, or Mac micro as some have hinted at, that has HDMI or Thunderbolt (as all current Mac minis do) gives the user a vast choice of monitors to pair with their Mac. This approach can already be done using the current Mac mini and third party mounts that place the Mac mini behind the screen on any monitor with VESA mount, under the desk, or on the wall.  
    That’s a good point. I was still thinking with the iMac design requirements in mind. Perhaps it could be that in your suggestion Apple simply releases their own monitor in colors including the ports and webcam, and that Mac Minis come in a similar color range. It would not feel as integrated as the iMac, but worth the trade-off.