Seven years later, Apple was right to kill off the 3.5mm headphone jack

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Rubbish article written by someone who has no desire for audio quality. Seven years after Apple killed the 3.5mm jack, have they put in a high quality codec for Bluetooth connection? And if you just simply take a walk on the street, many people are still using cabled earplugs or headsets for the simplicity and light weight. Removing the headphone jack is just another for Apple to squeeze money through the Lightning-3.5mm adapter.
    baconstangavon b7AI_lias
  • Reply 42 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    “At the time, Apple justified the removal of the headphone jack by saying that Lightning was an overall better standard for audio. It added that removing the single-use port also freed up internal space for larger or additional components“

no, At the time Apple said they were getting rid of the headphone jack because it was obsolete (it’s not. If it was obsolete then, why do they still include it on new computers today?) Yhey also argued that they needed to remove it for water resistance. Except there were plenty of phones that were water resistant but still had the jack, so that was a lie. 

Tim Cook tried to boast courage, but he Didn’t have enough courage to tell the truth. 

I still miss the simplicity of wired headphones. You plug them in and they work. You know what device they’re connected to. No randomly switching devices. No dead batteries. No pairing. They just work. 

For all the people saying the headphone jack is old and is therefore obsolete, does your car have a steering wheel? Do you still use a keyboard?
    edited August 2022 baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamAI_lias
  • Reply 43 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    charlesn said:
    And the benefit of losing the jack is that it opened the door to AirPods and all the innovation we've seen in wireless listening from nearly every major audio company. 
    This was happening anyway.  Apple announced AirPods at the same event where they killed the headphone jack on iPhones.  No doors were opened.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 44 of 65
    crowley said:
    charlesn said:
    And the benefit of losing the jack is that it opened the door to AirPods and all the innovation we've seen in wireless listening from nearly every major audio company. 
    This was happening anyway.  Apple announced AirPods at the same event where they killed the headphone jack on iPhones.  No doors were opened.
    Exactly. The only ‘benefit’ was a benefit to apple that could then push $200 Bluetooth headphones as a solution the the problem it created. 
    baconstangAI_liasmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 65
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 436member
    For all the slick marketing about recycling and eco stuff coming from Apple, pushing the Airpods with no replaceable battery was not cool. Removing the 3.5 audio port was a mistake, which they could afford to make because they were the gorilla in the industry, and we customers had no choice but to accept, grumble and keep buying their stuff. Same mistake as when they did away with USB-A, which is so pervasive even now. That was another mistake. And another one is to carefully cripple stuff to make people spend more money than they need to (ex. Macbook Air not supporting dual external monitors so less people use it for pro applications, even if it has the power to serve as a pro machine for many use cases). So, you have to take Apple's word and marketing bullshit with a big grain of salt. They do enough good things to keep you in, but barely, and they take full advantage of that loyal relationship they have with you.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Bluetooth is a standard which any manufacturer can do. Apple simply pushed people towards the standard which already had products by other manufacturers. Yes Apple made its own products work better over the standard, however regular Bluetooth devices still connect as well as they ever did. Sorry but the Bluetooth devices we have tried, have sucked. The Apple devices connect easier, better audio and work at longer distances. Apple innovated. I have yet to see any Bluetooth device that has a replaceable battery. 
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Bluetooth is a standard which any manufacturer can do. Apple simply pushed people towards the standard which already had products by other manufacturers. Yes Apple made its own products work better over the standard, however regular Bluetooth devices still connect as well as they ever did. Sorry but the Bluetooth devices we have tried, have sucked. The Apple devices connect easier, better audio and work at longer distances. Apple innovated.
    My AirPods routinely either connect when I don’t want them to or don’t connect when I do want them to and I often find myself longing for a 3.5mm plug that I can just plug in and know it’s connected. Connecting AirPods to non-Apple devices is also a pain. They’ll connect and then disconnect when my iPhone steals the connection back. 

I have yet to see any Bluetooth device that has a replaceable battery. 

iPhone. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 65
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    From a pocket transistor radio in the 70s, through the Walkman cassette player era, then iPod, and onto the dumb then smart phone eras, the 3.5mm port was invariably the initial point of failure for all the devices I owned since I was 12.  It's easy to see why.  The electrical contacts in the socket depended on spring loaded pressure to maintain a tight connection with the jack.  That spring eventually loosens up, especially if you use the earphones constantly with the device in your pocket where the exposed end of the jack is subject to lateral forces that make it rock back and forth while plugged in (and thus constantly flexing the spring loaded contacts).  So it starts with signal cutting in and out as the electrical contact loosens until eventually there's no connection at all.  Thus, a device that is otherwise in perfect order becomes useless because one of its cheapest components broke.  Good riddance on the 3.5 mm jack.
    edited August 2022 Fidonet127ronn
  • Reply 49 of 65
    No Mike. The first Samsung Flagship to "kill the 3.5mm jack" was not the Galaxy S20. The Galaxy Note 10 was there just right before it. Always remember to fact check properly before posting ;)
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 50 of 65
    MplsP said:
    “At the time, Apple justified the removal of the headphone jack by saying that Lightning was an overall better standard for audio. It added that removing the single-use port also freed up internal space for larger or additional components“

no, At the time Apple said they were getting rid of the headphone jack because it was obsolete (it’s not. If it was obsolete then, why do they still include it on new computers today?) Yhey also argued that they needed to remove it for water resistance. Except there were plenty of phones that were water resistant but still had the jack, so that was a lie. 

Tim Cook tried to boast courage, but he Didn’t have enough courage to tell the truth. 

I still miss the simplicity of wired headphones. You plug them in and they work. You know what device they’re connected to. No randomly switching devices. No dead batteries. No pairing. They just work. 

For all the people saying the headphone jack is old and is therefore obsolete, does your car have a steering wheel? Do you still use a keyboard?
    It was Phil Schiller that made the courage comment not Tim Cook. 
    ronn
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Getting worked up about the headphone jack being removed is a waste of time. The vast majority of iPhone users are totally okay with the move and Apple isn’t brining it back for a small group of folks no matter how vocal they are. Y’all remind me of the people that spent a decade plus bemoaning the fact that Apple killed HyperCard. 
    ronn
  • Reply 52 of 65
    I love my AirPods Pro. Never hear loud engine sound again when in flight (also don’t hear my wife calling me when at home). Don’t miss wired head set at all. 
    ronn
  • Reply 53 of 65
    thermtherm Posts: 4member
    There is a such a thing that people are calling search machine..

Floppy disks, CDs, DVDs and now (for over 5 years) the audio jack. Every time there is some poison to hit on Apple. Why the numbers show that from 2016 to today users are increased every f@cking year? Oh right, because of the inconvenience Apple offers them. Maybe that's what bother you?

Goodbye s@ckers Apple haters, you really deserve an android (a without audio jack one).
    Thanks Apple that you are making my digital life more easier for a looooong time (from Mac Plus II days, to my Mac mini M1).
    edited August 2022 anoylla
  • Reply 54 of 65
    That Apple accessory though is junk comparing to other alternatives. Someone who used it knows how fast it drains battery (comparing to others). It is also poor weak connector that one wants to wrap in white heat shrink to reinforce and prevent from tearing cable. You can get better made accessory like this with low latency on Amazon that are tougher built as well. If you really want low latency then perhaps you should consider Behringer professional devices instead of amateur Apple solutions... but sure Apple devices may not be supporting them... nothing new.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Problem with Apple removal of the SoC is that they did nothing to improve the audio over bluetooth, it's still crippled at AAC, meanwhile other manufacturers removed the jack while supporting higher bit rate codecs over bluetooth like LDAC, LDHC, Aptx HD, Aptx Lossless, Aptx Adaptive, SSC that push Bluetooth capability to its limit, those codecs are a hack of Bluetooth, doesn't use only A2DP but full Bluetooth capabilities to transfer data, some TWS with support for high bit rate audio and even planar drivers inside of them, meanwhile Apple still uses AAC in multi hundred dollar mediocre TWS and the OS is also crippled with only SBC and AAC.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    I love my AirPods Pro. Never hear loud engine sound again when in flight (also don’t hear my wife calling me when at home). Don’t miss wired head set at all. 
    AirPods Pro isn't the only earphones with ANC in the market, and neither the best, also you can have ANC with wires, like it existed way before Apple included in their products.
    I'm all for wireless, but audio quality over bluetooth is shit on iOS.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    This is an unquestionably wrong opinion and you should feel terrible for having it. This is another anticonsumer decision in a long line of anticonsumer decisions. The only way you could appreciate this decision is if you say: "I love apple products because they're apple products" without any other thought. If you're just a mindless shill then this is the best idea ever conceived. 
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Perhaps the average consumer can't hear the difference between wired and wireless headphones but I always saw Apple as catering to that particular market, the artist, whether for graphic or music, etc. 

I'll wait for a company to design a mobile for that niche of artists rather than the trend followers and will not buy Apple's own trend.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    20 years later...

27 years later, Apple was right to remove the 3.5mm headphone jack.  The 3.5mm headphone jack is about to die, any day now. To come to this conclusion, we've conveniently ignored surveys that suggest 80 to 90% of consumers still want Apple to bring back the headphone jack. Consumers largely still remember the money move when Apple announced the discontinuation of the 3.5 mm headphone jack port moments before announcing a new lucrative revenue stream named the AirPod.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 60 of 65
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    crowley said:
    jcs2305 said:
    avon b7 said:
    There are pros and cons to having a headphone jack.

It isn't about 'courage' though. That has nothing to do with anything. 

Right now (2022) I'd still Rather have one than not have one.

I thought the "courage" remark came when they killed the power brick in the iPhone, wit the 3.5mm jack? Both are silly examples of courage, but I just didn't think they said that same thing 7 years ago as well?
    No, he said it on stage about the headphone jack in 2016.  It wasn't said about the power brick.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/07/courage
    Thank you B)