Apple Store union distributes job surveys in preparation for negotiations

Posted:
in General Discussion
The union at an Apple Store in Towson, Maryland recently distributed surveys to union members as it prepares to kick off the bargaining process with Apple.

Apple Towson Town Center
Apple Towson Town Center

Workers at Apple Towson Town Center voted to union earlier in 2022, and their effort was certified by the National Labor Relations Board in late July. More than 100 employees were included in the vote.

The union, known as Coalition of Organized Retail Employees (CORE), recently distributed surveys to members with questions related to their job security, work satisfaction, benefits, and wages.

Apple retail employees at the Towson, Maryland store (the unionized location) were given bargaining surveys to fill out late last week. These are to guide the union in how they will negotiate with Apple. So far, no changes at store have been implemented due to unionization. pic.twitter.com/oKUP8wSeeC

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

Some of the questions ask union members to pick their most crucial issues, such as retirement, increased staffing, or respect from their employer. Other parts of the survey ask how important they view topics such as general wage increases, health and welfare, and transparency.

According to Bloomberg, the survey results will be used to guide how CORE negotiates with Apple. As of Aug. 23, no changes have been made at Apple Towson Town Center in the wake of the vote to unionize.

Apple has pushed back against unionization efforts at its retail locations. As of late August 2022, there were several stores in the process of organizing.

Just a few days ago, Apple addressed the unionization at Apple Towson Square by discussing anti-union talking points with staff. It has made similar moves earlier in 2022, and has also hired union-busting lawyers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Sad news.  And thanks to our overpowered unions, we will pay more for our products with no say in the mater.  I’m sure we can switch watches, phone & pads, there’s plenty of them around but I didn't want to switch, I can switch and live with it but...
    I'm 77 and have seen some good unions but I can't remember when.  Did Steve leave any notes that the new guy can read?  Steve had mostly content employees and hungry to work on Apple's. . 
    That's enough of this, I'm just mad I didn't buy more $5.00 stocks.
    Charlie  T
    edited August 2022 elijahgjamnap
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    In this economy? With instantly replaceable retail jobs , somebody needs to give these people better advice
    jamnap
  • Reply 3 of 3
    My ex-wife worked at the Apple Store when it first opened in Salt Lake in the 00s. From what I experienced second-hand, unionization of Apple's retail staff is long overdue.
    ronnFileMakerFeller