iPhone 14 Pro expected to have better low-light performance than iPhone 13 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2022
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts that iPhone 14 Pro models will see major camera upgrades that could result in better low-light performance -- but result in a more expensive higher-end lineup than the iPhone 13 Pro.

On Monday night, Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo tweeted predictions about the higher-end iPhone 14 line.

His predictions included an upgraded ultra-wide camera, increasing from a 1.0-micrometer pixel on the iPhone 13 Pro to a 1.4-micrometer pixel on the iPhone 14 Pro models. The increase would offer improved low-light image captures, nearly double the light captured per pixel.

(3/4)
I predict two iPhone 14 Pro models' ultra-wide cameras will upgrade to 1.4m (vs. iPhone 13 Pro's 1.0m). CIS (CMOS image sensor), VCM (voice coil motor), and CCM (compact camera module) have a significant unit price increase in this upgrade, with about 70%, 45%, and 40%.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

In total, Kuo believes that Apple will upgrade the iPhone 14 Pro CMOS image sensor, voice coil motor, and compact camera module. Kuo points out that the three upgrades could be as much as 70%, 45%, and 40% more expensive, respectively, than those found in the iPhone 13.

This is not incompatible with rumors of a 48-megapixel camera coming to the iPhone 14 Pro family. The camera is also expected to use pixel binning to improve color accuracy and low-light performance, with four discrete pixels being used for each generated pixel of a low-light photo. The array of four pixels equates to 1.4 micrometers, effectively being used to make one low-light pixel.

If true, the result will still be 12-megapixel photos for low-light photos, and up to 48 megapixels for brightly lit subjects.

The analyst also believes that component suppliers will reap the benefits of the upgrades. According to Kuo, Sony supplies the CMOS image sensor, Minebea and Largan supply the voice coil motor, and LG Innotek supplies the compact camera module.

Kuo recently stated that he believed the iPhone 14 might ship earlier in the year than the iPhone 13 did, based on clues from Apple's last earnings call.

He also predicts that Apple could announce its VR headset as early as January 2023, though it is not clear if the prediction is the result of new information from the supply chain.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    I wonder how large the file sizes will be for these 48MP images? Seems like a great strategy for Apple to sell iPhone Pros with more storage, and Apple marks up increased storage hugely over cost. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    charlesn said:
    I wonder how large the file sizes will be for these 48MP images? Seems like a great strategy for Apple to sell iPhone Pros with more storage, and Apple marks up increased storage hugely over cost. 
    Solution: Save photos (or most of them) online and not on the Camera Roll.  
  • Reply 3 of 12
    So no news at all. We all knew this all ready . 
    And saving photos on line or on device, it will al ways increase your costs. But you can stick with an older model. Say iPhone 4. Much smaller file size. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    I'm not convinced that Apple will make 48-megapixel photos the default size for still photos. That's likely beyond the resolving power of the lens. Camera shake from handholding (typical for smartphone photography) will also negate some of the benefits of the 48-megapixel array unless a tripod is used.

The primary reason for this high-resolution sensor is for better low-light imagery, particularly 4K video (which is about 8.9 megapixels) when the camera doesn't have much headroom for slow shutter speeds.

Video is a far bigger storage hog than photos. iPhones have been shooting 4K video for several generations of devices, this isn't news.
    edited August 2022
  • Reply 5 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    mpantone said:
    I'm not convinced that Apple will make 48-megapixel photos the default size for still photos. That's likely beyond the resolving power of the lens. Camera shake from handholding (typical for smartphone photography) will also negate some of the benefits of the 48-megapixel array unless a tripod is used.

The primary reason for this high-resolution sensor is for better low-light imagery, particularly 4K video (which is about 8.9 megapixels) when the camera doesn't have much headroom for slow shutter speeds.

Video is a far bigger storage hog than photos. iPhones have been shooting 4K video for several generations of devices, this isn't news.
    Almost certainly pixel binning will be used to output smaller file sizes.

Camera shake from handheld shots should not be a problem either. Huawei has been using the NPUs and AI to manage that aspect for a while now with outstanding results. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdoozydozengatorguy
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Mariner8 said:
    charlesn said:
    Solution: Save photos (or most of them) online and not on the Camera Roll.  
    Also gives the 1TB option a reason for living - provided Apple increases lightning speeds (as per another rumor).

Then you could save full resolution photos in the Photos app on your Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    So no news at all. We all knew this all ready . 
    And saving photos on line or on device, it will al ways increase your costs. But you can stick with an older model. Say iPhone 4. Much smaller file size. 
    Looking for some signs of irony … still don't see it.

I lost my iPhone 4 in the snow while plowing snow that winter - it continued to mock me for three or four days using the historical equivalent of Find My …

Found it later in the year with my snow blower. Sorta reminds me now of the Jack-in-the-box effect of a Russian tank when introduced to Sir Javelin.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    charlesn said:
    Apple didn’t devise 48MP images to upsell storage. Other devices are using them currently and nobody claimed conspiracies.
    beowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingamdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 12
    charlesn said:
    Apple didn’t devise 48MP images to upsell storage. Other devices are using them currently and nobody claimed conspiracies.
    Agree with you on this and it was a nonsensical claim on multiple levels. As Avon B7 has already pointed out, the file sizes of the photos won't be huge because they would still be 12MP images with pixel binning. And photos don't consume too much of storage, compared to videos.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Don’t get me wrong, I like taking better photos, but it’s funny how one of the iPhone’s biggest yearly upgrades now is a slightly better camera/lens. Given how little the “phone” aspect of these devices is used in context to the other features, I wonder if the “smartphone” moniker will eventually be replaced with something else more fitting…

Goes for any other brand as well. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    charlesn said:
    48 million pixels x 30-bits per pixel (HDR) = 180MB uncompressed. Visually lossless JPEG is 5-10x compression, so 18-36MB per photo.

32GB of storage would allow for 1000+ photos.

It's video that takes up heavy amounts of storage, especially ProRes.

It's possible to save smaller formats to save space though and the better sensors will offer better quality images and video for the smaller files.