Apple Watch Pro could have a $900 price tag at launch

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2022
Apple's upcoming launch of the Apple Watch Pro will make it the most expensive standard-grade model in the range, with a report doubling down on the initial cost of the new variant starting from $900 and potentially over $1,000.

Apple is expected to be introducing new Apple Watch Series 8 models during Wednesday's special event, and among them could be the new Apple Watch Pro. While physically bigger, the Apple Watch Pro could have a supersized price tag to match.

In his "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman writes a recap of rumors for the Apple Watch Pro, with the main point being its price. Gurman expects the watch to "come in at least $900 to $1,000," toping the existing Apple Watch Edition.

The high price is reasoned due to how Apple can reserve its significant new features for a more premium device, which can bring in more revenue.

This is not the first time Gurman has proposed Apple could charge a high fee for the Apple Watch Pro. In July, he expected it to have a price starting close to $900, with a similar justification.

The Apple Watch Pro is expected to have a larger screen and battery, use the S8 chip, and include a body temperature sensor. Using an all-new design that "revamps a form factor first introduced with the Series 4," says Gurman, the model will also sport a rugged titanium casing.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I just noticed yesterday that my screen had a scratch on it so I hope it has a more scratch resistant screen. Only a couple more days to find out.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I just noticed yesterday that my screen had a scratch on it so I hope it has a more scratch resistant screen. Only a couple more days to find out.
    Nothing is scratch resistant. I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of a scratch or two on their devices. Shit happens! I have scratches on my Apple Watch 6 and iPhone 12 Pro screen. It's gonna happen regardless. 
    lolliverstompy
  • Reply 3 of 12
    You can buy screen protectors for your Apple Watch. They are inexpensive and easy to apply. The one I put on my new Gold Aluminum Series 6 Apple Watch almost a year ago is still on it with almost no sign that it’s there.
    JFC_PAlolliver
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macxpress said:
    Nothing is scratch resistant. I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of a scratch or two on their devices. Shit happens! I have scratches on my Apple Watch 6 and iPhone 12 Pro screen. It's gonna happen regardless. 
    That is actually not true. The harder the surface is, the harder to scratch, but it would be accurate to say that nothing is scratch proof. iPhones were significantly more scratch resistant starting with the iPhone 7 with a hardness level of 6. So that means it can be scratched by an object with a higher rating but not by an object with a lower rating.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Color me surprised yet another Apple "most expensive to date" device.  This, plus the new iPhone 14 Pro Max which will also be the most expensive iPhone to date.

Stockholders thank everyone that buys one.
    grandact73
  • Reply 6 of 12
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    TANSTAAFL. 
    entropys
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    macxpress said:
    You are confusing scratch resistance and scratch proofness. Nothing is scratch proof. There are plenty of things that are scratch resistant. 

Some glass materials are more scratch resistant than others. Like pretty much anything else, choosing a particular material is a compromise in a variety of characteristics, some good, some bad: scratch resistance, shatter resistance, performance under different conditions (thermal, etc.), light transmission and other optical performance (glare, chromatic aberration), other handling characteristics like smudge resistance, glare, maintenance requirements, ease of manufacturing, safety, and of course, cost.

So proprietary formulas like Seiko Hardlex mineral glass, Corning Gorilla Glass, and non-proprietary formulas like borosilicate glass might be useful for some applications (like supermarket laser product scanners) but not others (like wineglasses or beer bottles).

There are also characteristics that manifest after shattering. How does it break? Knife-like shards from untempered glass? Pebbly pieces like tempered glass?

Something like sapphire glass is frequently used on smartphone lens covers and watch faces when scratch resistance benefits outweigh poorer optical performance and higher costs. A scratch on smartphone lens compromises image capturing quality forever after. A scratch on a watch face is basically cosmetic unless it affects touchscreen capacitance.

I have a divers watch (rated for 200 meters) and two chronographs (both rated for 100 meters). The oldest chronograph (over 35 years old) has scratches on the face. I wish they weren't there but they don't affect the watch's performance. Apple doesn't believe that Joe Consumer is going to keep using his Apple Watch for 30 years.
    edited September 2022 chasm
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I totally forgot that Apple uses two different forms of display glass. The aluminum watch uses Ion-X glass which is similar to Gorilla Glass and the high end watches use Sapphire-Crystal glass. I did some research and found out that the only thing that can scratch sapphire-crystal glass is diamond. So I guess if you really hate scratches you can buy either the stainless steel or titanium models and they very likely won’t scratch. or I guess this years Pro model as well.
    JFC_PAfred1
  • Reply 9 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    If the watch could function as a phone and not require me to have an iPhone, working instead with my iPad Pro, it would be worth more. But a grand for a watch that will be replaced in a couple of years? No thanks.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    davgreg said:
    If the watch could function as a phone and not require me to have an iPhone, working instead with my iPad Pro, it would be worth more. But a grand for a watch that will be replaced in a couple of years? No thanks.
    I agree, would need something more substantial game changing as suggested above or game changing glucose monitoring capabilities 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    So, IOW, the Apple Watch Pro is the new version of the Titanium/Ceramic/Gold "fashion" Apple Watches, only this one is geared to wealthy workout folk along with wealthy celebrities etc. The features detailed in the article don't come anywhere near justifying the price until the word "titanium" pops up.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It just needs to be competitively featured and priced against high end sports watches, like Garmin.

it will certainly be more featured, but battery life no.